Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does a batch of bone broth last? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

How long does a batch of bone broth last?

Primal Fuel
    I was out shopping here in Kabul today and went to the butcher. To my delight, they sell bones (2 bucks a kilo) and I'm now making a nice batch of broth. How long does a pot of broth last just sitting in the fridge and taking a couple cups full every day?

And when it's on the stove, should the water be boiling or just simmering?

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Simmering, do you have a slow cooker? much easier and safer.

4 days? Freeze excess in small portions to thaw later.

Also, my stove is a gas-flame one and the lowest heat on the smallest burner still causes the broth to boil. Since I'd like to make this a nice, slow broth over the course of two days, I'm wondering what remedy to this problem is there? Can I just keep adding water to it when it gets low, or will that dilute all of the nutrients?

Thanks for the feedback thus far!!!

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    I think that when I make it at home, we basically put it on medium high heat for 4-5 hours, then let it stop. You can reuse the bones again.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    If you use a proper stock pot, I found that eating a cup or two a day it can last 1-2 weeks because it results in a LOT of stock but I'm talking 16 quart stock pot. I froze a lot of it actually and it kept really well. Love bone broth, wish I had more time to make it!

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I keep it 4 days in the fridge. I put it in smaller jars so the layer of fat at the top keeps out air. I also freeze one or two jars with room at the top so it lasts even longer.

I cook it in the slow cooker for 72 hrs. I always put in a bit of vinegar. I never boil it even when reheating.

Below are links to Mark's blog on this and the fabulous recipe that I (mostly) follow (I roast twice at 30 mins each and sometimes add garlic or shallots as well). My broth turns to solid jelly in the fridge and I scrape off most of the fat to freeze & cook with.

Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Make "Brown" Beef Bone Stock

I also highly recommend you search the forums as there are quite a few threads on bone broth. I hated my first batch but now I have the knack of it. Chicken bones/carcasses take FAR less time - 12 hours, I think ...

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    I just finished making a big batch of chicken bone broth yesterday. Make sure you have added some vinegar (at least 1/4 cup) while cooking the broth to help dissolve the nutrients from the bones. I have a bunch of wide mouth pint-size glass jars that are suitable for freezing. So I freeze my broth in 2-cup portions. Each jar equals in quantity about 1 can of store bought broth. When I run out of jars, I freeze the rest in a big plastic pitcher, figuring I'll use it to make at least one big batch of soup for the family or to take to a pot-luck. To thaw the jars, put some luke-warm water in the sink. Set the jar in the water. When it thaws enough around the inside edge of the jar, you can dump it out into a sauce pan and finish heating it on the stove.

Good luck with your bone broth!
    Ruth

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    Also, my stove is a gas-flame one and the lowest heat on the smallest burner still causes the broth to boil. Since I'd like to make this a nice, slow broth over the course of two days, I'm wondering what remedy to this problem is there? Can I just keep adding water to it when it gets low, or will that dilute all of the nutrients?

Thanks for the feedback thus far!!!
    If you can, try getting a used crockpot at a tag sale. For now, topping up with water is OK - you can always reduce it later if it's not jellied enough. I turn my crock off for 20 mins every so often when it bubbles too much (or switch it to the warm setting)... I guess you can do the same. If your oven goes low, you can cook it in an oven proof dish with lid if you have one? keep it on low and periodically turn off for 20 mins at a time, perhaps.

Just some thoughts...

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I cook for 72 hours - mine never jellies but I haven't been using knuckle bones, just marrow bones. I usually get 4 quarts and keep it in the fridge. It lasts about a week and a half. I use it as a breakfast soup with greens and eggs, and also make all of my sauces with it. It's good to boil potatoes in too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast