Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Just starting and feeling defeated! (Please forgive the ranting) page 3

  1. #21
    Traderjodie's Avatar
    Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    28
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks again everyone. Its good to be reminded that going part of the way is still progress. I absolutely love the analogy comparing learning about primal to taking the red pill. I just can't blithely put things into my mouth anymore. I can't "unknow" what I know. But its also a little bit like having the floor pulled out from under you plank by plank. For me the Tuna was just a breaking point. As someone else so eloquently said, tuna in water should be tun in water, damn it!

    You start to wonder if you can't do all of it, if you can't eliminate soy and everything else, is it worth doing at all? Now the truth is that I know the answer to this question already because I feel so much better. I went to a party yesterday that was advertised as a "BBQ" and turned out to be nothing but pasta! There was literally nothing but different kinds of pasta and a few pieces of celery and peppers. In the old days I would have been devastated and panicky. But I had had a decent breakfast of eggs and bacon and although I was hungry, I wasn't crazy. I just didn't eat until many hours later when I finally got home. I would never ever have been able to do that in the past. So I know this is the right path. I just don't know how far along it I can walk.

    Again, thanks everyone for the wonderful support.

  2. #22
    KathyH's Avatar
    KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    As for the meats, you don't have to eat grass fed or pastured meats.
    Why? I thought this was the premise of the Paleo to eat clean food and conventional meats certainly are not.

  3. #23
    KathyH's Avatar
    KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Defrost a pack of chicken, cook it all up, and eat it over the course of a week. Or: cook it up, portion it out into single servings, put into plastic baggies or tupperware and freeze. Take out a single serving whenever you want, defrost in the microwave, and boom: chicken.
    Sorry, but that's just gross. I like my food freshly prepared, but if someone likes it then OK.

  4. #24
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Why? I thought this was the premise of the Paleo to eat clean food and conventional meats certainly are not.
    I get that you are one of the grass-fed pastured meat eating crusader but you cannot make that kind of carte blanche statements. It is misleading. Conventional meats might not be the pinnacle of 100% primal or paleo compliant eating, but it is certainly a step and a cut above eating SAD. smh

  5. #25
    KathyH's Avatar
    KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    I get that you are one of the grass-fed pastured meat eating crusader but you cannot make that kind of carte blanche statements. It is misleading. Conventional meats might not be the pinnacle of 100% primal or paleo compliant eating, but it is certainly a step and a cut above eating SAD. smh
    I am sorry but you are wrong. In my opinion your are better off not eating it at all than eating hormones and antibiotics.

  6. #26
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I am sorry but you are wrong. In my opinion your are better off not eating it at all than eating hormones and antibiotics.
    Nuff said

  7. #27
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Sorry, but that's just gross. I like my food freshly prepared, but if someone likes it then OK.
    I am probably really gross then. I do that all the time with chicken. Cook it and portion it out and freeze it. Many other things also, like boiled eggs for the frig, etc. It is a time saver for one thing, but it is also helps me to just be prepared incase I want something quick. Could be my imagination but I think it enhances the flavor of the chicken to be sealed up w/spices and juices, etc.

    I started doing this with kids in the house, and kids in college that need to grab something to take for lunch. My son can grab a chicken breast at midnight and whip something up w/o me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  8. #28
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Opinions opinions... *sigh* Kathy, it's more important to get the basics down and follow the spirit of Paleo/Primal than to be paranoid and extreme. I do not believe that our Grok Father, Mark Sisson, is a food Nazi, and that was never part of the plan. He encourages us to GET THE BEST WE CAN AFFORD. If one can only afford conventional meat, while ditching the rest of the processed junk, they're much better off than they were before.
    Frankly I would rather eat conventional meat than be a vegetarian. There's just no happy in veganism. It's like when they take the fat out of chocolate and replace it with fruit juice. All the happy is gone.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  9. #29
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Opinions opinions... *sigh* Kathy, it's more important to get the basics down and follow the spirit of Paleo/Primal than to be paranoid and extreme. I do not believe that our Grok Father, Mark Sisson, is a food Nazi, and that was never part of the plan. He encourages us to GET THE BEST WE CAN AFFORD. If one can only afford conventional meat, while ditching the rest of the processed junk, they're much better off than they were before.
    Frankly I would rather eat conventional meat than be a vegetarian. There's just no happy in veganism. It's like when they take the fat out of chocolate and replace it with fruit juice. All the happy is gone.
    lol agreed!

  10. #30
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,547
    Jeez kathyh you must live a stressful life.

    An animal, even one that grazed our nation's public lands then spent a few weeks in a feed lot eating corn, is going to provide far more nutritious protein and fat than any food lab can produce and more bioavailable vitamins than most plants will. So go ahead and eat your CAFO beef with your head held high.

    As for tuna with soy in it, I have found that name brands tend to cut more corners so they can afford more marketing. So read labels like a hawk. Bumblebee actually just lost a class-action lawsuit for not putting as much tuna in the can as they should have. Trust no one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •