Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Sungrazer) page

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Sungrazer)

Last night at 22:00 CET I completed my first 24 hour fast since I've begun primal living. Done it in the past so I knew pretty much what to expect.

I started the fast the previous day by eating normally during the day but my last meal was a 3 egg omelette with sweet peppers, shallots, mushroom, pepper, salt and butter (i know not strictly primal, but the taste of butter is sooo good).

Felt fine all day until noon when I started to get some hunger pangs which I quenched with some more water. Kept drinking water throughout the day and had one cup of coffee at 16:00.

Lifted about 5 tonnes of iron (squats, bench press and chest dips) before I went home from work and didn't feel too shabby about it.

Came home and did some chores with my kids and wife, they had already eaten dinner so there was a delicious smell of fishcakes, vegetables and butter in the air. Weird how my sense of smell really get sharpened during fast.

Got the kids tucked to bed around 20:00, and got some firewood and the stove going. Sat down to read a book (Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space). Drank around another liter of water before 21 when I started to prepare my first meal in 24 hours.

At 22:00 I had the best grilled chicken ever with cauliflower mash made with garlic, butter, pepper, salt and parmesan cheese. Ate 3/4ths of the chicken, savoring the fatty bits and really enjoying mopping up the fat with the lesser fatty bit. 1/3 into the meal I dropped fork and knife and went primal eating with my fingers.

I indulged myself with a 2 squares of 86% chocolate and a handful of pistachios after the meal plus half a liter of water.

Things I noticed:
    1) I got a little bit more annoyed with people around me as more hungry I got - need to work on that.
    2) Sense of smell improved
    3) Drink lots of water - both to keep the fat burning in progress, and to keep ketone breath at bay
    4) Don't eat so much in the first setting after a fast. I felt really bloated after.

All in all a very successful 24 hour fast. I am probably fully fat-adapted since I've been about 90-95% since january, and started eating LCHF in august 2009. Had a short lapse in the beginning of December when I was admitted to the hospital with a burst appendix. Nothing I'd want my worst enemy to have, btw - excruciating pain. Something that would have killed Grok for sure. Yay! for modern medicine. Except for the glucose I was pumped full of during the stay - talk about sugar rush! Woah!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the fast completion! I was fine with my first one the other day, then the last two hours hit, and I was having a hard time! Kinda strange how I'm starting to think about my next fast. Hmmmmm

Smile Log entry #1

Basics
    Slept for approximately 8 hours, woke up once because one of the kids had a bad dream.

Training
    Chest dips 3 x 10 @100 kg
    Push ups 3 x 20 bodyweight
    Squats 3 x 10 x 36 kg - probably did them too fast, got a small stinging pain in my right knee. Passed today.

Supplements
    Superba Krill Oil
    Kelp
    Multivitamin

Diet
    2400 kcal/ 98g protein / 220g fat / 15g karbohydrates
    1 cup of coffee / 3,5 litre water.

Random Thoughts
    Feeling good, but need to remind myself to stand at work more often and try not slouch at the desk. Snow is starting to melt, so no more cross country skiing this year. Time to bring out the bicycle and start preparing for bare roads and trekking into the forest.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Basics
    Didn't sleep well tonight. Woke up a lot and was terribly dry in my mouth. I've had problems with my sinuses and this morning, well - I'll spare you the details because it was gross. Felt a lot better afterwards though. Still a little obstructed in my left nostril. I hope it will clear up during the day.

Training
    Going for a slow walk down to a stream later and see if I can spot some trout. Hope to catch some later this year.

Supplements
    Superbra Krill Oil - 1000 mg
    Kelp
    Multivitamin

Diet
    Didn't eat much yesterday, 2 eggs omelette, some nuts, one apple and 200 grams of salmon with broccoli. Had lots of water though.

Random Thoughts
    I think I have cabin fever. Annoyed with kids and wife a lot of the time. Need to get out, and away from the house by myself for a couple of hours. I wish I could get my wife and kids over to primal as well. The have all the characteristics of high and low blood sugar roller coaster. I cooked eggs for my kids this morning, but my wife had them eat bread with salami, melted cheese and ketchup. :/ Much to my dismay I might add. I'll save the eggs for myself until later.

I made some energy muffins by melting cocoa and coconut oil (with water bath) adding chopped almonds and walnuts. Put everything in muffin forms and into the fridge to cool off.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-02-2010 at 02:56 AM.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    It is tough when you can't get the other family members on your side. Since I'm the primary cook, there's no pasta or rice anymore. But I can't get them to stop eating bread with sandwiches instead of finding an alternative.

Hope you got away for a bit!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

jrherring: thanks - I did manage to get a little away. Felt a lot better. The gym I am frequenting is closed for Easter so I don't have that option now. Need to use my imagination instead. So yesterday I filled two used 5 litre cans of window washer liquid for cars with water and used them as kettle bells. Handle was a bit small so I had to use them single handedly. Could have been a little heavier though. I usually toss around 16 and 24 kg kettle bells.

Basic
    Got a decent amount of sleep, but woke up several times during the night because of clogged nose. It's strange. I had half an apple leftover from my kids and it seems like every time I eat something with more carbs than I am used to my sinuses act up.

Training
    Since the gym is closed I am doing bodyweight exercises push-ups, sit-ups, planks, squats and pull-ups. Going for a slow walk later.

Supplements
    Superbra Krilloil
    Kelp
    Multivitamin

Diet
    IF for breakfast
    Had some grilled pork for dinner, and 6 strips of bacon and 2 eggs for supper. I also made some energy muffins out of 4 squares of 86% cocoa, 2 dl of cocosa a handful of nuts and almonds which I chopped up. I then melted the cocoa and cocosa over a waterbath and used paper muffin forms to hold the nuts and meltet cocosa / cocoa. Into the fridge too cool and one hour later delicious "muffins". I made four and had all during the day.

Random Thoughs
    Wish spring would be here soon. There is so much I want to do around the house and that needs to be done. Snowed yesterday and tonight. Freezing today.

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there, bro.. spring is coming! Good luck with the fever, I hope it passes soon!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Sungrazer, congrats on the IF, and thanks for starting a journal! Hunger is the best sauce, eh? I've started really looking forward to fasting for this reason. It's the only way on earth to make bacon taste even better.

What a drag that your family doesn't get it yet. But they will, I am sure, as your transformation progresses.

Spring is already here, so I hope the weather lightens up for you soon! In the meantime, there's always snow shoveling...

Timothy, hunger really is the best chef. My wife is starting to get into it, but not fully. Not willing to let those snacks go and she almost has a mortal fear of eating meat. :S Fish she can do, chicken to a certain degree, but not beef and other delicious meats. Oh, well. My youngest daughter I am sure would be a carnivore given the chance, my oldest daughter is under heavy "cultural" influence - towards CW. They are aged 4 and 6 respectively.

Basic
    Sleept decently well tonight, sinuses clearing up. Been massively tired lately so I am glad I got about 7 hours sleep.

Training
    Nothing today, relax day. Unless you call flying r/c helicopters training. Going to the RC field to clock some hours.

Supplements
    Superba Krill Oil
    Kelp
    Multivitamin

Diet
    B: IF
    L: 2 egg and 6 strips of bacon
    D: home made meatballs with cauliflower mash. Excellent stuff.

Random Thoughts
    Wife and kids out of the house, been cleaning the dishes and fixing the cat toilet. Going to the airfield and fly my r/c helicopter for the first time this year. Excellent way to relax your mind. Think of anything else than keep that thing flying and it goes smack into the ground.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Basic
    Slept fairly well, woke up relaxed and fit for a new day.

Training
    Started with the Stronglift 5 x 5 program today. Did program A with squats (5 x 5 x 20 kg), bench press (5 x 5 x 20 kg), Inverted Rows (3 x F), Push Ups (3 x F) and finally Reverse Crunch (3 x 12). Warmed up with 2000m on a rowing machine.

Diet
    3 eggs with 6 strips of bacon for breakfast. 3 eggs and salted meat for late lunch. I guess supper will be IF today.

Supplements
    Superba krill oil
    Kelp
    Multivitamin

Random Thoughts
    Felt good to work out to day, didn't take long, but it was a goal oriented workout and good to finally have a plan behind my workouts. Have started to toy with the idea of making a home gym in my garage. I have the room and just need a basic set of equipment. Must look into it.

Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast