Hi Folks,

I've been enjoying the forums for quite a while, but this is my first post. I turned primal about 3 months ago. I was in decent shape, but I have seen a great transformation with this lifestyle change, and I couldn't be happier. Here is my issue: about a month and a half ago my wife decided to change her lifestyle to primal also. She is somewhat overweight, and has lost quite a bit of weight already, with more to go. She was feeling good about the change until yesterday. Her cholesterol levels have always been high, and she has a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease. Every year after her routine physical, her doctor tries to get her to go on a statin to reduce her cholesterol levels. I have been adamantly opposed to this, and have shared with her all I know about statins not helping women, the very tenuous link between cholesterol and disease, etc. She decided to wait it out until she got the results back of her latest test after eating primal for a while. Anyway last night her results came back as follows:

6 months ago Yesterday
Total Cholesterol 226 239
LDL 162 174
HDL 51 45
Trigs 62 98

I had primed her that her LDL might go up (and not to worry), but the numbers had our doctor calling again and telling her she needs to be on Lipitor. I am in an awkward position - I want what is best for her, which is to continue to be primal and not be on statins. But I am arguing against her doctor's advice, which is making her nervous. Any suggestions as to what these numbers mean and what I can tell her? I am a little surprised by the triglyceride levels and the ratio to HDL.

Thanks!