Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about nuts, fruits and weight loss

Hybrid View

Curious about nuts, fruits and weight loss

I have quite a bit of weight to lose. I am making my way through Mark's book but I feel advice from others who have been in my shoes will help tremendously.

I am currently doing Crossfit and Yoga (a little Spinning for play).

Here are my questions:

1) I've been told 1 serving of fruit a day is alright since I'm wanting to burn off fat. Yes or No?
    (I prefer berries over any kind of fruit with breakfast)

2) I get conflicting information about nuts. I'm using coconut butter and olive oil. I love macadamia nuts and almonds. Should I cut them out? I was told it will hinder my chub loss.

3) What about sweet potatoes? I prefer one post Crossfit with dinner - a small serving.

I like to eat 3 meals a day. Snacking makes me nuts and makes me crave more things I shouldn't eat. I don't eat the second I get up. If I need to then I will but I prefer to eat a few hours later.

Typical day
    B: eggs, asparagus, ground turkey sausage, berries, macadamia nuts (I eat until I am full - not stuffed) 9ish
    L: spinach salad, veggies, chicken, olives, balsamic vinegar, olive oil 2ish
    D: steak, chicken, or fish, green veggies, sweet potato. 7ish

I Crossfit at 4:30 or 5:30. I hate to eat before I go because I feel slower and I don't want to use the orange puke bucket.

I appreciate any advice anyone will pass on. I'm the only one I know besides my CF pals that follow a primal life.

Christina

FWIW, I eat as much fruit as I want (3-5 servings a day) and as long as I keep my overall calories reasonable, I can lose weight when I find myself a bit heavier. I pay some attention to the amount of nuts I eat if I'm trying to drop a few pounds - I still have some, but try to limit myself to maybe 300-400 calories' worth per day.

I am also losing weight, and I do not eat much in the way of nuts. Maybe once a week I will grind up some cashews to make a salad dressing, but I weigh them to make sure it's not too many. I pretty much avoid nuts and nut butters. I eat one to two servings of fruit per day, usually berries or stone fruits. I cook with small amounts of coconut oil, sometimes I'll put a very small amount of olive oil on salads, and of course there's all the fat in the meats I eat. For me, the keys to weight loss seem to be limiting nuts to almost none, limiting fruit to a couple of pieces a day, and absolutely not eating any dairy.

It's all personal.

I can eat lots of fruit and still lose weight.
    I don't stomach nuts much any more. They also hinder weight loss for me.
    I found I can still lose weight while consuming kefir daily, but cheese slows me down.

I think it's all about calorie density for me.

Well, I am not an expert, but as of today, I have lost 60 pounds. Been slow going this summer though, so maybe if I cut some of these things out, it would speed up. But none the less, I still eat fruit and nuts, just not alot.

Most days are 1/4 cup of blueberries, in 1/2 cup of yogurt with .5 oz of sliced almonds.

Sometimes on other days, I might also have either a banana or an apple, w/1-2TBL of nut butter.

Sometimes my day is just not complete until I have some nut butter. Maybe I should have it first and call it a day?

I might also add that I am not on a structured work out routine, but getting ready to implement one. I do however stay active most days around my home and yard.

Sweet potatoes, I have maybe once every few weeks to once a month. But once I get on a scheduled routine, I can see having them more often.

I might also add, that I do still track. Everything. Daily. I just need to see it. If I have calories left and I am still hungry, I will see where I am lacking in macros and decide from there.

Just one more thing to add, and that is I fell into IF naturally. I normally eat around 12 or 1, until like 5 or 6. If I am hungry in the morning, I try to push it off until about 11 and that usually works. I am normally not hungry after supper. Bed by 9(ish)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

60 pounds is awesome! That's a 3rd grader right there!

Thanks for the tips. I think I am worried way too much about certain things, like having "x" number servings of fruit or nuts. It's from all that wasted time having a trainer that tells you to do the opposite of everything primal. People are still ragging on me because they say my metabolism is shot because I don't like to eat first thing in the mornings. I can't stand to eat in the AM, I'd rather wait until the afternoon. I feel so much better doing that.

Anyways, thank you and congrats to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Well, I am not an expert, but as of today, I have lost 60 pounds. Been slow going this summer though, so maybe if I cut some of these things out, it would speed up. But none the less, I still eat fruit and nuts, just not alot.

Most days are 1/4 cup of blueberries, in 1/2 cup of yogurt with .5 oz of sliced almonds.

Sometimes on other days, I might also have either a banana or an apple, w/1-2TBL of nut butter.

Sometimes my day is just not complete until I have some nut butter. Maybe I should have it first and call it a day?

I might also add that I am not on a structured work out routine, but getting ready to implement one. I do however stay active most days around my home and yard.

Sweet potatoes, I have maybe once every few weeks to once a month. But once I get on a scheduled routine, I can see having them more often.

I might also add, that I do still track. Everything. Daily. I just need to see it. If I have calories left and I am still hungry, I will see where I am lacking in macros and decide from there.

Just one more thing to add, and that is I fell into IF naturally. I normally eat around 12 or 1, until like 5 or 6. If I am hungry in the morning, I try to push it off until about 11 and that usually works. I am normally not hungry after supper. Bed by 9(ish)

I think you eat just fine.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I've lost over 150 lbs, and not all of it on primal... though primal is what I have felt the best on so far. Now that I have pretty good eating habits firmly in place (no junk food, lots of veggies), if something doesn't seem to be working for me, I try tweaking one or two things and seeing how I feel and if it gives me the results I'm looking for. Then I'll keep the tweaks that work and try some different tweaks. I'm in a pretty good groove at the moment, eating how I described earlier. I also track and weigh everything I eat and log it in cronometer. I like that cronometer shows you how many vitamins and minerals you're getting as well as the macronutrients. Oh, I also weigh myself every single day, which I know a lot of people don't agree with, but it works for me.

And yes, congrats gopintos on your weight loss. That's a big accomplishment! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Oh, I also weigh myself every single day, which I know a lot of people don't agree with, but it works for me.

And yes, congrats gopintos on your weight loss. That's a big accomplishment! :-)
    OH thanks y'all! And congrats to you too PBD!

I weigh myself most daily also. Way much better than the almost 15 years that I avoided it like the plague. At first it was once in awhile, then once a week, then a few days a week. Once I got past the trauma of the ups and downs and to learn more of what that was all about, I enjoyed weighing every day. I too am tweaking and fine tuning, and it is neat to see that when I eat this, this happens. And if I eat that, I will pay for that for about a week until I can get the scale back to where it was.

And I had to learn that the scale is not the only way to measure. It is just a small part of it, and maybe not a very good reliable part of it, but that part of it really helps me to stay focused and to keep at it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it!