Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious about nuts, fruits and weight loss page 2

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Howdy. I don't know your start weight, but personally I think it's better for big people (like meee) to try not to eat toooo much fruit at the start.

I eat raspberries like everyday, but other than that I only have some fruit every now and then. I don't lose as well when I eat it.

Also, I hate to admit it but the nuts are probably hindering me. Mainly cause they're so calorie dense so I just eat heaps of them really easily! But sometimes I handle them fine, I've never actually cut them out this whole time while I've lost 50lb.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

lastditcheffort is offline Junior Member
    Congrats to you! That is awesome! I weigh more than you and I think you have a good point with the fruit and nuts. I prefer raspberries and macadamia nuts are my weakness! But I can certainly cut back if it will only help my progress. Keep up the good work and thanks for the tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Howdy. I don't know your start weight, but personally I think it's better for big people (like meee) to try not to eat toooo much fruit at the start.

I eat raspberries like everyday, but other than that I only have some fruit every now and then. I don't lose as well when I eat it.

Also, I hate to admit it but the nuts are probably hindering me. Mainly cause they're so calorie dense so I just eat heaps of them really easily! But sometimes I handle them fine, I've never actually cut them out this whole time while I've lost 50lb.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    fruits and nuts will only hinder your weight loss in the sense that, eating fruit can trigger sugar cravings making you eat more or find more sugary substitutes and it is easy to go over your calories limit by even 500 cals by just eating half a cup of nuts. So yes, in that sense they do hinder weight loss because you are inadvertently exceeding your calorie intake.....

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    My very vague advice is to eat nuts and fruits WITH your normal meals. Don't use them as snacks. When you eat them buy nuts you have to shell rather than nut butters just as you should eat fruits whole rather than in juice form. Both can be part of a sub 150g low carb primal. If your shooting for sub 100g then you will have to be more careful with the fruit, and as noted you may need to abstain to completely slay your sugar demons in the beginning.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I think fruit and nuts can be a part of a fat loss diet, provided you are able to eat the appropriate amount.

For me personally, it's hard to stop at a handful of nuts or blueberries. It tend to be the whole bag or 2 pummels, then I'd go to the store and buy more and finish those. I won't stop til I'm burping up nuts/fruit.

I experimented cutting them out for a month and my plateau was broken without hunger. I just simply ate meat, fish and veggies until I'm totally stuffed (I used to consciously leave room for my fruit/nut desserts).

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    For me personally, it's hard to stop at a handful of nuts or blueberries. It tend to be the whole bag or 2 pummels, then I'd go to the store and buy more and finish those. I won't stop til I'm burping up nuts/fruit.

I hear ya. What helps me, is I keep most things frozen. I freeze my blueberries and strawberries. I keep my sliced almonds in the freezer. Then when I go to make my yogurt, I measure out my allotted amounts, and then put it right back in the freezer. If I didnt measure, or if they were out somewhere handy, I would probably be popping them all day long.

Since I track everything, I just need to know the exact amount so I think twice about just grabbing a handful, because then I have to go try to figure out how to track it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are tough for me, because unless you measure, it is waaaaay too easy to eat too many and consume too many calories. Presently, I am finding that eating fruit daily is keeping me happy, which means I just have to be mindful of the overall calories and snacking.
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

MissPiggy is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

At first I thought nuts were the problem, but turns out that for me anyway (I guess everybody reacts a bit differently to foods), fructose is the culprit for not losing fat, or for gaining it. If you like having fruit every day, stick to low fructose fruits like berries.

Good luck,
    MissPiggy

lastditcheffort is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it!

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I try to limit fruits and nuts to pre and post workout meals so those calories and fruit sugars are used for energy during my workouts, and are utilized as recovery foods afterwards. And, like stated above, combining them with other foods seems to work well for me.
    I limit them on rest days and in meals that are not "around workout" meals, sticking with meat, veggies and fats.
    Eating fruits and/or nuts by themselves as a snack is a recipie for an all-out binge for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12