Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Whole Foods Pretty Reliable as Far as Organic and Grass Fed Go? page

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member

Is Whole Foods Pretty Reliable as Far as Organic and Grass Fed Go?

Hello Primal Fam!

I have been doing readings on organic vs non-organic and grass vs grain fed livestock and the advantages of eating organic and grassfed foods.

I am still not sure I completely buy into the whole organic is better but I am definitely being swayed in favour of eating organic and at the least been blessed enough to afford experimenting with organic veggies and grassfed meats to see if it actually makes a different for weight loss, inflammation and mental benefits.

I am in my mid twenties so I am not that concerned about the effects of eating non organic on my health...definitely not concerned enough to spend money on whole foods that can sometimes be three or four times more expensive than my local grocery store.

So I guess my question is....is wholefoods organic and grassfed supply pretty reliable? Or are they certain arbitrary tests that is passed before their foods are labelled organic and/or grassfed without them actually being organic etc.
    In other words, if there is a little bit of disposable income would it be wise to spend it on whole foods organic and grassfed meats? or should I just continue my search for a less commercialized organic source?

Thanks Yall

Paleobird Guest
    WF is very reliable but you do pay for it.

Depending on where you are you may be able to find a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group. Some do produce, I have one that does just grass fed/finished beef and lamb. Much less expensive than WF if you have the freezer space to buy 8lbs/month at once.

Thanks Paleobird. I am in Ontario. Do I just google the name?

I don't mind paying if I can trust it! Maybe it would even make me eat less and I will try to spread it out as long as I can. lol

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Thanks Paleobird. I am in Ontario. Do I just google the name?

I don't mind paying if I can trust it! Maybe it would even make me eat less and I will try to spread it out as long as I can. lol
    Ontario, Canada or Ontario, California?

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I shop at whole foods often. They're pretty good about labeling their produce, so I always try to see whether it's coming from a local farm or not. I'd rather buy a sustainably grown local (but not organic) item than buy something organic from out of the country. It would certainly be better & possibly less expensive to sign up with a CSA.

Canada

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: What Now?

This was recently sent to me regarding wf..

I just found a CSA farm with a pick up location just 20KM from where I live. I am so excited considering I did not even know there was such a thing as CSA! *does happy dance* Will call them and see what they offer.....woohoo!

Paleobird Guest
    Canada
    Ah. If it was CA, I was going to suggest the one I use which does all of SoCal.

I just found a CSA farm with a pick up location just 20KM from where I live. I am so excited considering I did not even know there was such a thing as CSA! *does happy dance* Will call them and see what they offer.....woohoo!
    Yay! Doncha just adore this forum? I just learned about a coffee alternative from Dr. Bork that is basically ground up roasted cocoa beans and you learned about this here. I love it.

awm8604 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    They are pretty reliable, though beware of organic products from China. I have a hard time trusting those.

Also, try to find a local farm, look at eatwild.com. Cut out the middleman and you can save money and be more sure of the quality of the meat you're getting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast