Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegatarian and being primal?

Hybrid View

Vegatarian and being primal?

I was vegetarian for a long time, but decided that I do miss meat at times so I include it in my diet here and there. Just wondering how the primal elitists feel about vegetarians/vegans, do you think they are doomed in life? I know some vegetarians/vegans and they are in impeccable health, and they live on grains, pasta, legumes, beans, etc. One important and alarming issue I have seen on this forum is people who never had high cholesterol problems, now have them. I have never meet a vegetarian with high cholesterol. Just wondering if they are any primal vegetarians out there?

How is high cholesterol a problem?
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    How is high cholesterol a problem?
    Quite akin to taking the blue pill or the red pill....one leads to truth, but the other is quite comfortable and considered the normal accepted range.

Take the red pill!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

For one thing, without eating fish, vegetarians don't get any anti-inflammatory omega 3's to fight off all of the inflammatory omega 6's so there's a major heart attack risk, as well as the other things inflammation does to you. Also, depending on what you specifically eat, you may not get all of your essential amino acids or have an imbalance of them and end up with a deficiency. By cutting out meat, you also miss out on all of the fat soluble vitamins and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. You can also end up with deficiencies in minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium because of all of the phytates you're eating in the grains and legumes. So yeah, vegetarians are pretty much f***ed. They won't drop dead instantly but over time, all of the deficiencies will take their toll and something will go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    For one thing, without eating fish, vegetarians don't get any anti-inflammatory omega 3's to fight off all of the inflammatory omega 6's so there's a major heart attack risk, as well as the other things inflammation does to you. Also, depending on what you specifically eat, you may not get all of your essential amino acids or have an imbalance of them and end up with a deficiency. By cutting out meat, you also miss out on all of the fat soluble vitamins and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. You can also end up with deficiencies in minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium because of all of the phytates you're eating in the grains and legumes. So yeah, vegetarians are pretty much f***ed. They won't drop dead instantly but over time, all of the deficiencies will take their toll and something will go wrong.
    This is CW, hope you realize that.

You can do it as a vegetarian eating eggs and some high fat dairy, and being a pescatarian would be even better.

As a strict vegan? No way.

And I'm with Knifegill - why is high cholesterol an issue? I'd be more worried about low cholesterol and high triglycerides.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

My cholesterol when I was a vegetarian had my doctor threatening statins even though I was in my 20s. And I was a pescatarian vegetarian. I have no idea if my high meat diet has made it worse, though.

Sometimes I really miss beans, lentils and tahini. I might have a big huge vegetarian dinner some day as a cheat meal.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I might have a big huge vegetarian dinner some day as a cheat meal.
    Years ago, did you ever think you'd be saying something like this?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I was veggie and had high cholesterol.

Has anyone pointed you to the Cholesterol primer? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Sometimes I really miss beans, lentils and tahini. I might have a big huge vegetarian dinner some day as a cheat meal.
    lol.