Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously lacking motivation page

elan.joelle is offline Junior Member

Seriously lacking motivation

So I have been primal for about 3 months, and in the begininng I loved the workouts, the eating was easy.. it was all so good.

But lately, I've just been completely lacking in the motivation to workout.. I DREAD my heavy lifting days and it takes all of my willpower to drag myself out of bed to go for a walk or my one day sprint. What is going on? Before going primal I used to work out for an hour and a half everyday and I didn't feel this much dread of working out even then. I've tried working out in the early morning (6 am) or after work (4 pm), either way its such a ..ugh. And I don't even feel better after.

I love playing tennis with my boyfriend, and that does get me moving, but yesterday I noticed I was doing everything in my power to not have to move as much (subconsciously)...
    What is going on?? How can I make working out something fun again.. and espically the heavy lifting part.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Just my experience...

Have you looked at how you are eating? Stress levels? How much sleep are you getting? I went through a brutal fatigue earlier this year, and felt similarly. Just getting out of the car was an effort. Working out? Only because I had a partner, but my heart wasn't in it, and I dreaded getting out of bed to do it. Personally, I had candida overgrowth, but other folks recommended adrenal fatigue, too much sugar in my diet (which for me playing into candida), not enough sleep, and way too much stress.

Since getting all sugars out of my diet, getting 7.5-8 hours of a sleep a night, and working on my stress levels (still working on this), my energy levels are significantly better. I was a Primal eater -- with fruit, dark chocolate, and my weakness of ice cream a bit too often. Cleaning up my diet and focusing on protecting my energy inducers -- sleep, relaxation, time -- I've been much, much better.

All that to say, it probably has less to do with your food than other factors, but take a close look at all of it and see what might be at fault for this. Because you are right to question it -- it shouldn't feel that way. I do half hour workouts that are heavy, intense, and I feel great afterwards -- but I didn't used to feel that way.

Hang in there.

ain't about nuttin

elan.joelle is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    Have you looked at how you are eating? Stress levels? How much sleep are you getting? .
    Thanks for the good advice. I think I'm eating pretty well, about 80-100 carbs a day, I'm not really trying to loose weight (I'm about 143 lbs and 5' 9") I am just trying to live a healthy lifestyle.

It could be the sleep thing. I have to drive an hour to work every morning and an hour back, this will be changing in 2 weeks because I am moving which will allow me to sleep in more.

To be honest, I don't think I am stressed, I think you know when you are stressed and I don't feel that. It might be the getting up early thing like 6 am, before the sun rises, and when I come home after an hour of driving the last thing I feel like doing is 90 squats.
    Previously when I was on CW, I got to wake up at 9 am, get some coffee and actually wake up and I would work out at 10 am. (this was before the office job).
    I am starting to think it may be about the timing of my workouts.. thoughts? anyone else have this expirence??

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Listen to your body - a week or two off in the grand scheme of things is no biggie. Look at what is could be causing this lack of motivation, are you bored with what you are doing? Are stressed by something else? Is there anything that has creapt into your diet that is less than optimal for you?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    From an active person: more carbs.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'd take a little time off. I do it myself when my body tells me to. I may do a few things during that time but they are less intensity. Not wanting to get out of bed and dreading workouts is a telltale sign of over training/burnout. Listen to it, as its serious. If your training has been intense, you need to reduce to volume and frequency or it will catch up to you quickly. You should literally bounce out of bed in the morning. If you don't, changes must be made.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Listen to your body - a week or two off in the grand scheme of things is no biggie. Look at what is could be causing this lack of motivation, are you bored with what you are doing? Are stressed by something else? Is there anything that has creapt into your diet that is less than optimal for you?
    +1

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    "Listen to your body" is trite advice that usually isn't helpful (what if you're a crack addict or an obese fatass craving sugar?), but in cases like this, I think it's on the money. Take a couple weeks off and make sure you're getting enough carbs. Good luck

Baba is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    An hour and a half every day??? No wonder you're tired... Rest.

And if you still have the problem even when fully recovered, just do it. I've wrecked my brain about how to get motivated until I decided that I don't need motivation - I just need to do it, motivated or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast