Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about nuts, fruits and weight loss page

lastditcheffort is offline Junior Member

Curious about nuts, fruits and weight loss

Primal Fuel
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose. I am making my way through Mark's book but I feel advice from others who have been in my shoes will help tremendously.

I am currently doing Crossfit and Yoga (a little Spinning for play).

Here are my questions:

1) I've been told 1 serving of fruit a day is alright since I'm wanting to burn off fat. Yes or No?
    (I prefer berries over any kind of fruit with breakfast)

2) I get conflicting information about nuts. I'm using coconut butter and olive oil. I love macadamia nuts and almonds. Should I cut them out? I was told it will hinder my chub loss.

3) What about sweet potatoes? I prefer one post Crossfit with dinner - a small serving.

I like to eat 3 meals a day. Snacking makes me nuts and makes me crave more things I shouldn't eat. I don't eat the second I get up. If I need to then I will but I prefer to eat a few hours later.

Typical day
    B: eggs, asparagus, ground turkey sausage, berries, macadamia nuts (I eat until I am full - not stuffed) 9ish
    L: spinach salad, veggies, chicken, olives, balsamic vinegar, olive oil 2ish
    D: steak, chicken, or fish, green veggies, sweet potato. 7ish

I Crossfit at 4:30 or 5:30. I hate to eat before I go because I feel slower and I don't want to use the orange puke bucket.

I appreciate any advice anyone will pass on. I'm the only one I know besides my CF pals that follow a primal life.

Christina

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, I eat as much fruit as I want (3-5 servings a day) and as long as I keep my overall calories reasonable, I can lose weight when I find myself a bit heavier. I pay some attention to the amount of nuts I eat if I'm trying to drop a few pounds - I still have some, but try to limit myself to maybe 300-400 calories' worth per day.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I am also losing weight, and I do not eat much in the way of nuts. Maybe once a week I will grind up some cashews to make a salad dressing, but I weigh them to make sure it's not too many. I pretty much avoid nuts and nut butters. I eat one to two servings of fruit per day, usually berries or stone fruits. I cook with small amounts of coconut oil, sometimes I'll put a very small amount of olive oil on salads, and of course there's all the fat in the meats I eat. For me, the keys to weight loss seem to be limiting nuts to almost none, limiting fruit to a couple of pieces a day, and absolutely not eating any dairy.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's all personal.

I can eat lots of fruit and still lose weight.
    I don't stomach nuts much any more. They also hinder weight loss for me.
    I found I can still lose weight while consuming kefir daily, but cheese slows me down.

I think it's all about calorie density for me.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Well, I am not an expert, but as of today, I have lost 60 pounds. Been slow going this summer though, so maybe if I cut some of these things out, it would speed up. But none the less, I still eat fruit and nuts, just not alot.

Most days are 1/4 cup of blueberries, in 1/2 cup of yogurt with .5 oz of sliced almonds.

Sometimes on other days, I might also have either a banana or an apple, w/1-2TBL of nut butter.

Sometimes my day is just not complete until I have some nut butter. Maybe I should have it first and call it a day?

I might also add that I am not on a structured work out routine, but getting ready to implement one. I do however stay active most days around my home and yard.

Sweet potatoes, I have maybe once every few weeks to once a month. But once I get on a scheduled routine, I can see having them more often.

I might also add, that I do still track. Everything. Daily. I just need to see it. If I have calories left and I am still hungry, I will see where I am lacking in macros and decide from there.

Just one more thing to add, and that is I fell into IF naturally. I normally eat around 12 or 1, until like 5 or 6. If I am hungry in the morning, I try to push it off until about 11 and that usually works. I am normally not hungry after supper. Bed by 9(ish)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

60 pounds is awesome! That's a 3rd grader right there!

Thanks for the tips. I think I am worried way too much about certain things, like having "x" number servings of fruit or nuts. It's from all that wasted time having a trainer that tells you to do the opposite of everything primal. People are still ragging on me because they say my metabolism is shot because I don't like to eat first thing in the mornings. I can't stand to eat in the AM, I'd rather wait until the afternoon. I feel so much better doing that.

Anyways, thank you and congrats to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Well, I am not an expert, but as of today, I have lost 60 pounds. Been slow going this summer though, so maybe if I cut some of these things out, it would speed up. But none the less, I still eat fruit and nuts, just not alot.

Most days are 1/4 cup of blueberries, in 1/2 cup of yogurt with .5 oz of sliced almonds.

Sometimes on other days, I might also have either a banana or an apple, w/1-2TBL of nut butter.

Sometimes my day is just not complete until I have some nut butter. Maybe I should have it first and call it a day?

I might also add that I am not on a structured work out routine, but getting ready to implement one. I do however stay active most days around my home and yard.

Sweet potatoes, I have maybe once every few weeks to once a month. But once I get on a scheduled routine, I can see having them more often.

I might also add, that I do still track. Everything. Daily. I just need to see it. If I have calories left and I am still hungry, I will see where I am lacking in macros and decide from there.

Just one more thing to add, and that is I fell into IF naturally. I normally eat around 12 or 1, until like 5 or 6. If I am hungry in the morning, I try to push it off until about 11 and that usually works. I am normally not hungry after supper. Bed by 9(ish)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think you eat just fine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I've lost over 150 lbs, and not all of it on primal... though primal is what I have felt the best on so far. Now that I have pretty good eating habits firmly in place (no junk food, lots of veggies), if something doesn't seem to be working for me, I try tweaking one or two things and seeing how I feel and if it gives me the results I'm looking for. Then I'll keep the tweaks that work and try some different tweaks. I'm in a pretty good groove at the moment, eating how I described earlier. I also track and weigh everything I eat and log it in cronometer. I like that cronometer shows you how many vitamins and minerals you're getting as well as the macronutrients. Oh, I also weigh myself every single day, which I know a lot of people don't agree with, but it works for me.

And yes, congrats gopintos on your weight loss. That's a big accomplishment! :-)

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Oh, I also weigh myself every single day, which I know a lot of people don't agree with, but it works for me.

And yes, congrats gopintos on your weight loss. That's a big accomplishment! :-)
    OH thanks y'all! And congrats to you too PBD!

I weigh myself most daily also. Way much better than the almost 15 years that I avoided it like the plague. At first it was once in awhile, then once a week, then a few days a week. Once I got past the trauma of the ups and downs and to learn more of what that was all about, I enjoyed weighing every day. I too am tweaking and fine tuning, and it is neat to see that when I eat this, this happens. And if I eat that, I will pay for that for about a week until I can get the scale back to where it was.

And I had to learn that the scale is not the only way to measure. It is just a small part of it, and maybe not a very good reliable part of it, but that part of it really helps me to stay focused and to keep at it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

150 lbs lost is great! Congrats! I think weighing yourself everyday is ok. It helps to keep you in check!
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    I've lost over 150 lbs, and not all of it on primal... though primal is what I have felt the best on so far. Now that I have pretty good eating habits firmly in place (no junk food, lots of veggies), if something doesn't seem to be working for me, I try tweaking one or two things and seeing how I feel and if it gives me the results I'm looking for. Then I'll keep the tweaks that work and try some different tweaks. I'm in a pretty good groove at the moment, eating how I described earlier. I also track and weigh everything I eat and log it in cronometer. I like that cronometer shows you how many vitamins and minerals you're getting as well as the macronutrients. Oh, I also weigh myself every single day, which I know a lot of people don't agree with, but it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast