Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are these people pulling my leg? page 6

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Weak people make me angry. It's all I can do to hold in my thoughts. "How irresponsible can you be? If I broke my ankle, you COULDN'T CARRY ME. And you don't care, feel guilt, or feel even remotely responsible." The bare minimum strength requirement probably ought to be the ability to carry another person.
    Quote Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
    This is actually why I started strength training. I wanted to make sure that if I was hiking and I or someone that I was with fell over the side of a cliff, I would be able to pull myself or that person back up (or maybe I've just watched to many 90210 reruns - Brandon & Dylan - cliff, lol). I also wanted to make sure that if someone was chasing myself and my child, I could pick up my child and still run like hell (thank you heavy lifting and sprints!).

THIS. (especially the 90210 part... *snort*)
    I'm 5'3ish (height ranges from 5'2" to 5'4" depending on the day, but before I did a bunch of chiropractic work in the early 2000s, I was 5'2" ALL THE TIME.), and I've lifted heavy things as long as I can remember...
    a moment that sticks out in my mind is the first time they did a fitness test in school I found it pathetic that I couldn't do a pull-up at the age of 9 or 10... I was young and should be able to lift my own body weight once, right!? I willed myself to be able to do a pull-up at that age, and pretty much the only time that ability faltered was when I got pregnant... I was stupefied to find out (by being out in the world) that things I find "normal" to lift are considered "heavy" and "dangerous"... and that the average American can't do 1 pushup, nevermind 10 or 25, or...?

I find strength to be a VERY useful survival skill - I can pickup almost any person under about 230lbs... once you have them over your shoulder, it's more about balance than strength (though you do need SOME strength)... but I do look a little silly with a 6'1" 205lb footballer over my shoulder.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Before I came here I was trying to eat low calorie, low fat CW healthy and I was running 3-5 miles a day (and hoping to work up to being able to go 5-10 miles a day) and hiking on weekends. I was so hungry all the time I was miserable. And despite all that running I wasn't losing any weight. I really had nothing to lose to try a high fat low carb approach. Thank goodness it worked. At least to a point. I find myself lately trying to eat smaller portions, feeling a sense of failure if I consume "too much" fat, increasing my daily slow cardio (I added riding my bike to work because the weather has been so nice, and secretly hoping it will help me lose weight despite my better understanding), and yet no weight has moved at all, except upward. I really do not understand why it works that way, why it works so opposite of how you think it should.
    Running 3 - 5 miles a day I would assume you were in a jogging or medium intensity exercise mode. This burns fat. Walking or High intensity burns carbs.

Trying to keep it short... by exercising in the medium intensity zone the body is burning fat... this triggers the body to produce fat, so that it is stored to be burned. To lose weight you want to walk and either lift weights or do sprints, or any activity the gets the heart rate way up.

The other part is to eat enough protein to tell the body that food is plentiful and there is no need to store for famine. Target about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass.

Good luck

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456