Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegatarian and being primal? page

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member

Vegatarian and being primal?

I was vegetarian for a long time, but decided that I do miss meat at times so I include it in my diet here and there. Just wondering how the primal elitists feel about vegetarians/vegans, do you think they are doomed in life? I know some vegetarians/vegans and they are in impeccable health, and they live on grains, pasta, legumes, beans, etc. One important and alarming issue I have seen on this forum is people who never had high cholesterol problems, now have them. I have never meet a vegetarian with high cholesterol. Just wondering if they are any primal vegetarians out there?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    How is high cholesterol a problem?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    How is high cholesterol a problem?
    Quite akin to taking the blue pill or the red pill....one leads to truth, but the other is quite comfortable and considered the normal accepted range.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Take the red pill!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

abstract is offline Junior Member
    For one thing, without eating fish, vegetarians don't get any anti-inflammatory omega 3's to fight off all of the inflammatory omega 6's so there's a major heart attack risk, as well as the other things inflammation does to you. Also, depending on what you specifically eat, you may not get all of your essential amino acids or have an imbalance of them and end up with a deficiency. By cutting out meat, you also miss out on all of the fat soluble vitamins and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. You can also end up with deficiencies in minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium because of all of the phytates you're eating in the grains and legumes. So yeah, vegetarians are pretty much f***ed. They won't drop dead instantly but over time, all of the deficiencies will take their toll and something will go wrong.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You can do it as a vegetarian eating eggs and some high fat dairy, and being a pescatarian would be even better.

As a strict vegan? No way.

And I'm with Knifegill - why is high cholesterol an issue? I'd be more worried about low cholesterol and high triglycerides.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My cholesterol when I was a vegetarian had my doctor threatening statins even though I was in my 20s. And I was a pescatarian vegetarian. I have no idea if my high meat diet has made it worse, though.

Sometimes I really miss beans, lentils and tahini. I might have a big huge vegetarian dinner some day as a cheat meal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I might have a big huge vegetarian dinner some day as a cheat meal.
    Years ago, did you ever think you'd be saying something like this?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    I was vegetarian for a long time, but decided that I do miss meat at times so I include it in my diet here and there. Just wondering how the primal elitists feel about vegetarians/vegans, do you think they are doomed in life? I know some vegetarians/vegans and they are in impeccable health, and they live on grains, pasta, legumes, beans, etc. One important and alarming issue I have seen on this forum is people who never had high cholesterol problems, now have them. I have never meet a vegetarian with high cholesterol. Just wondering if they are any primal vegetarians out there?
    Yes there are Primal vegetarians out there, and opinion is divided as to the merits of it. A quick use of the forum search function should reveal many lengthy and interesting discussions on this. Here's one for starters. I can't think of any specific names of forum vegetarians, but I'm sure they'll pop up in due course. And then it depends on your definition of vegetarian. I know people who call themselves vegetarian but eat fish. I've never understood that one.

As for cholesterol, you'd be best off reading Mark's posts on cholesterol (or the section in the PB book). A lot of people here don't think high cholesterol is a problem, and they're probably right (depending on the type of cholesterol). It's considered one of the great fallacies of CW that high cholesterol = about to drop dead, and low cholesterol = no heart attack.

I'd be careful about saying that you know lots of vegans/vegetarians that are in impeccable health. Do you really know what's going on inside their arteries in terms of plaque build up and inflammation? So many people die far earlier than they should - and how many times do you hear "I don't understand. He/she was a vegetarian and used to run 6-miles five times a week" or something similar. I hear it too often to not think that there's more at play than total cholesterol readings.
    Last edited by Englishman in Oz; 08-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yes, it's entirely possible and there are vegetarian primals.

you can eat meat once a day or once a month or whatever you want. no bigs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast