Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf? page 5

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    I must concur. i rarely exercise anymore and nothing chronic. for instance last week i rode my mountain bike 12 miles and the next day gained 4 pounds. thank god it came off the day after but i had to IF
    I don't question you gained four lbs. But do you honestly think it was fat?

Let's not confuse fat with other body fluids and tissue.

Exercise does more by signalling the body what to store, than actually burning calories. Medium intensity exercise tells the body to store fat... because it burns fat.

That is where CW got it wrong. Jogging was encouraged because it burns fat, not carbs. What they got wrong is the by burning fat it signalled the body to reduce muscle mass and store fat so that there will be fat to burn and less mass to burn the fat.

There is no simple answer. You must exercise correctly and eat correctly to lose fat.

The bottom line is... diet is important from a calorie control and signalling point of view. Exercise is important from a signal point of view rather than burning calories

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Body by Science made a lot of sense to me. It helps that the writers believe in Paleo.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    I don't question you gained four lbs. But do you honestly think it was fat?

Let's not confuse fat with other body fluids and tissue.

Exercise does more by signalling the body what to store, than actually burning calories. Medium intensity exercise tells the body to store fat... because it burns fat.

That is where CW got it wrong. Jogging was encouraged because it burns fat, not carbs. What they got wrong is the by burning fat it signalled the body to reduce muscle mass and store fat so that there will be fat to burn and less mass to burn the fat.

There is no simple answer. You must exercise correctly and eat correctly to lose fat.

The bottom line is... diet is important from a calorie control and signalling point of view. Exercise is important from a signal point of view rather than burning calories
    I know it was water, however

storing excess water is called inflammation.
    chronic inflammation alters metabolic function negatively ( esp insulin response)
    Unchecked inflammation WILL cause increases in Adipose tissue activity and production.

for the skinny, who cares they probably have local inflammation that will subside in hours and so what

me, my body is so freakin used to inflammation that it just jumps at the chance to blow up

I can gain 30 pounds without changing one tape stat..... I can and have peed out 12 pounds in a hour after taking a cold bath.

I stay as far away from inflammation as possible these days... for me optimizing metabolic function is priority one. I never allow a single pound upward go unquestioned... more than 3 pounds and I take the only action i know how to take, IF.

0-3 pounds may be a blip, 3+ pounds required corrective action period stop whatever I was doing pronto
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Well, obviously you and I are very different in terms of response to many things, one of which is exercise.
    my broken is different from your broken. :-)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My metabolism is fortunately quite unbroken. It's my gi tract and lungs that are the main issue. The celiac thing is nicely addressed by paleo, and for me, regular exercise is a critical part of asthma management as well as helping me maintain weight.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Your broken is a broken I've never experienced or seen before. I assumed you were using IF to reduce fat. My apologies... just one of the problems of carrying on a conversation using a keyboard and trying to keep it short.

I look at as a 3 stage problem.

Stage 1. We abuse our bodies and we don't realize it. If we correct our ways by taking up proper diet and exercise it is great and we are fortunate to make such a choice.

Stage 2. Early signs of Beating up our bodies. Now we are prone to high blood pressure, higher blood sugars and other cronic inflammatory diseases, but if we make a choice we can still see a very good return to health with "text book diet and exercise".

Stage 3. We have done enough damage that we now have to experiment with different measures to get our own isolated "broken" ( I like that) under control or face serious consequences. This is probaby one of the worse conditions generally speaking because we now have engrained bad habits we are trying to correct and stay on the wagon so to speak.

alcachofa is offline Junior Member
    i agree with senior member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345