Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did your mother used to hide sweets from you? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    We never had sweets in the house when I was a kid. I had ridiculously healthy parents. There was always a big bowl of fresh fruit on the table if we were hungry for a snack. The worst dietary stuff I grew up with was brown rice with the tofu and veg stirfry. I don't think that did me any serious harm. We would have something like a cheesecake or carrot cake once in a blue moon like for a birthday or Thanksgiving but it was never around on a daily basis.

I never developed a sweet tooth at all and I thank Mom for that. Going Primal was probably much easier for me without it.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    We never had sweets in the house when I was a kid. I had ridiculously healthy parents. There was always a big bowl of fresh fruit on the table if we were hungry for a snack.
    Ditto. Also I was in competitive figure skating so junk food as a whole was a big no-no. Junk food only came into my diet when I moved away from home for college.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Ditto. Also I was in competitive figure skating so junk food as a whole was a big no-no. Junk food only came into my diet when I moved away from home for college.
    Yep, I put on the dreaded Freshman Ten that first year.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Oh. Well, I feel your pain anyway. My growth was stunted by my celiac disease during the year that I was made a charge of the government. They feed you nothing but pasta. Now I'm only 6'3.5" even though I should've hit 6'7".
    At least you can lift easier, being closer to the ground

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Hiding sweets can have an opposite effect. A friend of mine used to never be allowed sweets so now hen he's old enough to buy them himself he buys baga at a time.
    My mom used to Never hide sweets. I could ask money for sweets whenever I wanted. However when I was about 3 years old my mom once said "sweets taste awful, some dark chocolate is what I really like"
    And for some reason since she said that I was super scared of candy. When I my friends offered it I always refused because I was afraid it would be super gross. But I always saw my mom eating dark chocolate, so that's what I did
    Billie trips balls

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Yup, sure did! I would always find them, and then my stepdad had the genius idea to hide them in his work suitcase, which had a code-lock on it. I sat down with it one day, thought for a bit, tried his birthdate, tried my mom's birthdate, then tried the first few digits of our home phone number....CRACKED.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Oh. Well, I feel your pain anyway. My growth was stunted by my celiac disease during the year that I was made a charge of the government. They feed you nothing but pasta. Now I'm only 6'3.5" even though I should've hit 6'7".
    Meh. You get used to it. It has some advantages. Like being able to stretch out fully in the bath. Mmmmm lovely.

6'3.5 is pretty darn tall though even if it wasn't your full height. I bet you're that guy that always stands right in front of me at concerts

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Only for a short time. I got a little chubacious approaching puberty. Mother stopped buying snacks I liked. I got into some stewed prunes and not understanding the consequences, I binged. Awful night.

The silly thing is, I look at those pics now, and to me it just looks like what a lot of girls go through before puberty. When I see the kids going to school in the mornings, it seems that middle school kids almost all look like bizarre human seedlings, too skinny, too chubby, all legs, mouth armour, etc. I don't get why she freaked out.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    My parents had us so brainwashed we didn't touch the treats until they said it was okay. We knew to ask, even call my mom at her office, she'd always say just one, or wait, I'm bringing home something even better. She'd also tell us to do homework with no TV until she got there and we obeyed like little robots. They constantly told us that we were the very best kids in the world so we tried to play the role, I guess.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh ha ha does this topic bring back the memories!

- Mom took our Halloween candy and pilfered all the snickers for herself. Then we kids ate all of the rest within two days. My dad said it would be better for our teeth to get it over with so he encouraged it.

- Mom bought these awful lemon cookies because we didn't like them. But we ate them anyway.

- Mom wouldn't let us have candy or sweets or she'd limit cookies to only two (Halloween and Christmas were an exception). My sister and I would raid the cupboard and eat powdered sugar with a spoon.

- Mom wouldn't put sweets in our lunches. Milk at school cost 7 cents and ice cream cost 10 cents so I would save my milk money and buy ice cream every other day. Eventually there was enough left over to go to 7-11 and get a candy bar. Those were only 5 cents back then.

- I spent all my allowance on candy at 7-11. I bought the biggest candy bar they had--the Charleston Chew.

- I stole candy from those little bulk bins when my mom brought us grocery shopping. I'd hide a pilfered caramel in my hand until I got home and then I'd eat it in the back yard.

- I stole candy as a teenager. Just opened the fun-sized bags in the store and took a few.

Ah yeah, I was a huge sugar addict that's for sure. If my mom hid sweets from me, I never found them. It's a wonder I didn't end up way fatter than I did.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast