Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf? page 4

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    the muscles always looking larger after a workout because they are inflamed and swollen etc.

Women also have the problem that fat on the upper arm is one of the last places to disappear when losing weight and first to come back.

AussieNana is offline Member
    Back to the original question.

I know that when I'm in an inflammatory condition (ie an auto-immune flare) that I will not lose weight even when severely calorie restricted and even when on a perfect paleo diet. So in order to lose it I have to make sure I don't exercise too much. Each karate session raises my weight by about 500gr and even more if I overdo it. It makes losing weight very slow.

Overweight people are by definition in an inflammatory condition (have to be, my doc says, you need inflammation to put weight on around your gut). And by doing a lot of exercise they will be stressing their body further, raising cortisol levels and weight is difficult to lose with high cortisol.

So while exercise is great for all sorts of things, it isn't great for weight loss.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieNana View Post

I know that when I'm in an inflammatory condition (ie an auto-immune flare) that I will not lose weight even when severely calorie restricted and even when on a perfect paleo diet. So in order to lose it I have to make sure I don't exercise too much. Each karate session raises my weight by about 500gr and even more if I overdo it. It makes losing weight very slow.

Overweight people are by definition in an inflammatory condition (have to be, my doc says, you need inflammation to put weight on around your gut). And by doing a lot of exercise they will be stressing their body further, raising cortisol levels and weight is difficult to lose with high cortisol.

So while exercise is great for all sorts of things, it isn't great for weight loss.
    I must concur. i rarely exercise anymore and nothing chronic. for instance last week i rode my mountain bike 12 miles and the next day gained 4 pounds. thank god it came off the day after but i had to IF
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Owly is offline Senior Member
    And yet for me, being sedentary is a sure-fire way to start gaining. Activity level really makes a big difference for me in terms of fat loss.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    And yet for me, being sedentary is a sure-fire way to start gaining. Activity level really makes a big difference for me in terms of fat loss.
    Same here. If I don't exercise for a few days I lose water weight due the absence of functional inflammation to repair damage to muscles etc. This outweighs any gain in glycogen stores.

However, the net outcome of increased activity over time is always increased fat loss.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 08-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieNana View Post

Very interesting. I lost significant weight on a backpack trip this summer. Two weeks off work, 5 of them spent backpacking, so not all of my vacation was exercise. But anyway, the next two weeks after I wanted to try to keep the weight off so I rode my bike to work. One day I could tell I really was overdoing it, that I should have taken a day off. Nevertheless, I kept it up for two weeks, riding 3-4 days per week on top of my normal stuff. Phooey. My vacation weight came back.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I gain when i exert. huge overnight gains
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Me too - muscle and water.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

duplicate post

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Well, obviously you and I are very different in terms of response to many things, one of which is exercise.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast