Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are these people pulling my leg? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Unless a person weighs and measures every bite of food s/he puts in her/his mouth, I don't believe anything they say as to calories ingested. IMO, the whole "piece of salmon the size of a deck of cards," or the "piece of lean beef the size of the palm of your hand," is pure bull excrement. (My palm after all is most likely smaller than say, Magic Johnson's palm.)

If you got a chance to talk in real life to most of those people you'd find that they run 40 miles a week "sometimes," eat 1200 calories a day, "mostly." When you dig deeply, you find (in the words of an old dear friend) that everyone tries to "cheat the diet," and still get results.

Having once lost half my bodyweight in 15 months, this is just my opinion, and I have been told on occasion that I am full of excrement.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    This shit happens a lot. I suggested (on another forum) that everyone should take a look at changing to a less processed diet and inevitably this led to discussions surrounding Paleo. The forum moderator then went on to tell me that it was a fad (as classified by the NHS) and that they refused to discuss fads. He told me that my opinion wasn't helping anyone.

After a little searching back through his posts and weightloss counter (petty I know) I saw that he was 380lbs. And had been for the previous 2 years. I quizzed him about it and all he did was refer to some "issues" he had surrounding food. I went on to then suggest (in the original Paleo thread) that whether it was classed as a fad or not, it was probably better advice than listening to a guy that hadn't been successful at all in his approach to weightloss. They banned me.
    lol, people don't like what they can't understand. People can't understand how you can lose weight eating more fat. Because it's ingrained that bodyfat is caused by eating fat. Sounds like you're better off not being on that forum though. Hopefully some people noticed your posts before you got canned though.

I like the fact it's a fad as classified by the NHS, with bird flu the other year anyone who phoned up NHS Direct got diagnosed by someone with no medical qualifications running through a flow chart thing as having bird flu.

mle777 is offline Member
    There's a weight lifting dvd series that I like that came with a cd from the instructor. On it she was saying that she worked with a test group before creating the dvds. She used something (that I can't remember the name of now) that measures pretty accurately how many calories your body burns a day. One of the ladies in the test group was only eating about 900-1000 calories a day and still slowly gaining. It turns out that the lady was a cardio queen and had so little muscle that her metabolism was only burning 870 calories a day. She put the lady through her weight lifting program and by the end of the program, her metabolism was burning closer to 1600 calories a day. (I may be off a little on the numbers and the details)

So, based on hearing that, yeah I could believe that the women on that forum might still be gaining with that much exercise and that amount of calories. Sounds like they need to add in weights.

Women are so scared of weights. I see it a lot. I love my heavy weights. I'm 5'2" and weigh close between 129-132 lbs (which is close to the upper end for my weight range for my height), but I wear a size 4 and have a 26" waist. I wish more women would turn to weights instead of cardio when trying to lose weight/get smaller.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
    There's a weight lifting dvd series that I like that came with a cd from the instructor. On it she was saying that she worked with a test group before creating the dvds. She used something (that I can't remember the name of now) that measures pretty accurately how many calories your body burns a day. One of the ladies in the test group was only eating about 900-1000 calories a day and still slowly gaining. It turns out that the lady was a cardio queen and had so little muscle that her metabolism was only burning 870 calories a day. She put the lady through her weight lifting program and by the end of the program, her metabolism was burning closer to 1600 calories a day. (I may be off a little on the numbers and the details)
    *snip*
    This sounds interesting. What is the name of this series?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPiggy View Post
    Not pulling your leg. Been there, done that. It's terrible and leads to eating disorders too. You don't understand what you're doing wrong. You go into a cycle of even less eating, more excercise.
    These people are victims not assholes.
    True. I've seen it time and time again.

What you're doing isn't working, so you figure you just need to do it more. And if it STILL isn't working, you just need to do it even more. Obviously it's your fault, not the fault of the information you've been given.

It's just so sad.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

clint2 is offline Junior Member
    This is a what she said her typical day is, it is sad:

Pre-run: Whole wheat toast + 1 teaspoon jelly. Sometimes half a granola bar if I'm really famished.

Breakfast: 2 egg whites + toast and 1/2 tablespoon reduced fat cream cheese (cream cheese ends up being about 30 calories).

Morning Snack: Handful of Trail Mix (170 calories) and apple.

Lunch: Salad with some form of protein.

Afternoon Snack: Energy/protein bar

Dinner: 1 cup brown rice, 3 egg whites, 2 eggs, stir-fried veggies in PAM.

This has been my intake for the last few weeks. I am a creature of habit so this doesn't change very much. Sometimes, for dinner, I'll have chicken breast instead of eggs and breakfast might be oatmeal with fruit and flaxseed.

Quote Originally Posted by clint2 View Post
    This is a what she said her typical day is, it is sad:

Pre-run: Whole wheat toast + 1 teaspoon jelly. Sometimes half a granola bar if I'm really famished.

Breakfast: 2 egg whites + toast and 1/2 tablespoon reduced fat cream cheese (cream cheese ends up being about 30 calories).

Morning Snack: Handful of Trail Mix (170 calories) and apple.

Lunch: Salad with some form of protein.

Afternoon Snack: Energy/protein bar

Dinner: 1 cup brown rice, 3 egg whites, 2 eggs, stir-fried veggies in PAM.

This has been my intake for the last few weeks. I am a creature of habit so this doesn't change very much. Sometimes, for dinner, I'll have chicken breast instead of eggs and breakfast might be oatmeal with fruit and flaxseed.
    Okay, now I know what happened here.

The woman has no fat in her diet whatsoever for her brain to use, so she's hallucinating.

See? Simple!

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    That must be incredibly frustrating, if it is true. If only she tried ditching the grains for a week, she seems to have the self control.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Happens to me. When I switched to "healthy" eating by CW standards, my calories would drop - and I'd be hungry all the time. I would workout and then discover that I was gaining weight. Then I input my food into one of the calculators, to discover I was eating 900-1000 cal/day. I would eventually just give up on losing weight. Even eating Primal I have to be sure I'm eating enough or the weight loss stalls. It sounds so backwards, but I guess my body really clings to its fat if I'm not eating enough.

I know it sounds odd, but it's actually quite logical if you think about it - when you're not eating enough calories, and/or the calories you're eating are devoid of the nutrients you need, your body doesn't do anything well.

Overstress it with mass quantities of exercise and it goes into a kind of a protective mode where it hangs on to every last it of (protective) fat it can. When your body senses long term stress or chronic injury, it couldn't care less whether you look good in a bikini. It wants your brain to function and eveything else can go to hell in a handbasket.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast