Thread: Omega-3 Gummies page

kevinh is offline Junior Member

Omega-3 Gummies

My girlfriend is non-primal and can't swallow fish oil pills (because of the odor/taste). Is taking omega-3 gummies better than nothing? Or do the added ingredients outweigh the benefits? Should she rely more on flax instead?

Omega-3 Gummies on Amazon: Link

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Oops, was going to post the ingredients, but they accidentally put the B-12 ingredients on the page.

Carry on...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

kevinh is offline Junior Member
    obviously, paleo people wouldn't touch the stuff. but is it marginally beneficial for those that haven't gone paleo?

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    According to the nutritional info, two of those Gummies contain 50 mg of DHA and 10 mg of EPA. Two soft gels of Nordic Naturals Omega 3 contain 330 mg of EPA and 220 mg of DHA. So sugar issues aside, just looking at the Omega 3 content, these gummies are pure junk.

I have issues with fish burps from pills myself. My solution was to try a more natural approach. Consider that a half a can of Sardines (and I'm using VitalChoice Extra Virgin Olive Oil packed sardines for this) contains 1066 mg of DHA and 1382 mg of EPA. It's also loaded with protein and calcium.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
    My girlfriend is non-primal and can't swallow fish oil pills (because of the odor/taste). Is taking omega-3 gummies better than nothing? Or do the added ingredients outweigh the benefits? Should she rely more on flax instead?

Omega-3 Gummies on Amazon: Link
    Can she eat pasture-raised eggs? They would be a better bet for quality o-3 than the gummies.

amdws1234 is offline Member
    Carlson's fish oil. The lemon and orange flavors mask the fish, I add to smoothies for the kids.

I take it straight myself, wash it down with some iced green tea. A smidge of the fruit taste remains...

Mamchibi is offline Junior Member
    I take fermented cod liver oil from a spoon. The flavors really do help. I take the cinnamon flavor and bypass the tastebuds as much as possible. Really, only cinnamon "burps", no fishy burps or taste at all. Takes a little getting used to, but once you master it, it's sure a lot cheaper than capsules and better for you than flax.
    please be patient with me, i'm a newbie.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have the Chocolate Cream flavored Butter Oil/ Cold Liver Oil, which I had great hopes for, but it honestly tastes like chocolate covered fish. Not pleasant.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I have the Chocolate Cream flavored Butter Oil/ Cold Liver Oil, which I had great hopes for, but it honestly tastes like chocolate covered fish. Not pleasant.
    Eewww.....

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

from here: 8 Easy Ways to Load Up on Healthy Omega-3 Fats - US News and World Report

You should eat fish a couple times a week. The federal government's latest dietary guidelines, released in early 2011, suggest a specific amount—8 ounces a week—to get an average total daily intake of 250 mg. of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), two main types of omega-3s. Here's a look at some popular fish and shellfish and their approximate total content of those two fatty acids per 4-ounce portion:

Salmon (Atlantic, Chinook, Coho): 1,200-2,400 mg.
    Anchovies: 2,300-2,400 mg.
    Bluefin tuna: 1,700 mg; yellowfin tuna: 150-350; canned: 150-300 mg.
    Sardines: 1,100-1,600 mg.
    Trout: 1,000-1,100 mg.
    Crab: 200-550 mg.
    Cod: 200 mg.
    Scallops: 200 mg.
    Lobsters: 200 mg.
    Tilapia: 150 mg.
    Shrimp: 100 mg.
    reduce all the added garbage 0-6 foods and oils. eat real food, including pastured eggs. no candy vitamins will be necessary.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway