Thread: My 30 days of change page

bsmith35 is offline Junior Member

My 30 days of change

Shop Now
    Hello everyone/anyone who may read this blog. I am attempting a 30 day change. I've been following PB for a while now but have hit a wall and need to refocus and use more of the "laws" instead of just nutrition. I tried CW of high carb/low fat and tons of cardio and I actually gained five pounds. My cardiovascular endurance went through the roof but my body was destroyed. When I graduated high school I probably had less than 5% BF, weighed less than 140 lbs and was eating McDonalds four times a day. I was put on meds for depression and within a year reached 190 lbs. I stopped the meds and dropped about 15 lbs. Then I quit using tobacco and thought I should diet better due to the normal weight gain associated with tobacco stoppage. So it began:

Past and current stats:

Past CW stats:

5'7" Male
    172 lbs
    22.7% BF

After high sugar/low fat diet and chronic cardio for 4 months:

177 lbs
    22.7% BF

I was amazed that I actually gained weight and didn't lose an ounce of BF. That's when I found Marks Site.

Starting June 11th:

176.6 lbs
    22.7% BF

On July 1st:

164 lbs
    20.5% BF

On July 30th:

163.5 lbs
    18.8% BF

My goals for now are varied. I really am not a "fat guy." I just have unwanted excess BF. For the next 30 days I am doing the following:

1. 30 days of whole food challenge - this really won't be hard other than giving up my primal fuel shakes and dark chocolate.

2. Supplementation using Marks Advanced Health formula, pro-biotics, and fish oil

3. I have deleted my facebook and twitter accounts

4. Traded my iPhone for a crappy flip phone

5. No TV in the bedroom - get better sleep - hard to do with work...I am a fireman so we get up throughout the night when I'm on duty.

6. More time with family and nature on a daily basis

7. Decrease BF % with an ultimate of of sub 10% (not so much a 30 day goal as a long term goal)

8. Leave work at work - THIS IS HUGE FOR ME!!!!!

9. Mixture of crossfit and PBF to burn some calories and shred BF

10.Try some IF and see if that changes anything

Thanks for looking! I will update in the evenings and hopefully this will change some things for me on a personal and emotional level. Any advice/help/input appreciated!!! Thanks!

Brian

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty solid! I like how you've prioritized sleep and reducing stress at home.

Deleting your Facebook and trading down your iPhone? You're braver than most, sir. You'll only pry my iPhone out of my cold, dead fingers.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

roden is offline Junior Member
    I concur with Sophie. You're pretty hardcore for cutting down on the technology.

Out of curiosity, are you going to be including nuts, fruit, and dairy in your whole food selections? Additionally, have you ever done IF before or is it your first try?

Good luck - you sound motivated, and I'm sure you'll do great!

bsmith35 is offline Junior Member
    roden,

I've been eating this way for a while. I've included dairy, dark chocolate, wine and way too much fruit in the past. I will still be including fruit but keeping it to no more than 2-3 servings a day. I will also include some nuts if I feel the need..probably almonds or walnuts. I haven't really done IF before...Today I went until around 1pm to eat and last time I ate was yesterday around 8 pm...so i guess thats around 17 hours or so. Probably the longest I've gone.

Otherwise a good day!

Breakfast:

2 eggs cooked in clarified grassfed butter
    3 slices of organic all natural bacon
    1 plum

dinner

photo.jpg

beet and carrot roasted salad with flank steak
    1 peach

snack

strawberries/blueberries

Probably have another easy snack tonight. Not sure what yet...maybe some veggies or more fruit. haven't logged many calories today but I also haven't been hungry.

As far as fitness goes...went outside with the kids most of the day and jogged around the block while trying to teach my daughter to ride a bike.

More to come tomorrow!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey, another Buckeye!

Re the technology thing - seriously, GOOD FOR YOU!! This family has absolutely no television service at all. We do own an HDTV, but it sits in a wooden cabinet with doors until we are ready to use it, and it plays netflix and DVD's. The teenage daughters have TracFones, and not because we cannot afford better phones, but because we decided that all media in general really gets in the way of face-to-face, slower, more meaningful real conversation and life and such. The hubby is a computer geek (he works in the field), and I am on here with you, so I obviously do take advantage of technology. But once the withdrawal symptoms subside, you will wonder at the lower level of stress.

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone in that choice.