Thread: taking a step back. page

bugleboy68 is offline Junior Member

taking a step back.

Shop Now
    Hello all, I am a 44 year old male and for the past 7 years i have been at a steady 310-320lbs and stand 5' 10" tall. I started eating paleo back in April and since have lost 45lbs with out much effort. Lately though I have began craving carbs, especiallty refined sugars and even have given in a few times this last week. I didnt have these cravings when I first started. My question is, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this and what did they do to combat the cravings. Any advice will be greatly appreciate, thankyou.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    In my experience, 'cravings' are in my head. Without realizing it, I'm dwelling on how 'nice' it would be to have x, y, or z, and before I know it, I'm hungry for that food and nothing else will satisfy me.

I deal with this by trying to stop thinking about the food as soon as I realize what's happening. I need to distract my mind--exercise, house cleaning, a brisk walk--any physical activity that pushes me out of 'craving' mode usually works.

If I don't stop the process soon enough and am really stuck craving something, what works for me is to say to myself, "That sounds good. I'll have it tomorrow." Seriously, I've found that once I do that, I stop thinking about the food, and the next day, I no longer need to have it at all.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Your body may need a break from losing weight before its ready to lose more. I would consider increasing healthy carbs for a few days to see if that breaks your cravings.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugleboy68 View Post
    Hello all, I am a 44 year old male and for the past 7 years i have been at a steady 310-320lbs and stand 5' 10" tall. I started eating paleo back in April and since have lost 45lbs with out much effort. Lately though I have began craving carbs, especiallty refined sugars and even have given in a few times this last week. I didnt have these cravings when I first started. My question is, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this and what did they do to combat the cravings. Any advice will be greatly appreciate, thankyou.
    Probably what has happened is that you are leptin resistant. Fat is what produces the leptin to tell your brain that it's got enough fat. Now that you've lost a lot of fat your brain isn't getting as much leptin as before. You still have a lot of fat sending the signals to your brain but you're leptin resistant so the reduced message from your reduced fat cells is like a signal to your brain that you're starving and have run out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    In my experience, 'cravings' are in my head. Without realizing it, I'm dwelling on how 'nice' it would be to have x, y, or z, and before I know it, I'm hungry for that food and nothing else will satisfy me.

I deal with this by trying to stop thinking about the food as soon as I realize what's happening. I need to distract my mind--exercise, house cleaning, a brisk walk--any physical activity that pushes me out of 'craving' mode usually works.

If I don't stop the process soon enough and am really stuck craving something, what works for me is to say to myself, "That sounds good. I'll have it tomorrow." Seriously, I've found that once I do that, I stop thinking about the food, and the next day, I no longer need to have it at all.
    +1

I agree that aside from any physiological processes that might lead to cravings, there are certainly psychological ones going on also. If a person has had bad eating habits for seven years (for eg.), it might take them longer to stop wanting foods that aren't conducive to good health. Habits take awhile to make and break.