Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh, Nuts... Addicted to O6! page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It is my own personal opinion, based on nothing more that how it feels to eat pork and chicken, that as long as your fats come mostly from animals, it's all good. I eat some fish nearly every day (salmon usually). I get so much fish oil from the fish I eat that my blood comes out runny and thin like an old man on an aspirin regimen. I pay absolutely no attention to grams or ratios. I eat CAFO beef much of the time and only sometimes grass-fed beef. Mostly CAFO because I tend to eat beef organs rather than muscle meat. I try to get pastured pork but don't care too much if I don't. I try to get pastured chicken because the other stuff just sucks. I eat organ meats more than once a week. I feel terrific, I look pretty good, my skin is great, I'm athletic and happy.

I see you are pretty wound up about your PUFAs with all the topics you've posted in recently. In my opinion, don't worry so much. Just stay away from oils made in labs or from seeds and you'll be okay.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish Paleo could move on and instead of carb wars have some good O6 wars because I strongly suspect that the whole O6 thing is WAY overblown. If the O6 comes from natural foods like pigs, chickens and nuts, I really don't think there's anything to worry about AT ALL.
    I agree.

Overeating nut butters (as OP pointed out) is worrisome to me though. Just because I've been there and I've played the head games too ("that's just 2 Tb spoons, right? Not).

liza is offline Senior Member
    I figure, if I'm cracking the in-shell pistachios using my fingers, if I still have my fingernails when I've had enough to eat, I haven't eaten too many (nuts, that is; I'm not a nail-biter).

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Thanks again, everyone, for the abundant comments. I'm surprised this got so much attention, and I'm glad for it! I think I'm going to donate my last jar of almond butter from my pantry and just stick with in-shell nuts so I don't go crazy with binge-eating spoonfuls of the stuff. I think I'll also try abstaining from them just to get rid of the vice for a week or so and see how my body (bloating, etc.) react to the absence (and slow re-introduction) of the stuff.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Thanks again, everyone, for the abundant comments. I'm surprised this got so much attention, and I'm glad for it! I think I'm going to donate my last jar of almond butter from my pantry and just stick with in-shell nuts so I don't go crazy with binge-eating spoonfuls of the stuff. I think I'll also try abstaining from them just to get rid of the vice for a week or so and see how my body (bloating, etc.) react to the absence (and slow re-introduction) of the stuff.
    Ok...so for the past couple of days, I decided to toss the almonds, keep that macadamias and try red meat and plenty of whole eggs. For some reason it worked instantly; I was satisfied and didn't crave the nuts...which is really, really out of character for me. I threw macadamias in a salad (you know, a normal/human amount) and I was good. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but you can try it out! Oh; and the bloat disappeared!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Omega 6 from whole nuts and animal fat =/= omega 6 from refined seed oils.

There is tons and tons of evidence showing the disastrous health consequences of a diet high in omega 6 from seed oils, grains and legumes. I have not seen any evidence that show that a diet rich in pork, chicken and whole nuts is unhealthy, even though you'd have a high intake of omega 6.

This is a great thread asking a silly question.

The !Kung: How come they can eat a load of omega 6? - PaleoHacks.com

There are extreme examples of every lifestyle.

1.) The Inuit diet is an extreme ketogenic diet that consists of almost only animal products, very little vegetation.

2.) The King diet includes half of their calories from the mongongo nut, which is very high in omega 6.

3.) The Kitivans eat a diet of almost entirely starch with very little fat and protein. They are the epitome of "sugar burners."

Yet, they're all healthy and don't suffer from diseases of modern society. It's almost as if...natural foods made by Mother Nature...don't make us sick like the foods engineered by food scientists. I don't necessarily believe that eating a lot of nuts is unhealthy. However, I strongly, strongly disagree with grinding them up into meals and baking them. I refuse to eat almond meal confections because you're essentially creating varnish in your own oven. IMO, natural food in its natural state is almost always healthy. I avoid large quantities of nuts solely because the protein is junk protein, they aren't as nutritious as fruits, vegetables and meats and they're super easy to overeat because they have a caloric density higher than chocolate. I don't see them making you sick, but I do see them making you chubby or stopping your fat loss due to overconsumption.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    Ok...so for the past couple of days, I decided to toss the almonds, keep that macadamias and try red meat and plenty of whole eggs. For some reason it worked instantly; I was satisfied and didn't crave the nuts...which is really, really out of character for me. I threw macadamias in a salad (you know, a normal/human amount) and I was good. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but you can try it out! Oh; and the bloat disappeared!
    Thanks! I have some hazelnuts and almonds in my pantry... I'm not sure what to do with all of it! But, I know I need to cut this stuff out, and hearing your results makes me confident that in doing so I will be better off. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    IMO, natural food in its natural state is almost always healthy. I avoid large quantities of nuts solely because the protein is junk protein, they aren't as nutritious as fruits, vegetables and meats and they're super easy to overeat because they have a caloric density higher than chocolate. I don't see them making you sick, but I do see them making you chubby or stopping your fat loss due to overconsumption.
    Agreed. I think it's just an over-consumption thing, not necessarily a health thing (as I've been doing this for years and don't have any health issues besides acne and some bloating). Thank you for your comment!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I used to bloat from almond butter---and had to cut it out too! i could snack on dark chocolate without issues, but dark chocolate with almond butter slathered on would make my belly bloat. (although just typing that makes me want that combo!)

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I used to bloat from almond butter---and had to cut it out too! i could snack on dark chocolate without issues, but dark chocolate with almond butter slathered on would make my belly bloat. (although just typing that makes me want that combo!)
    You may be able to remove the bloating effect by soaking and rinsing your nuts, then drying them slowly in the oven and pureeing them in a blender to make your own nut butter. I just soaked a pound of cashews to make cashew butter today.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nut butters are absolutely a trigger food for me. i can ignore the jar, but once it's open i'll eateateateateat it til i am sick. i simply don't buy it anymore.

i don't keep nuts in my house because they are not satisfying in small portions. at this point, i'd rather get calories and protein from animals. i do most of my cooking at my b/f's house, so almonds live in his freezer. i chop them onto veggies or salad.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast