Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungry and scared... page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    That 2 egg omelet could use a couple/few more eggs. Eggs have a terrific protein/fat ratio all on their, are VERY satiating, GREAT nutritional profile, AND fairly low in calories. I would recommend a six egg omelet to anyone struggling with hunger and trying to lose weight.

Another suggestion is to add maybe 2 cups of salad greens to your lunch or dinner for a bit of volume.

Make sure each meal has a sufficient protein/fat portion then fill in the rest with some veggies in more fat. That is the recipe.

Oh, and a good protein to fat ratio is about 65%f/35%p BY CALORIE. So anything leaner than 80/20 beef means you should be adding fat.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's going to take some time to adjust, so don't be too worried. You're making some major changes, and your body won't always be happy about them right away. Give it some time. Yes, that much cream in one sitting is a bit over the top, but cut yourself some slack and just figured it was a lesson learned.

Your diet actually looks pretty good. For myself, I have found some of the hangups to be in the details. So, for example, I would have an amazing, nutritious dinner, then put a little barbecue sauce on the side. Yeah, that sauce had soy, HFCS and gluten. Crap. Make sure you're reading labels, and try to avoid food with labels in the first place.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I started primal in February at 194lbs and I'm 5'4". It took me a month or so to figure out that I needed to eat MORE food at meals so I wasn't hungry all the time. It looks like a lot of food on my plate and I end up quite full, but I've lost 15.5lbs in under 7 months. I have found that if I feel hungry a lot, I stop losing weight and at times even gain. It sounds so weird, but my body needs a certain amount in order to lose. If you're hungry for the first few weeks, have a snack of some nuts or cheese - something high in fat. Your body is screaming for all the nutrients it was missing/couldn't absorb before. It will settle down after a while and the hunger will decrease.

You don't mention how old you are, but if you're still mentruating, that could have a big impact as well. I have 2-3 hungry days each month and I actually indulge them. I've found that if I do so, I still lose 0.5-1lb that week.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Salads and veggies. Lots of them. My plate is usually half salad. Sometimes it's all salad, with like grilled steak or chicken strips on top.

I don't do much cheese. I only do a little cream in my coffee, little in one or two cups most mornings.

I know it is suggested not to track, but I have to track it all. I was so focused at first on the Fat macros, until I learned Fat is my friend. So then I focused more on getting the carbs under control. I was 300grams per day of JUST sweet tea!! I cut it cold turkey.

As already mentioned, work on your sleep. I take magnesium to help me out. Sleep is so important. If I don't sleep, I don't lose weight. I also have sleep apnea and I am hoping that some day, I will not have to wear my mask any longer. Although when I put on my mask, it seems to help me mentally in that it says to me, it is time to go to sleep now. That works so long as I have taken my vitamins and supplements. I dont eat just a whole lot of carbs - at least not at one time, but when I do have something with a few more carbs, I get sleepy. So I am trying to work on having those with dinner. I am usually in bed now by 9.

I have also noticed that if I dont take my vitamins and supplements, I don't lose.

I was hungry 24/7 when I started "dieting" CW way. 6 or whatever meals per day, every couple of hours - always thinking about food. From the time I got up until the time I went to bed. I went to bed hungry, I woke up hungry. When I went primal and got a grip on my carbs, everything changed. I was still losing weight CW way, and still having close to 200g of carbs, but I was just hungry all the time because I ran out of calories. But I was good at keeping those Fat macros low So when I got a grip on carbs, I was having TOO LOW of calories, but I was full. Then I discovered coconut oil and real butter. Things balance now and calories are kept in check.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    What neckhammer said.. Eggs will become your best friend. Keep them hard boiled in fridge, I put 2 in a Baggie, sprinkle with sea salt, org black pepper, small amt avocado oil, roll them around in bag, eat or carry with you at all times, very filling.

Buy organic celery, spread a small amt cream cheese or natural peanut butter, this really helps with craving crunchy.

Put about 10 or 12 macadamia nuts in a tiny ziploc, wonderful to eat while driving. They kept me from stopping for junk food.

A big salad really helps making you feel full. Try different org greens. Make your own mayo, experiment, get great at it.

Always keep filtered water with you. I buy six packs (or case when I can splurge) of Figi water, drink it, then refill bottles with filtered water from fridge. Never leave the house without one.

This site will help you immensely. I so loved reading the great advice of these people who've been doing this for yrs. Pick a few folks who seem like they know what they're writing about and stalk 'em like crazy. You'll learn a lot.

And, by all means, be very proud of yourself for taking this step. We're proud of you.. And get a pedometer and aim for 10,O00 steps a day. Work up to it, don't be defeated. If you stay organized and don't run out of healthy foods, you will lose the weight. You can do it.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps it would help to drink more water. Try having a large glass of water 20 minutes before your meals. Eat plenty of non starchy vegetables like romaine lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc. I make salad dressing and dips out of Fage Total Greek yoghurt. Add some Dijon mustard, or garlic powder or other seasonings and create your own dips. Olive oil and various type vinegars are also good dressings. Add a few slivered almonds to your salads.

I have started an excellent exercise program that I cannot recommend highly enough. You will convert fat to muscle and improve your hormonal balance and metabolism. It is based on physical therapy moves that rehab your knees, shoulders, hips and strengthen your spine. No jumping around, no equipment, no going to the gym. 15-20 minutes per day. You will drop inches with this program and do not need to be athletic. The website has a forum of users, mostly women, who are very knowledgeable and supportive. The website is Welcome to T-Tapp . . . "The Wellness Workout That Works!".

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Great advice here, I always hesitate to just repeat what everyone says, but I can't stop thinking of your post. I started in March at 243. I strayed off the path badly twice (once for a looong time, more recently for a week). I'm now 191 and many of my health problems are greatly improved. I still have a long way to go health-wise and weight-wise, but for the first time in decades I know it's a question of 'when' not 'if'.

First, even if you think you were eating OK before, chances are your body is mildly or seriously deficient in certain nutrients. Most people are if they've been eating a SAD (Standard American Diet) or are obese. Eating junk for however long you've been doing it didn't give your body the right or enough nutrients. Your hunger signals could be due to many reasons, but a major one is that it is starving for nutrients. So I REALLY recommend, for the next few weeks (a month if you can stand it) eating as much as you want whenever you want with a specific goal - to nourish yourself. Once your body is getting regular nutrition and getting REAL food, then those gnawing, mind-controlling, anxiety-ridden urges to eat should subside at least somewhat. You may need months to get to the point where you naturally eat what you need, but it will get easier. And although some people on this forum do not consider supplements necessary, I would look into a good, solid, multi vitamin (without the bad fillers & ingredients), or at least look into the importance of supplementing with magnesium, selenium, vitamin D, K2, and look into Fermented Cod's Liver Oil/High Vitamin Butter Oil. Of course, it's best if you can get some basic blood work and see what you are deficient in... It'll be gold to you 6 months to a year from now as a comparison on how you're doing. Remember, some people just supplement initially to resolve deficiencies and then cut back or stop. But initially, it sure would be a good idea. Read Mark's blog, then search the forums, then perhaps try to research elsewhere like Chris Kresser's website, the Paleo for Women site, the Underground Wellness podcasts/site.

Your goal here is to eat the cleanest, healthiest, most nutritionally dense foods for your body. You do what you can within your budget, of course. You can't do everything at once of course, but have smaller goals and work towards them eventually getting to the awesomest WOE (way of eating) for YOU. I'm still not quite there. You're doing kind of OK in your example, but look at your meals & figure out what seems to have the least nutrition and heaviest calorie load. For example, that's a lot of cream you had for a lot of calories. If it was raw cream, which is nutrient-dense, I'd say hey, for the first few weeks while you load up on nutrition, go for as much as you want. But if it's conventional, pasteurized cream, maybe have less of it and add nutritionally dense things to that smoothie, or drink it with a side of canned sardines or kippers. I could keep on writing but this post would be even bigger, so just read what everyone else says.

Basically each food has a spectrum on what's optimal down to what's worse. For example, if you tolerate dairy (you might not know that at this point, surprisingly) the most optimal is raw, full fat, 100% grass fed local dairy... At the worst is non-organic, conventionally & commercially raised, ultra pasteurized dairy. It's a scale. Most foods can have a scale like this and I do the best I can getting as close to the most optimal choice that I can.

Read up on these sort of things on Mark's blog and, if you're able, get his Primal Blueprint book.

There's so much to say and I'm tapping with one finger on my phone, so I'll stop and quickly say that for the hunger, once you've upped your veggies & protein (canned fish, ground beef, eggs, etc), look into making bone broth, fermented foods, liver, and you find you're still desperate to eat, I have emergency seltzer bottles for times I'm climbing the walls. Sipping them fills me up and I once went for two weeks drinking a big bottle every night (that's my hardest time... after 8pm). It sure helped!

Good luck and read Mark's blog, his book, and listen to podcasts/explore other sites. Remember that we're all different so although you can get some fabulous advice on this forum, sometimes the advice you get is not necessarily good for YOU. You need to start getting attuned with yourself, keep a journal of sleep, stressors, exercise, supplements and food... and once you've been nourishing yourself for a while and have some sort of a baseline, you can start tinkering and adding this, or adding that, and you can keep tabs on if something is working or you or not.

*whew* hope this helps and you actually READ it all... I'm not sure I will re-read it to catch spelling errors, so sorry in advance...

Good luck! You can do it! One day at a time to ultimate HEALTH!

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Perhaps it would help to drink more water. Try having a large glass of water 20 minutes before your meals. Eat plenty of non starchy vegetables like romaine lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc. I make salad dressing and dips out of Fage Total Greek yoghurt. Add some Dijon mustard, or garlic powder or other seasonings and create your own dips. Olive oil and various type vinegars are also good dressings. Add a few slivered almonds to your salads.

I have started an excellent exercise program that I cannot recommend highly enough. You will convert fat to muscle and improve your hormonal balance and metabolism. It is based on physical therapy moves that rehab your knees, shoulders, hips and strengthen your spine. No jumping around, no equipment, no going to the gym. 15-20 minutes per day. You will drop inches with this program and do not need to be athletic. The website has a forum of users, mostly women, who are very knowledgeable and supportive. The website is Welcome to T-Tapp . . . "The Wellness Workout That Works!".
    I've been reading about this... I wish my library had the CDs & stuff. What sort of success have you experienced doing this?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Great advice here! Congrats on starting your journey to great health! I am so thankful everyday for having found The Primal Blueprint.

Make sure you have a protein and fat at every meal... keep it basic and then add veggies! Fat is your friend!! Don't worry or stress about calories or how much you're eating in the beginning. Keep sugar out or your body will cry and beg for more. The fruit cocktail you had can trigger your body to have cravings for more sugar and make you feel hungry in the beginning while you are converting from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. Relax... you are on your way!!

Sooze is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    KerryK, I wish there was a "like" button for your post Good info for a newbie girl!

"Obsessed"... you need more m-e-a-t! cream cheese and 2 oz salmon? That would leave me starving. Cream cheese- never satisfying to me, I just crave more of it!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast