Thread: 35 and overweight page

OsirisTree is offline Junior Member

35 and overweight

I am 35, mother of two beautiful girls (4 years old and 7 months old). This is the second time I have started the primal blueprint.

The first time was in 2010, stuck to it for 4 months and I lost a lot of weight, felt great and had tons of energy! and then I became pregnant with child#2 and it all went downhill from there (nutrition-wise). I had all the best intentions, knew what had to be done, but my pregnancy cravings were too strong (or my resolve was weak - either way) and ended up eating a pack of Fox's chunky's (choc chip cookies) every day ! Along with a pile of other stuff I'd rather not mention !
    I did, however, make bone broth and eat bone marrow and liver (not too much) during my second pregnancy which, I think, is why she was so strong and healthy when she arrived. She was able to lift her head on her own from day 1!

Anyhoo, I know that this is not a diet and is really a way of life. I intend to go all out and do this right this time around.
    Hopefully I can influence my children to eat healthier, more wholesome foods.

I have also started doing some calisthenics ... bodyweight training for strength and if it happens to tone up all the flabby bits then that's just a bonus

My husband isn't too keen on changing his eating habit too radically right now. But I'm sure, with enough persistence on my part, that can be changed

I hope to start a journal soon to document my progress etc

I am enjoying reading everyone else s journals and posts. Very informative and helpful. I think I need all the help I can get when it comes to sticking to this long term - I still crave choc chip cookies now and then ... but I could experiment with primal versions, it's just not so easy to pop off to the shop and buy a pack of almond flour cookies ! I'm just lazy [I'm working on this]

I have only been eating the primal way for 1 week (5 days to be exact) now but intend it to be a long term endeavor.

My stats:
    Start weight: 167.4 lbs / 76.1kg
    Current Weight: 165 lbs / 75 kg
    Height: 5' 6"

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions or criticisms

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Cool name. Best of luck to you on starting your journey. You already know how much better you will feel if you stick with it.

My advice would be don't try to do a primal version of the chocolate chip cookies for a while. Ride out the cravings and stay away from things that taste sweet, and you will find that your cravings should fade a bit over time. They may or may not disappear entirely, but most people seem to get to a point where they don't "need" the sweets anymore. Primal approximations of the things you crave only feeds the craving, and doesn't let it dissipate. Also, almond flour is kind of a calorie bomb, so it might stall you a bit to use in any more than a very tiny quantity.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    Cool name. Best of luck to you on starting your journey. You already know how much better you will feel if you stick with it.

My advice would be don't try to do a primal version of the chocolate chip cookies for a while. Ride out the cravings and stay away from things that taste sweet, and you will find that your cravings should fade a bit over time. They may or may not disappear entirely, but most people seem to get to a point where they don't "need" the sweets anymore. Primal approximations of the things you crave only feeds the craving, and doesn't let it dissipate. Also, almond flour is kind of a calorie bomb, so it might stall you a bit to use in any more than a very tiny quantity.
    +1

Lady, you ain't lazy with two kids at home! I truly hate that so many of us label ourselves lazy, when no one in our immediate circle would dream of calling us that. Foods like cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, etc. are very, very palatable. For those of us who enjoy foods a bit too much, it is next to impossible to just have a little. And you have all the willpower you need -- I promise. Simply stay away from them. Tell everyone you know that you aren't eating like that anymore. And avoid situations that will put you around it. Until you have gotten rid of the cravings, even food commercials might be too much! But please don't ever think that it is something wrong with you. Food manufacturers have figured out how to make us want their foods even more but increasing the sugar, engaging enough fat and wheat. These things taste amazing, and they make our taste receptors wild. It's no wonder we want more and more.

You stay away long enough, you won't be able to stand the flavor. It's been three years, and I can't stomach most commercial ice creams or drinks. I find them gross. And that's amazing for a food addict like me.

OsirisTree is offline Junior Member
    @Danielle5690 - thanks this name has stuck with me for years, not trying primal versions of treats is some really good advice, thank you! I will [try] stay from sweet tasting food - I will only include 1 fruit a day, most likely a few blueberries if I feel I need something sweet. Thank you for the advice!

@caivyn - haha I sometimes feel like I should be doing loads more, although I do work full-time as a software developer and I am studying a psychology degree part-time, still ... there's always time to fit something else in ... somewhere ... ... but yeah you are right ... children are hard work but fun hard work ! How many do you have? Are they living primally?

When I went primal the first time I got to the point where even 85% dark chocolate was too sweet and had to stick with 90% or nothing ... I look forward to getting to that point again!

Thank you both for your warm welcomes and excellent advice !!!!

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    No kids here -- but raised two stepkids, in which I had a big hand. So I admire mothers! And you are definitely pushing your limits, woman! Don't forget to protect those adrenals, and you can absolutely do this. Remind yourself that, "you own this." Nourish your body and health. And it's what will get you through all of the stressors.

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey! First of all, congrats on making the change. I'm a relative newbie, just like you, and with similar stats, except I'm 16. I'm also having issues with the carb cravings, but since I cook a lot, I do end up making a lot of "Primal" sweets that put me way over the carb limit.
    For example, my dad was begging me for apple pie yesterday. Because I knew if I made apple pie, I would have to try some, I baked apple slices on an almond and date crust, and ate that. So I'm still trying to find a way to break through that "if it's in front of me, I need to eat it" mentality.
    I actually wasn't NEEDING the pie this time. As in, it tasted good, and I thought, "it's Primal, so why worry?" but honestly, I think I should have left it (and could have!)

If you're struggling with cravings, maybe try supplementing with GABA and l-tryptophan? I could not switch to Primal before these. My carb cravings would send me straight into the fridge for the cold pasta and stale crackers.
    Ever since I started taking those supps, I could really take carbs or leave them. It's just my mental habits giving me a barrier
    Best of luck!