Thread: Wild Prickly Pears and Insecticides page

naiadknight is offline Senior Member

Wild Prickly Pears and Insecticides

I'm wanting to make a prickly pear sauce for the pork tonight, and I know of a few place where I could gather them wild. What worries me is if they've been sprayed by poisons or not. Is the skin thick enough to make this a non issue or do I need to find a known safe source?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Why would anybody spray wild prickly pears with poisons? I don't think anybody ever sprays them with poisons on their own property so why would anyone go out and spray wild prickly pears?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, wild to me meant a cactus growing over onto the sidewalk. The one I found had a spiderweb on it and dandelions beside it, so I figured it was safe. Picked it, scrubbed it, peeled it, and made a sauce
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome