Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beachbody Supplements page

brichter45 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you think some of the beachbody supplements are okay while eating primal. I know i'm using Shakeology right now and love it. I also use the Workout recovery drink after my P90X workouts. Should I opt out of these supplements?

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Funny you mention Shakeology and primal eating. I started using this stuff this week (bought it before fully going primal) and I've got to say it's given me some AWFUL bloating effects and migraines after a couple days. I gave it a try, and eh, just not my thing I guess.

I certainly like the taste, but it is rather sugary. Much more sugary than my prior post-workout beverage of whey isolate + water + coconut milk. I'm going to go back to my old standby, IF, or Fage total and berries...with a simple multi and fish oil capsule. Much more budget friendly and doesn't cause bloating and migraines.

SullynNH Guest

Recovery drink would not be, way too much sugar which would induce a huge insulin response (Mark can talk on this) as that is what it was designed to do....

Shakeology could be as it has lots of good things in it IMO...I should say I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, my wife uses shakeology and has not had any of those symptoms you mentioned

MRD- i've also heard of people having some bloating effects. But after a week they went away. Some people just react differently to it i guess. I haven't heard of people having migraines though.

The point of the recovery drink is to boost your glycogen levels to transport them into your worked muscles after working out. I only use it when i've really pumped my body. Like Plyo. But if I should get rid of it i will. I just love that Orange goodness after a workout haha.

Krist Guest

I'm curious about the recovery drink alternatives that would be "Primally acceptable". We currently use the Beachbody recovery formula, but are aware that it's too much sugar to be Primal (not to mention other ingredients in there that make it a bit too manufactured).

What do people suggest as a good alternative to this? I don't want a cheap and dirty solution, I want something that will adequately replace the recovery forumula and do most of the things that forumla does. Is this possible?

I'm sure there are other solutions. But the point is to get the nutrients to the body as quickly as possible after a hard workout. Thats where the sugars come in. There are also a lot of other ingredients in the recovery formula that might make it difficult to replicate without drinking like 8 different things. There is also l-arginine and l-glutamine that can be taken in drink form.

Didn't Mark help create the Recovery formula?

INGREDIENTS: Fructose, whey protein concentrate, dextrose, maltodextrin, natural and artifi cial fl avors, citric acid, carageenan gum, d-alpha

tocopheryl acetate, l-arginine, ascorbic acid, creatine monohydrate, l-glutamine, lecithin, magnesium oxide, sodium chloride, potassium

phosphate, beta carotene, niacinamide, pyridoxine HCL, ribofl avin, thiamine mononitrate, and cyanocoba

SullynNH Guest

Yes he did and talked about how it was for the "carb" based crowd...

I don't think you will find anything. You have to look at the premise of what a Recovery Drink is supposed to do:

1) Cause an intentional insulin spike 2) that results in the absorption of protein's/amino acids into the muscle cells to allow for an anabolic process to take place.

The only way to effectively get that spike is to ingest something with a high GI, which is not Primal, nor in theory would it be required. If you have done some kind of "heavy lifting" this will stimulate the natural production of human growth hormone hGH (as well as a myriad of other processes) resulting in the desired muscle/lean mass building to take place.

Thanks for the insight Sully! Just starting primal and try it into my current p90x program!!

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I can pretty accurately pinpoint migraine triggers. My diet held constant with this added (and no migraines since going primal), I'd be fairly certain that this was a contributor.

I am disappointed, as I thought it may be a good all-in-one solution as it does have good things, but with its side effects to me, it's not worth the hassle at this point. Suffice to say, customer service got an email to send an RMA for the remainder of the Shakeology. As a coach I guess I'm SOL when it comes to personal testimony! Ha!

For additional glycogen, I'll sometimes grind up some frozen fruit to chuck in my protein drink.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

MRD i also put some fruit in my protein shakes after working out if i'm not using my recovery drink. Makes me feel like the protein is shuttling faster haha. That sucks about the side effects of shakeology! I'm also a coach. I'm glad to see there are other Beachbody members trying the Primal lifestyle!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast