Thread: How exactly does the O6/O3 ratio work? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

How exactly does the O6/O3 ratio work?

Primal Fuel
    I'm really starting to concentrate on my Omega 6/3 ratio and am interested to know how it works and is calculated. I've put my stats into a website and got a ratio of 1.2:1, I ate a lot of fish today. However, how does one know by just what they're eating if there ratio is good or not. Does eating grass fed beef vs. grain fed matter? How does your daily intake of O3 supplements and the time you take them effect your overall balance?

I'm just generally interested in this and would like to be enlightened, please!!! Many thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    I think too many people concentrate on supplementing O3 in order to achieve the optimal balance when what would be healthier is working on bringing down your O6 consumption. Yes they need to be in balance but they BOTH need to be a low %age of your diet.

If you have already cut out the bad oils, that's most of the battle right there. Yes, grassfed does matter. If you are eating grassfed ruminants and some seafood, I don't see any need to supplement with O3.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    What percentage do you recommend please, Paleobird ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Paleobird Guest
    I recommend the explanation given at the Archevore site by Dr. Kurt Harris for the long answer.

The short answer would be, if you are eating clean, i.e. no bad oils, all grassfed critters, including some seafood a couple of times a week, then relax and don't worry about it.

Only if you don't have access to grassfed or are unable to get seafood where you live would I think supplementing might be a good idea. Kurt Harris refers to this as "compensatory supplementation".