Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungry and scared... page 3

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome!

What are you scare of? Being hungry? Don't be!

We've been conditioned to think of hunger as negative, as a sign of deprivation, as a weakness. It's none of those things. It is simply your body's way of telling you it's time to refuel. YOUR job is to give it the best fuel that your resources and budget allow. Real hunger and SAD hunger are not the same thing. Once your body realizes you are giving it real food your hunger feelings will change and so will your perceptions.

It might feel like you are eating more than usual for a couple of reasons. 1) you are eating consciously and paying attention to every bite. When we eat unconsciously we 'forget' what we ate and wonder how we got fat. 2) if you're eating cleaner than before you are enjoying less calorie dense (but more nutrient rich) foods so you CAN and should eat more.

Focus on the quality of your food and get used to eating this way before you worry about weight loss. Perhaps just eating for optimal health will result in natural fat loss with little stress or effort.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Tomorrow I am gonna try the bullet proof coffee to see if that gets me ...
    There's that damn drink again...

Those are empty calories, and a LOT of them. Instead of that, why not make your omelette a four-egger instead of a two-egger? It'll be less calories and way more "primal".

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Tomorrow I am gonna try the bullet proof coffee to see if that gets me
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    There's that damn drink again...

Those are empty calories, and a LOT of them. Instead of that, why not make your omelette a four-egger instead of a two-egger? It'll be less calories and way more "primal".
    Wow, I sure missed that bit. I so agree with you DeeDub. Obsessed, perhaps it's a great drink (without the amount of fats that he calls for) to someone who responds well to coffee and needs a fat/caffeine bomb in the morning but really, for now perhaps you should concentrate on nutrition dense foods and plenty of them and nourish yourself. Once you've been doing that for a while, seen some benefits and gained some health, you can start experimenting and if it's to be BP coffee, so be it. If it works for you or doesn't how will you know so early on while you're still figuring the basics out and don't have even an initial baseline?

The preponderance of people who do OK drinking a thousand calories in fat in the AM tend to be young, athletic men. Sure not all are, but this might be an experiment better left for later on.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I drink organic coffee, 16 oz every morning, no more, no less, with 1 TBS heavy cream, 50 calories, 5 gms fat.
    It gets me going, I absolutely love the taste, but on some emergency morning when I've gone without, I haven't killed anyone yet.

I forgot to mention olives, oh how I love em.. I just had sardines (vitalchoice.com), olives, cottage cheese & org strawberries, totally satisfied. Also, very filling, walnut butter on org apple slices, I'm about to get my DH off peanut butter with walnut butter.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    KerryK,

I have lost a cumulative 15" in about six weeks doing T-Tapp. Measurements are taken from arms to calves and naturally bust, waist, hips etc. I have not lost a great deal of weight so clearly I am shrinking due to muscle taking up less room than fat! There are some sample exercises on her website and also you can find some samples on YouTube. Start with that a d see how you like it. It really works!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    The preponderance of people who do OK drinking a thousand calories in fat in the AM tend to be young, athletic men. Sure not all are, but this might be an experiment better left for later on.
    Just my own experience, ( I am not young or athletic or male) I did BP coffee to help me adjust to fasting. One cup with 1TBL coconut oil and 1TBL butter, 200 some odd calories. Carried me onto lunch around 1. On the days I BP coffee, I end up with way fewer calories, almost too few and I have to make sure I eat enough. My n=1 is that if I eat breakfast, even protein and fat, I eat more over the course of the day and really push my calories to the max.

So for me, it helped. It did it's job which was to help with fasting. I know it's not a no calorie fast, but I believe it still helped me to enjoy some of the same benefits of fasting. Now a days, I just do coffee w/cream. Some days I dont even do that.

But it was never more than one cup. And it was never used to wash down other food. I dont usually eat too many breakfasts for 200 calories. I did have breakfast this morning - I should have stuck to the coffee. I had 553 calories of food instead and now after lunch, I am over 1000 calories and supper still left to go. uggh.

But first, way before BP coffee for breakfast, I got a grip on carbs which got a grip on hunger. I was already losing weight, and found myself starting to stall. I was also naturally falling into the fasting when I wasnt waking up wanting to eat my arm off. The BP coffee and fasting helped me to put off eating until lunch time instead of putting off breakfast until mid-morning. I do believe it has it's place if you use it appropriately. I track all calories and macros and I needed to cut the carbs and add fat, while keeping calories in check and that did the trick. For me. Might not be for everyone.
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I do bulletproof coffee as my breakfast two days a week. 16 oz of coffee, 3 tablespoons KerryGold butter, 1 tablespoon MCT oil. That's around 450-500 calories and I'm not hungry for 5-6 hours at least.

Butter from grass fed cows is not empty calories. If you have read any of Weston Price's work you know it is loaded with vitamin K2 among other nutrients and is actually very healthy.
    Last edited by Miss Understood; 08-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Like gopintos and Miss Understood, I don't think the BP coffee is hideously terrible. I usually just use butter instead of cream and use about a tablespoon just because cream goes bad before I can use it up. But one day I tried the 400 calorie version. No breakfast with it. I didn't eat lunch until around 2pm and probably could have gone longer until 3 or 4pm. I am a big breakfast eater so I saved a lot of calories. But I prefer to eat a real breakfast anyway. I think it's probably healthier. The BP coffee is something I do when I probably ate too much yesterday and don't feel all that terribly hungry for breakfast but know I'm probably going to be starving around 10AM. Then I'm able to turn a negative (yesterday's too much) into a net positive (today's hardly anything.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest tracking calories and nutrients. Personally, I like cron-o-meter (freeware on my laptop, minor charge for the smartphone app). With tracking, I have figured out that I operate best at 65-105g of protein and no more than 40g carb per day. For reference, I'm female, 5'1" or 155cm, and 60 years old. Your mileage WILL vary. What's more, it will evolve, so track at least periodically to check.

And keep checking in - this community is happy to help.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I drink organic coffee, 16 oz every morning, no more, no less, with 1 TBS heavy cream, 50 calories, 5 gms fat.
    It gets me going, I absolutely love the taste, but on some emergency morning when I've gone without, I haven't killed anyone yet.

I forgot to mention olives, oh how I love em.. I just had sardines (vitalchoice.com), olives, cottage cheese & org strawberries, totally satisfied. Also, very filling, walnut butter on org apple slices, I'm about to get my DH off peanut butter with walnut butter.
    Heavy cream in coffee ... Mmmm. But the amount of butter and mct oil in BP coffee scares me especially for someone wanting to lose weight (oppressed & me). I did just check the website I see he only recommends 2 tbs butter and 30g of mct oil. Not as bad as I remembered.

Love olives. WISH I loved sardines.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast