Thread: Is It Okay to Sleep before Melatonin Release, or Optimal After? page

Benpercent is offline Junior Member

Question Is It Okay to Sleep before Melatonin Release, or Optimal After?

Primal Fuel
    Lately I've been sleeping horribly. While it may be for dietary reasons, I wonder about one thing: Could it be best for sleep to allow melatonin to build up in the system before attempting to go under?

I have an oil lamp that I usually read by before I go to bed to aid me in getting tired, but lately I've been going almost straight to bed after coming home from work (at a restaurant) -- sometimes late as 1 AM -- while I'm still pretty awake after all the activity and blue-light exposure.

Could it perhaps be more practical for me to stay up and read by the lamp to build up melatonin hormone, or does it make no difference?

-Benjamin

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I think it is a good idea whenever you have been in a high-stress, bright-lights environment before sleeping to take a little while to wind down, in a dimly lit quiet room. Reading by an oil lamp or candle is ideal for this, maybe half an hour to an hour, however long it takes you to feel calm and slow and your eyes start getting really heavy.

Of course, staying up until 2AM is not so great, but you do what you can. Make sure you have your windows well covered so you can sleep through the morning; you'll want to be sleeping until at least 10AM to make sure you are well rested. Good luck!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    I find that sitting up with my eyes open but in a totally dark room helps kickstart the sleep cycle. It doesn't have to be very long, maybe 10 or 20 minutes. It seems like the eyes really getting the message that, yes, it's dark now, works well. Instead of tossing around for a half hour, I spend fifteen minutes just sitting up in bed in winter or out on my balcony in summer then I'm out like the proverbial light.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Instead of tossing around for a half hour, I spend fifteen minutes just sitting up in bed in winter or out on my balcony in summer then I'm out like the proverbial light.
    I find that tossing off for a half hour is an excellent way to get sleepy at night, too...

Oh, wait, hehe. Never mind...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    a half hour

You're a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    You're a machine.
    Why hurry? I find most things in life are better at a relaxed pace.

My Primal Journal

Benpercent is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bah, sorry for the delayed response; I forgot to subscribe.

Anyhow, sound advice. I tried it out by wearing my orange glasses while watching some videos on my Kindle Fire in an otherwise dark room, and even though I did go to bed surprisingly late I slept well, woke at a decent hour, and functioned fine.

Thanks everyone.