Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cows eating candy during the drought page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Cows eating candy during the drought

Primal Fuel
    Whatever you do, don't feed them grass...

MAYFIELD, Ky. (CNN/WPSD) - Ranchers have struggled with skyrocketing corn prices, because the drought has made feeding their livestock very expensive. But one rancher has turned to a very sweet solution.

At Mayfield's United Livestock Commodities, owner Joseph Watson is tweaking the recipe for success.

"Just to be able to survive, we have to look for other sources of nutrition," he said.

His 1,400 cattle are no longer feeding off corn. The prices, Watson says, are too high to keep corn in stock. So earlier this year, he began to buy second-hand candy.
    Cows eating candy during the drought

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    He not just feeding them candy, but he's PROUD to be doing it. Sheesh. I'm sure glad I don't eat supermarket meat anymore.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    It's good for them, though, because they're getting fatter faster. Just like children.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    OK OK OK

WTHFH

this man raised cattle in the number one grass producing state in the nation and he cant let his cattle graze? WTFN?

this isnt texas ppl
    WE get once cow fed per acre. not per hectare
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Given that he's also feeding them some sort of silage and is using the candy to raise the calories; the cows might be getting more nutrients than ones that are being finished purely on grain . (And it's not like things are going to be ending well for any cow that's being finished).

gregpoole is offline Member
    Hmmmm.....M & M T bones. Main meal and dessert all in one!
    You are what you eat, so only eat the best!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Well, I guess candy is pretty much filled with corn products anyway. Quite amusing. Glad I don't eat that stuff.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I think this is a dumb idea, but when there's a drought, there isn't any grass for them to eat anyway. We're not even IN a drought here but our cows are on mostly hay at the moment because the grass isn't growing simply due to normal dry conditions at this time of year. IIRC this drought started well before normal haying time, too.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    Ok, I think this is a dumb idea, but when there's a drought, there isn't any grass for them to eat anyway. We're not even IN a drought here but our cows are on mostly hay at the moment because the grass isn't growing simply due to normal dry conditions at this time of year. IIRC this drought started well before normal haying time, too.
    Very true. We are in a very severe drought here and there is nothing for livestock to eat unless they are fed. I have friend who raises all of his own meat and there isn't even enough for his chickens.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Meat producers always feed stale candy/bread/pasta/factory waste/etc. Why this is new news I don't know. Waste oil feed commercial chickens, plus road kill and euthanized pets. Blah blah blah.

Sludge from aluminum smelters is approved as fertilizer for alfalfa that cattle eat. The heavy metals show up in the meat. No big deal.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast