Thread: Post Prandial Blood Sugar page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Post Prandial Blood Sugar

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I am have having fun with my new BG meter. My morning fasting BG is 90/91. This is down only 4 points from my pri-primal days when I was eating tons of cereal grain. Today I ate almost a pint of Graters ice cream. I didn't measure starting BG but at 1 hour I was 201. Chris Kresser says permanent damage occurs above 140. I don't eat ice cream too often but when I do, I can polish off a few pints easily. Question: Does 201 sound high? If a person had a perfectly normal, healthy insulin response and ate a pint of rich ice cream (124 grams of carbs), how many points would their BG rise 1 hour post-prandial? Thanks.

EDIT: 134 at 2 hours post-prandial.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 08-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    That's not normal. A normal blood sugar number 1 hour after eating should be UNDER 140. If it is over this, it means your body cannot properly handle the load it was given.

You are damaging your system by overloading it like that. Stop it!

Fasting is below 85
    1 hour post eating is under 140
    2 hours post eating is under 125
    3 hours post eating is back to fasting level.

Morning fasting can be a little higher and that's called "Dawn Phenomenon" but your 3 hour post meal numbers need to be under 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    That's not normal. A normal blood sugar number 1 hour after eating should be UNDER 140. If it is over this, it means your body cannot properly handle the load it was given.

You are damaging your system by overloading it like that. Stop it!

Fasting is below 85
    1 hour post eating is under 140
    2 hours post eating is under 125
    3 hours post eating is back to fasting level.

Morning fasting can be a little higher and that's called "Dawn Phenomenon" but your 3 hour post meal numbers need to be under 85.
    Yep, it is worse than that because I was 140 at 3 hours. Looks like I will have to be much more aware of my carb intake. I am 63 and I guess years of bad CW eating have made me insulin resistant.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    It's just that too much is too much. Your question was no different than asking what a healthy person's response would be to eating a bag of sugar or a jar of honey. The person is normal, but even a healthy body can only handle so much at a time.

Most people don't check their blood sugar, let alone when they binge. Just because the yearly blood tests come back as good, doesn't mean that they aren't still bombing their systems when they eat a gallon of ice cream. It still hurts them. It just depends on how many times they can do it without breaking their system.

Baba is offline Member
    If you usually eat low-carb, the blood sugar spike can be higher than normal once you hit the system with a pint of ice-cream. It is just not used to handle sugar any more. Plus it depends a bit on the ice-cream: I don't know Graters, but a high fat-content can delay the spike (and thus the return to normal). You'd have to test more often to find out.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    200 is too high. I have been diabetic for seven years albeit mildly. I really have to work at it to go over 200. I would recommend you have a talk with your doctor because anything over 200 is considered in the diabetic range. In the meanwhile be good about keeping things reduced carb.

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Everybody calm the hell down...... From Health and Human Services (HHS), and don't we all love these a-holes!

OGTT

Research has shown that the OGTT is more sensitive than the FPG test for diagnosing prediabetes, but it is less convenient to administer. The OGTT requires fasting for at least 8 hours before the test. The plasma glucose level is measured immediately before and 2 hours after a person drinks a liquid containing 75 grams of glucose dissolved in water. Results and their meaning are shown in Table 2. If the blood glucose level is between 140 and 199 mg/dL 2 hours after drinking the liquid, the person has a form of prediabetes called impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). Having IGT, like having IFG, means a person has an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes but does not have it yet. A 2-hour glucose level of 200 mg/dL or above, confirmed by repeating the test on another day, means a person has diabetes.

If at the 2 hour mark you're still above 140, call the doc because apparently you're prediabetic. Keep in mind, you almost doubled the dose that they use for the test. I eat LC most of the time, have fasted all day, and just had a huge dinner consisting of mostly healty fats and protein (but also some buffalo chicken, so there was some breading in there, as well as some simple sugars) and my sugar still spiked up to 154 at 1 hour post meal. Much higher than that meal would've commanded if my diet consisted of more carbs on a regular basis.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Well, I am learning a lot about myself with my BG meter. Chris Kresser says to shoot for <140 @ 1 hour and < 120 @ 2 hours. I can do that by limiting my carb intake to 35-40 grams. So, instead of eating a nice big sweet potato, I can only eat 1/4 of one. It is a big adjustment but doable. For me, at least, I don't see much significance in GI. It seems like carbs are carbs. My BG seems to react to 50 grams of broccoli carbs the same way it responds to 50 grams of sweet potato carbs or 50 grams of ice cream carbs. Wish I knew about this stuff 50 years ago. At 63, my wife says I am crazy to be worried about my BG. She says you have to die of something. However, I figure if I can stop doing damage now, maybe my next 10-15 years stroke-free.