Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf?

Shop Now
    I just had a talk with a Paleo doctor, and he told me that he recently read of a study with overweight people who were put on an exercise regime, and their metabolism slowed down. The conclusion of the study was that exercise can slow your metabolism. WTF??? How can that make sense? Surely the type of exercise is relevant?

Then I found this article, which says that no exercise increases your metabolism - Exercise not likely to rev up your metabolism - Health - Fitness - Smart Fitness - NBCNews.com

Anyone got any thoughts?

It all sounds stupid to me, just squat heavy

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    90% of your metabolism is AUTONOMIC

10% is voluntary.

interestingly no matter what you do, the ratio remains stable.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    If you read Gary Taubes book he says exercise is really good for you BUT it does not help obese people lose weight.
    I think it has been proven that exercise just makes overweight people eat more food. It made sense when I read it. In fact as he says they used to make obese folk have bed rest in the 30's to lose weight. I am sure he said There is no study that shows exercise helps the overweight lose weighty
    It's funny how everything you think you know can get turned on its head.

janeen is offline Senior Member
    I dunno. They exercise those biggest Loser folks half to death, and they drop incredible amounts of weight.
    Janeen

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    People are stupid.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by janeen View Post
    I dunno. They exercise those biggest Loser folks half to death, and they drop incredible amounts of weight.
    Right - but they are on incredible calorie restrictions - and basically moving from morning to night, doing little else.

Given how large most of them are, though, it is likely that most of the loss comes from the incredible amount of calorie restriction.

And, of course, many of them gain significant amounts of it back within a few years. Some don't, but many do.

After all, you can have a DVD of Bob or Jillian or Dolvett - but that's not the same as living on the Ranch!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    That's why you do sprints, tabatas, or other HIIT. Research that's come out since that study in 2009 shows that interval training is different from regular cardio.

ACSM | ACSM in the News
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    If one thinks about it, exercise(depending on the intensity) can fatigue muscles/deplete fat/glycogen stores and other resources. Though it may not be a conscious thing, people who tire themselves out exercising may expend less energy during the rest of the day when not exercising, or skip other activities because they're "too tired". The extent to which this occurs is probably dependent on the type, duration, and intensity of exercise. It's sort of the NEAT(non-exercise activity thermogenesis) theory taken in reverse - but it's the same idea.

Note: the above does not account for muscle mass - activities that increase muscle mass should produce an increase in overall metabolic rate, independent of the above

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If muscle is the most metabolically active component in our bodies, followed by organs and bones, followed by fat, then I think it would matter as to what type of exercise you do. If you increase your muscle mass, it stands to reason that you'll bump your metabolism a little. If the exercise you do only decreases fat, it won't affect your metabolism much because the fat wasn't very metabolically active to begin with.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast