Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hungry and scared... page 8

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but you do know the point of the whole "Primal" thing is not to go low carb, it's to avoid the bad stuff in things like grains, especially wheat, right?

You can have mass quantities of carbs and still be Primal, but if you're eating wheat, you're probably not.
    What she said.

Also, adding bullet-proof coffee to a diet that, most days, includes any of the items you've listed, will increase fat storage. Your insulin is being spiked, every time you eat grain/starch (and all of those you listed are grain/starch), and that makes you store fat. You are not burning fat. You will continue to have cravings until your switch from sugar burning to fat burning.

You are not giving it a good try. You say you are 16 (or so) days into a 30 day trial of it - no, you haven't even begun a real serious trial of Primal eating.

Bob-Tao is offline Member
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but you do know the point of the whole "Primal" thing is not to go low carb, it's to avoid the bad stuff in things like grains, especially wheat, right?

You can have mass quantities of carbs and still be Primal, but if you're eating wheat, you're probably not.

Thanks Gopintos,

You are right. I have plateaued at 208 for the last week or so. But I have lost about 1-1/2 inches on my waist. I am trying to bring the carb count down a little to spark at least a pound a week in weight loss. Like Mark said in one of his youtube videos, I'm trying to get the most return with the least amount of effort and fuss. I'm not really concerned with the whole primal theory, idea, etc. I'm looking for what works and so far this seems to have a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Keep in mind, weight loss & maintenance are two different goals.
    YMMV but:
    50-100 grams/day Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss
    100-150 grams/day Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, Is it possible that you are metabolically broken? I do think that you are under eating. I'm 5'2 and 122 Lbs and I eat about 1500 + calories and this is on a fat loss. If I were on maintenance I would eat roughly 1900 kcal factoring the amount of exercise I do. Honestly, right now you should focus on trying to stick to paleo if that is what you want. Get rid of the old habits first then worry about counting calories later. I get that eating primal is great for your health. You have to look at what your diet was like before that because I think it can be difficult to switch to a lifestyle that limits grains dairy etc. As you mentioned you are trying to eat more veggies, why not slowly eat more of that. Try different veggies every week. You have to really want to eat primal and be able to live this way of eating for the rest of your life. Ask yourself, can you do this?

People go all out when the switch to a new way of eating and not considering that they had such a crappy diet before (not saying this is you). Then they say, I had this and I had that then they completely screw up on the diet. I ate clean whole foods before very similar to paleo except I ate grains so for me it wasn't a huge jump. I have had no problems with a primal way of eating since then. On occasion, I'll have some exposure to non primal food but I don't beat myself up over it because I know that I eat far healthier than an average joe.
    Last edited by cayla29s; 08-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.

RaeVynn,

I think I'm making a pretty good effort. Whether or not it's "primal" reminds me of people who worry about whether or not it's "kosher". I honestly don't care. I've gotten down to "goal weight" several times in the last 40 years and gained it all back, and I'm no longer willing to be on any plan I don't believe I can sustain for the long run. Losing and gaining it back is not worth it to me. Either is having constant cravings or stuffing myself with certain foods just to quiet the cravings. The primal theory has some benefits that I believe can work for me, and are. I'd rather they work slowly forever, than quickly for a short time, just to be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    What she said.

Also, adding bullet-proof coffee to a diet that, most days, includes any of the items you've listed, will increase fat storage. Your insulin is being spiked, every time you eat grain/starch (and all of those you listed are grain/starch), and that makes you store fat. You are not burning fat. You will continue to have cravings until your switch from sugar burning to fat burning.

You are not giving it a good try. You say you are 16 (or so) days into a 30 day trial of it - no, you haven't even begun a real serious trial of Primal eating.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal isn't an Atkins diet. It sounds like you are doing more of an Atkins approach. Yes, there is the carb curve, but avoiding grains, sugar and crappy vegetable oils is equally as major a part of the diet, actually it's a bigger part of the diet. You should watch Mark's interview with Dr. Eenfeldt.
    Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube

You might also enjoy David Attias' interview as well.
    Very Low Carb Performance - YouTube

And you might actually like Dr. Eenfeldt's website.
    Diet Doctor - Real food for your health
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Thanks, I'll check them out. I actually have given up most grains, just not 100%. Haven't eaten any bread, cereal, rice, beans, hummus, salad oil, cookies, pasta or corn in a week or so. These were all staples previously. About the only grain I am still eating is the skin on a baked potato knish. Since a whole knish is 27 g. of carbs, the skin can't be more than 7 or 8 g. of carb. And unless I believed grains were poison (and I don't) I don't believe an amount that small can make any significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Primal isn't an Atkins diet. It sounds like you are doing more of an Atkins approach. Yes, there is the carb curve, but avoiding grains, sugar and crappy vegetable oils is equally as major a part of the diet, actually it's a bigger part of the diet. You should watch Mark's interview with Dr. Eenfeldt.
    Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube

You might also enjoy David Attias' interview as well.
    Very Low Carb Performance - YouTube

And you might actually like Dr. Eenfeldt's website.
    Diet Doctor - Real food for your health

Not interested in VLC at all. If it works for you, go for it. Mark's approach resonates with me. He stresses the dose context of what works for you. Nowhere does he say "all or nothing". He stresses making life enjoyable and if you want to add small amounts of sugar, chocolate, wine, dairy, etc. go for it. Also he says in the Low Carb Paleo video on youtube that he is presently on 100 g. of carbs a day, starts his day with a big cup of coffee, ends the day with a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine.
    Last edited by Bob-Tao; 08-25-2012 at 05:00 PM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    Maybe so. In two weeks of "no grains/legumes" I had Chinese one afternoon which included 2 spring rolls and some steamed wontons, chicken and spare ribs. Had three chicken pot pies with crust and probably one of those small dixie cups of ice cream with a little syrup on it most nights. Had about 4 potato knish's with the coating. Had fruit twice a day. Had honey 3 or 4 times. Had no rice, beans, cereal, bread, cookies, hummus or corn. Maybe it's not primal enough. Maybe it's no better or healthier than a full SAD diet. I guess time will tell.
    the basic of eating this way is avoiding sugar, crap seed oils and grains. you have sugar most days with the ice cream and that american-chinese food is the unholy trinity of crap to avoid.

unlike some other plans, it's not just about the carb count, it's moreso the quality of carbs that matters here. crap wontons fried in old craptastic rancid oil, even if "only" 50 carbs, or whathaveyou, is a whole other can o'beans than a plate of fruit or a bushel of sweet potatoes.

perhaps the way you're eating now is a vast improvement over a few weeks ago? if so, that's great. as time goes on, you may discover you no longer want to eat some of the stuff you "cheat" with now.

the longer you eat clean, the more your palate becomes sensitized to the lovely flavors of real food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Starting to get a taste for sweet potatoes. My wife roasted quartered sweet potatoes in the oven with some salt, pepper, garlic and water for about an hour. Then she threw out the water and browned them in the oven with a little olive oil. Oh my God. They were the sweetest most delicious things I ever had. Ate almost a pound of them. Well worth the 80 g. of carbs.
    Tonight I had one microwaved in the skin with some butter and sour cream. Almost as good.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    the basic of eating this way is avoiding sugar, crap seed oils and grains. you have sugar most days with the ice cream and that american-chinese food is the unholy trinity of crap to avoid.

unlike some other plans, it's not just about the carb count, it's moreso the quality of carbs that matters here. crap wontons fried in old craptastic rancid oil, even if "only" 50 carbs, or whathaveyou, is a whole other can o'beans than a plate of fruit or a bushel of sweet potatoes.

perhaps the way you're eating now is a vast improvement over a few weeks ago? if so, that's great. as time goes on, you may discover you no longer want to eat some of the stuff you "cheat" with now.

the longer you eat clean, the more your palate becomes sensitized to the lovely flavors of real food.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678