Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Grok have pets? page

Primal is offline Senior Member

Did Grok have pets?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess in Grok's era, the line between pet and food was blurred, but at what point in civilization did Grok (if at all), have a "pet?" Were food resources so scarce that anything that ate something that Grok could have eaten not long for the world?

The reason I ask is because I find the studies about pets and blood pressure interesting. Relaxing with a pet seems very primal, but then again, I have enough other food options.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    There are many stories about man and wolves. Some say we domesticated the wolf. Others contend that it was they who domesticated us. Of course there's the story of Romulus and Remus, the builders of Rome, suckled by a she-wolf. I think of all animals, it would be wolves/wild dogs that we'd most likely befriend, or at least form a mutually beneficial partnership.

evanator is offline Junior Member
    Either way, I totally love my dogs, and am certain that they aren't bad for my health. I'm willing to bet that either Grok did or would have had a pet.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    It is pretty widely accepted that dogs were domesticated from wolves independently in different parts of the world. I don't think that primal humans would not have a "pet" that was not useful. Eg. bunnies are probably tastier than they are cute.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member
    I watched a documentary a while back about modern day hunter-gatherers and they very surely had pets of many different types. Birds, monkeys, lizards, whatever was in their environment. Sometimes the same animal was a pet that was also food. I don't find it that unusual. There are some people that keep a chicken as a pet, or those pot bellied pigs that were popular a few years ago. I wouldn't eat a pet, ever, no matter if it were lamb. Anyway, I think it's fair to say that Grok had a pet of some kind simply because modern HG keep pets and presumably they are still living in their palaeolithic ways.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I know it's kind of gay for a man to have a cat but mine's close to the size of a cougar if that's any consolation. Here's a pic of my amazingly large cat dwarfing my 190 pound roommate.

I'd love to get a dog one day but not until I have a larger apartment or house with a yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I believe the archeological evidence indicates that dogs were domesticated about 12,000-15,000 years ago, though the genetic split between dogs and wolves could have happened as long as 100,000 years ago and independent of man. They aren't really sure. I think for a long time it was a very symbiotic relationship, rather than one of "pet/owner" as we think of it. I doubt Grok would have been putting bows and sweaters on his dogs. LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Jokaman there's nothing sweeter than a man with a cat! When I first found out how much my SO loved his cat my heart melted. He's now my husband!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Jokaman there's nothing sweeter than a man with a cat! When I first found out how much my SO loved his cat my heart melted. He's now my husband!
    Damn, every girl I meet is allergic to cats!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    If you consider that Grok was probably trying to eat the organs and marrow as much as possible, there was probably a lot of muscle meat and bone around. I can see that slowly developing into a mutually beneficial relationship as man and canine did more and more for each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast