Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rape of the school playing fields page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Rape of the school playing fields

Primal Fuel
    Britain's Daily Telegraph leads with a story about the country's school playing fields. Kudos to them for giving prominence to what many doubtless regard as a minor matter.

Britain's Secretary of State for Education has five times overruled his own experts on this issue, being determined to cash in. And this is a so-called "conservative" administration.

The sale of these assets began decades ago, but it seems we're not finished yet.

I'm told the Secretray - one Michael Glove - thinks British education should be more like education in Korea. In particular it's maths education "scores" he hankers after. This limited view! As if people were "all head". My Dad was an academic in an engineering subject & remembers Korean students who'd add the date into a formula. No understanding; all by rote.

That is what these narrow-minded people see as the futire of education I insofar as they think aboit education (and not balance-sheets) at all.

And to think that the Ancient Greeks saw all education as beginning wuth music and gymnastic

I just feel angry at such stupidity.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Humans don't need fields. Fields are for animals. The human's natural habitat is cold, concrete, and bricks.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have mixed feelings about this only because I have mixed feelings about how much of parents' responsibilities should be taken up by schools. As money/budgets get tight, I'd honestly rather have schools that churn out kids who can read and do at least enough math to figure out unit pricing in a grocery store.

Humans need fields for sure. Humans need food, and the public schools here in many districts offer both a subsidized lunch and breakfast. There are x dollars. They have to be allocated. In the scheme of things, we really do need scientists more than we need football players.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this only because I have mixed feelings about how much of parents' responsibilities should be taken up by schools. As money/budgets get tight, I'd honestly rather have schools that churn out kids who can read and do at least enough math to figure out unit pricing in a grocery store.

Humans need fields for sure. Humans need food, and the public schools here in many districts offer both a subsidized lunch and breakfast. There are x dollars. They have to be allocated. In the scheme of things, we really do need scientists more than we need football players.
    Football players didn't screw up an entire generation by convincing everyone that the items in the categories of poison and food were in the wrong columns.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

No, that would be the agribusiness/govt alliance who squash scientific findings time after time.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it, our youngsters need the school fields to play on. I played football (soccer for you colonials) and cricket very badly but at least had fun. Kids also need to understand that there will be winners and losers. I learned to find something I can win at instead of whingeing about losing.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bosnic View Post
    humans don't need fields. Fields are for animals. The human's natural habitat is cold, concrete, and bricks.
    lol

If I were Queen of the World, govt budgets would always budget for children first, and schools would be the top line on my budget. Schools would be places conducive to learning and exercising healthy bodies. They would have small classes, teach music and art, have fields, and in the areas where needed, there would be healthy subsidized breakfast and lunches. The teachers wouldn't have to spend half their time on administrative tasks, i.e., they'd be able to teach, and wouldn't have to dip into their own pockets to get the little ones art supplies.

It actually saddens me that children are so low on most govt to-do lists. Still and all, I feel that academics should be the top priority for school. Teach a child to read and not be flummoxed by mathematical concepts and s/he can go on to learn everything else on her/his own.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    It actually saddens me that children are so low on most govt to-do lists. Still and all, I feel that academics should be the top priority for school. Teach a child to read and not be flummoxed by mathematical concepts and s/he can go on to learn everything else on her/his own.
    The very situation you decry exists only because children and education are so high on government's to do list. If you really care about children or education, you should do everything in your power to keep government away from them. Government has no more business in education than they do in food.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member

Yep, we'll need all those scientists to develop ineffective (but highly profitable) cures and products for those chronically ill generations that schools produced by feeding them subsidised poison and denying them the space to exercise. Science is part of the problem, not the solution. We need to de-think to survive. I thought this, at least, was something all PBers could agree on.

Total amount of physical education hours per week in my school schedule throughout my childhood: 2
    Total amount of hours per week spent playing soccer/frisbee/tag etc out on the school playing fields: 7.5

It's a no-brainer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast