Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, Nuts... Addicted to O6! page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Oh, Nuts... Addicted to O6!

Primal Fuel
    Now that a Grok life is at the point of being easy on the macro-level, I'm learning more about the micro side of things a bit more. I came to a realization that I'm consuming way, way too much O6.

I love nuts, especially almonds. As embarrassed as I am to say this in such a dedicated primal community, I honestly eat at least 1/4 cup (!!!!) of almond butter, almonds, or hazelnuts at least 4 days per week. Easily.

I used paleotrack.com to check out my last few days of food, and the only issue is my 6:3 ratio. Today, so far, it is 117.3-to-1... I shit you not...

Can anyone give me an insight into the following?

- What could this be doing to my body? I'm not feeling ill; in fact, for the past 7 weeks of this lifestyle, I feel better than ever, especially mentally.
    - Is anyone else an O6/nut-lover like myself? How do you overcome this other than the obvious "get the shit out of your house if you can't control yourself!" mantra.

I used to be an obsessive Calorie-counter, so I'm fine with tracking my food... but that's a slippery slope for me and can turn into a food obsession like it has in the past, so I'd like to avoid having to monitor my ratios numerically.

Thanks1
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I was addicted to almond butter, all kinds of nut butters before, but they are binge triggering, and they gave me big bloating and digestive issues, I seem to put on fat quite easily eating them.
    So I limit my consumption to once in a blue moon, and I lost the taste I had for it. It's just too heavy to digest I guess, even the taste is satisfying after only a little bit of it.

I have a question related to this, and I didn't want to create another thread, is there anything bad with having more O3 than O6 ?
    I just discovered Paleotrack, and right now my ratio appears to be like this :

Omega-6 : omega-3 ratio
    7.2 g : 8.9 g
    0.8:1

I also take 3 or 4 pills of ~1g O3 (fish oil) so I'm kind of worried my ratio is too exaggerated.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I was addicted to almond butter, all kinds of nut butters before, but they are binge triggering, and they gave me big bloating and digestive issues, I seem to put on fat quite easily eating them.
    So I limit my consumption to once in a blue moon, and I lost the taste I had for it. It's just too heavy to digest I guess, even the taste is satisfying after only a little bit of it.

I have a question related to this, and I didn't want to create another thread, is there anything bad with having more O3 than O6 ?

I also take 3 or 4 pills of ~1g O3 (fish oil) so I'm kind of worried my ratio is too exaggerated.
    I'm pretty sure more O3 than 6 is worse than the other way around.
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

Thanks for your comment!

Although the primal thing has been going on for nearly 2 months now (and started the 21-Day Sugar Detox 6 days ago), I still have a major tummy-bloating problem. I seriously look pregnant by the end of the day - my lower belly is seriously perfectly round and sticks out about 2 inches from how it normally is in the morning.

Is bloating a side-effect from eating too many nuts? I also wonder if I'm retaining fat, even though my current carb consumption is consistently under 70g per day since being primal.

Also, based on a few threads I found around the forums about PaleoTrack.com, the site is apparently kind of wonky. The values they give for some of the fatty acids and other micronutrients can be inaccurate, so many folks stopped using the site to track that kind of stuff.

elan.joelle is offline Junior Member
    I love nuts too! I eat.. a lot.. I eat walnuts and pecans almost everyday.
    This is adding ot the question: what is there to eat besides nuts that will fill me up the same and just as low in carbs.

In the beginning of going Primal I felt good too, but lately I've been tired and very unmotivated to move... could be the nuts..

(crap.. already at my 1/2 cup today..)

elan, try coconut in some of its forms, like coconut flakes or that kind of stuff.
    It doesn't have the O6 problem and is very high in sat fats, and very low in carbs

MissJecka, I don't know if it's a common side effect but it's something I've been experiencing quite often when I overindulge with nuts.

Do any of you know a good iPod Touch/iPhone app that provides calories/macro tracking but ALSO micronutrients like O3/O6...etc ? Thank you very much !
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I honestly eat at least 1/4 cup (!!!!) of almond butter, almonds, or hazelnuts at least 4 days per week. Easily.
    A whole quarter of a cup? Oh my GOD!!!

Relax about such a minimal amount of almond butter. Come back when you're eating the whole jar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A whole quarter of a cup? Oh my GOD!!!

Relax about such a minimal amount of almond butter. Come back when you're eating the whole jar.
    I actually said at least 1/4 cup, meaning more often than not, I eat upwards of 1/3 cup or more of the stuff. Just today, for instance, I finished off the last 1/2 cup that was at the bottom of the jar... and I could honestly have eaten more if there was more left... and don't think that means I won't end up eating a handful of hazelnuts with dinner! I'm insatiable when it comes to these damned things.

Hey, relax, I ate one whole cup of almond butter if not more yesterday evening. But I don't make it a habit.
    You should see nuts as a very occasionnal food, like decadent desserts are seen on a SAD diet.
    It makes things much more easier when you have the right mindset.
    And honestly, when I eat more saturated fats and enjoy my meals, I don't find nuts tasting that good.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I actually said at least 1/4 cup, meaning more often than not, I eat upwards of 1/3 cup or more of the stuff. Just today, for instance, I finished off the last 1/2 cup that was at the bottom of the jar... and I could honestly have eaten more if there was more left... and don't think that means I won't end up eating a handful of hazelnuts with dinner! I'm insatiable when it comes to these damned things.
    I hate to break the bad news to you but you have done irrevocable damage to your body by eating 1/3 of a cup of almond butter (for numerous days). I would get your affairs in order.

For the last 2 weeks I have eaten 30oz of chicken every day. I was worried about the omega six I was consuming until I realized, oh wait, I wasn't concerned.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast