Thread: Grams of PUFAs ? page

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member

Grams of PUFAs ?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello.
    I searched the forum but didn't find a definitive answer.
    I was wondering, as I understand, the whole O6:O3 ratio is overestimated and we are better eating less PUFAs overall. So, how much grams should I aim to get on a daily basis ? Or is it more about a percentage of the diet ?
    Today I ate 3500 kcal, however, I had 18 g of Omega 6 and 15 g of Omega 3... It seems too much isn't it ?
    Thank you very much
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Hello.
    I searched the forum but didn't find a definitive answer.
    I was wondering, as I understand, the whole O6:O3 ratio is overestimated and we are better eating less PUFAs overall. So, how much grams should I aim to get on a daily basis ? Or is it more about a percentage of the diet ?
    Today I ate 3500 kcal, however, I had 18 g of Omega 6 and 15 g of Omega 3... It seems too much isn't it ?
    Thank you very much
    Chris Kresser says to keep O6 less than 2% of calories. 18x9=162Kcal and 162/3500x100=4.6%.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 08-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I think shooting for about 5-8% total pufa should be no problemo as long as your eating them in their natural forms. Either O6 or O3 above about 4% of your calories seem to show signs of toxicity.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-17-2012 at 07:07 PM.