Thread: Parents - preschooler bathroom issues? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Parents - preschooler bathroom issues?

Shop Now
    My 4yo DD has been struggling with bathroom issues for a while now. She'll have days where there are no problems, completely dry. Other days when she goes through 3-4 pairs of underwear and pants. And she can not stay dry when sleeping - naps or at night. I've started to do some research into this and the idea of constipation keeps popping up. I'm hoping I could easily introduce some foods into her daily diet to take care of the problem, if it is one. She's not really old enough to discuss the matter, I tried. So, what can I get her to eat? She's generally agreeable and already eats fruit and vegetables each day. She only drinks water and whole milk, mostly water though. Suggestions on certain foods?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If it's constipation, I'd suggest slowly increasing fats. Avocado, coconut milk, butter balls....things like that.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Neither of my girls were dry through the night at 4 (or even 5). Currently I get my 5 girl out of bed at 10pm and sit her on the toilet. If I forget she invariably wets the bed.

One thing that helped us was getting a waterproof 'sheet' to sit on top of their sheets, so if they wet the bed you just whip that off (replace it with a dry one). It also helps them to be more aware of their bodies and that they have wet than if they are sleeping in night nappies (which can inhibit them learning their bodies responses by keeping them feeling dry).

Kids are ready when they are ready.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Neither of my girls were dry through the night at 4 (or even 5). Currently I get my 5 girl out of bed at 10pm and sit her on the toilet. If I forget she invariably wets the bed.

One thing that helped us was getting a waterproof 'sheet' to sit on top of their sheets, so if they wet the bed you just whip that off (replace it with a dry one). It also helps them to be more aware of their bodies and that they have wet than if they are sleeping in night nappies (which can inhibit them learning their bodies responses by keeping them feeling dry).

Kids are ready when they are ready.
    She's not ready to sleep in underwear. There are morning when she wets her bed, despite wearing a diaper. I am more concerned that she has days where she wets her underwear and pants 3-4x, sometimes even when we set a timer every 30 minutes for her to go!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    My five year old still has an "accident" at nights on more and more rare occasions. If I recall, my mother said she was a bed wetter past the age of 7! I do see your concern with the day time wetting though. Kids develop at such a varying rate that it is really hard to say. Very well could be those muscles have not yet developed sufficiently. On the other hand the suggestions of just feeding her healthy fats and foods CAN'T be bad. As far as risk/reward goes you risk nothing and the reward is better health regardless if the wetting stops. Best of luck!

Going to try for more fats. Cooked scrambled eggs in butter this morning and added olive oil. But she didn't eat much of them. Chose apples and oranges instead. She won't eat avocado unless I put it into a taco dip/mixed in with something else. I'm considering doing smoothies for a few days with her as a "treat" and putting avocado in there. Think that would help? What else would I want to put in it?

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I second the waterproof sheet or mattress cover. I had one of my three that was hard to potty train and had accidents in school until third grade. She also bedwet until she was nine. A couple things aside from the usual, one bubblebaths(and unrinsed soap) can irritate things and make control hard, and two my now adult daughter(the former bedwetter) has a sensitivity to caffiene and it irritates her bladder. The urologist also said she just gets short notice when she has to go. For constipation, our go to was a helping of applesauce and enough fluids. Raisins also work.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    None of my daughters were reliably dry at night until they were 8, and had fairly regular daytime accidents until they were 7 or so. With my youngest, the day-time accidents stopped when she was diagnosed as coeliac and cut wheat, oats, barley and rye from her diet. But the night-time problems remained until they changed school at the age of 8, which makes me feel it might have been stress related. Is there anything that could be stressing your daughter.

I'd "third" the waterproof sheet and mattress cover - they were absolutely invaluable!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused. Are we talking about pee or poo?

Pee- have you ruled out medical reasons for the erratic daytime pants wetting?

I found it beneficial to teach toileting 'habits' ...for example we go to the bathroom and wash hands before every meal and snack, upon waking, before bed/nap, and before leaving the house. Whether you 'have' to go or not. I never asked my kids if they had to pee because a preschooler either doesn't fully understand the urge, or doesn't identify it until its too late, or suppresses it on purpose because they don't want to step away from their fun. Some toddlers will say 'no' just for fun, while doing the potty dance in front of you.

Being pants less at all times helped my toilet-resistant 3.5yo. It was a long week where we never left the house but it worked.

As for night wetting, it's a separate physiological urge and is very normal.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes