Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh, Nuts... Addicted to O6! page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I suggest eating more food with your meals so you aren't hungry for snacks. And then make sure you are hungry before you reach for the nuts. I was going through a lot of nuts the first couple months of this WOE, snacking nearly every day. But now I make a conscious effort to eat more at meals so I'm not hungry between meals. And "magically" my nut consumption has gone down. I'm not one to eat them with meals typically, so cutting out the snacking cut out the nuts.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I hate to break the bad news to you but you have done irrevocable damage to your body by eating 1/3 of a cup of almond butter (for numerous days). I would get your affairs in order.
    Agreed. It's one hell of a vice. As the title of this thread says, I'm addicted to O6 - in this case, nuts. I do consume a lot of fish; it's probably my 3rd greatest protein source (after eggs and chicken)... I just don't eat enough of it to get enough O3 to compensate for the excess 6 I keep guzzling. I just find nuts to satisfy my palate even if they're not satisfying my body as much as I'd like. (I'm never constipated or physically uncomfortable, except for bloating, as a result of eating so much of the stuff, so I never saw it as an issue.)

I think I just need to go the route I did with the bad stuff (wheat, soy, etc.) in the beginning of my lifestyle shift - get it out of my house. It's just pitiful that I have to be so in love with something as simple as nuts. That's how I stopped eating wheat and now I don't miss it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I suggest eating more food with your meals so you aren't hungry for snacks. And then make sure you are hungry before you reach for the nuts. I was going through a lot of nuts the first couple months of this WOE, snacking nearly every day. But now I make a conscious effort to eat more at meals so I'm not hungry between meals. And "magically" my nut consumption has gone down. I'm not one to eat them with meals typically, so cutting out the snacking cut out the nuts.
    I actually don't snack. I eat two meals per day, maybe three. I have many components to my meals: a good amount of meat, half a plate of veggies, and usually some kind of tuber or fruit on the side with nuts or nut butter accompanying the fruit/starch. I don't snack on them unless I actually am legitimately tummy-grumbling hungry and something comes up in my schedule and I need something quick on the way out the door.
    Last edited by MissJecka; 08-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Do you cook your veggies and your meat in some kind of fat ?
    It's very important on a Paleo lifestyle.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    For months I could just eat 1 - 2 Tbsps after a meal once a day, then after a while almond butter became a binge spree trigger food for me. I would just eat too much of it. So I had to stop buying it. Just today I had to almost run through the grocery store aisle where it's located. Out of sight, out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Do you cook your veggies and your meat in some kind of fat ?
    It's very important on a Paleo lifestyle.
    Yep, I cook my meat, veggies, and poultry in bacon drippings (personal favorite), olive oil, or coconut oil. I also eat anywhere between 2 tbsp and 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk, depending on the day, hunger, or recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    For months I could just eat 1 - 2 Tbsps after a meal once a day, then after a while almond butter became a binge spree trigger food for me. I would just eat too much of it. So I had to stop buying it. Just today I had to almost run through the grocery store aisle where it's located. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Yeah, I think it's a binge food for me, too. And I know I under-estimate the amount I eat, just to fuck with my brain, telling myself, "Oh, yeah, that's totally two tablespoons!"

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Now that a Grok life is at the point of being easy on the macro-level, I'm learning more about the micro side of things a bit more. I came to a realization that I'm consuming way, way too much O6.

I love nuts, especially almonds. As embarrassed as I am to say this in such a dedicated primal community, I honestly eat at least 1/4 cup (!!!!) of almond butter, almonds, or hazelnuts at least 4 days per week. Easily.

I used paleotrack.com to check out my last few days of food, and the only issue is my 6:3 ratio. Today, so far, it is 117.3-to-1... I shit you not...

Can anyone give me an insight into the following?

- What could this be doing to my body? I'm not feeling ill; in fact, for the past 7 weeks of this lifestyle, I feel better than ever, especially mentally.
    - Is anyone else an O6/nut-lover like myself? How do you overcome this other than the obvious "get the shit out of your house if you can't control yourself!" mantra.

I used to be an obsessive Calorie-counter, so I'm fine with tracking my food... but that's a slippery slope for me and can turn into a food obsession like it has in the past, so I'd like to avoid having to monitor my ratios numerically.

Thanks1
    Holy crap it sounds like I wrote this - I'm in the same boat; WTH?!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I am going to shop at whole foods today and yall making me wanna buy some nut butter...ugh

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    Holy crap it sounds like I wrote this - I'm in the same boat; WTH?!
    Hah! Fabulous. At least someone understands!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wish Paleo could move on and instead of carb wars have some good O6 wars because I strongly suspect that the whole O6 thing is WAY overblown. If the O6 comes from natural foods like pigs, chickens and nuts, I really don't think there's anything to worry about AT ALL.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish Paleo could move on and instead of carb wars have some good O6 wars because I strongly suspect that the whole O6 thing is WAY overblown. If the O6 comes from natural foods like pigs, chickens and nuts, I really don't think there's anything to worry about AT ALL.
    So what do you think about this whole "PUFA" debate, that you shouldn't eat more than 10 g daily...etc ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast