Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Milk Ice Cream Tips? page

sarahac is offline Junior Member

Coconut Milk Ice Cream Tips?

Primal Fuel
    Hey All,

I just got a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my b-day and only have trial under my belt so far. I wasn't too happy with the way it turned out but there a few mistakes I've learned from. For those of you who are more experienced, I'd love some tips on how to make the consistency a little more richer.

-The first time I tried Trader Joes low fat coconut milk (wanted full fat but TJ did not have the guar gum in it like the brands at Whole Foods) and added some half and half. Should I change this to heavy cream instead?

-Any great chocolate ice cream recipes you like?

-Any other general tips or tricks you have found?

Thanks in advance!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Ice cream needs full fat products, unless you are making ices, sorbets and gelatos. If you are making coconut ice-cream, try using coconut cream in addition to coconut milk. I am going to try a coconut based recipe this weekend from the book I have and will let you know how it turns out.

So far our best ice-creams were berry ice-creams because that's where home-made ice-cream lkicks a serious BUTT! Natural flavor vs some crap.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to experiment with making coconut ice cream also. I have full fat canned coconut milk. Anyone ever try adding egg yokes to it - like real ice cream?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I made a batch of coconut milk ice cream that wasn't quite as creamy as I'd like, but it tasted good!

2 cans full-fat coconut milk
    1/3 cup honey
    3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon guar gum

Hubby gave this recipe a double thumbs-up, and he doesn't like coconut (it did taste a little coconutty).

ChocoTaco has an ice cream recipe with part cream, part kefir, part coconut milk that also includes unflavored gelatin, eggs and vodka (the alcohol is what keeps it from getting so hard and "fluffy" in the freezer). Do a search, you'll find it.

I want to stick to coconut milk because my hubby is lactose intolerant, so the next time I make this I'm going to try adding the gelatin and vodka. That will probably be in just a few days, hubby goes through a quart of this each week and I make it on Saturdays!

George is offline Junior Member
    I personally just take it and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with Simply Limeade, then pour the mixture in the plastic popscicle stick things from Walmart we have (makes 4). Call it a Lime Creamscicle. My 4-year old can't get enough of them.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Here's my base. It turns out really, really good each time. The cashew butter gives you the creaminess, so you can freeze it without it turning into an ice block, and the eggs give it a real creamy texture too. I used this one for chocolate ice cream, obviously, but it also works well as vanilla, vanilla honey cinnamon ice cream, blueberry ice cream, and chocolate chip. Needless to say, I make ice cream every weekend. I don't get too many 20% items, but this is definitely one of them (and peanut butter...sigh)

The Sedition of Sisyphus Blog Archive I interrupt this blog to bring you...Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (dairy free) - The Sedition of Sisyphus

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I lied. I tried ice-cream we made yesterday. It was creamy, but not sweet enough to go on its own. Was great and re-refreshing with the cake. Took longer than usual to thaw to scoop-able. Adding ~ 1/4 cup of sugar may fix both sweetness & immediate scoopability.

Original recipe was 2 cups of pureed mango, 14 oz coconut CREAM, 1/2 c milk and 1/2 c 18% cream.

Now, I have forgotten that coconut cream in their version had sugar added, and did 2 c of pureed exotic fruit (drained unsweetened pineapple (1 can), mango, banana with a touch of orange concentrated juice) with 14 oz coconut MILK (1 can) and 1 c 25% whipping cream and ~ 1 tsp of coconut extract.

The recipe is super-simple: puree fruit, strain if there is strings or seeds you do not want, mix with coconut and dairy liquids, throw in your ice-cream maker & freeze to manufacturer's instructions.

This is one ice-cream that did lose sweetness while being frozen. It tasted just fine before freezing. So you do want it a bit sweeter than you want the final product to be.

In its 'no sugar added' state it was a PERFECT accompaniment to the flourless chocolate cake.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    My tip: put 1-2 ounces of vodka into any ice cream recipe that isn't made from 100% full-fat cream. It reduces the chance for iciness.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

ennaejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    My tip: put 1-2 ounces of vodka into any ice cream recipe that isn't made from 100% full-fat cream. It reduces the chance for iciness.
    This is brilliant. Do you think whiskey would work just as well?

I make full fat frozen yogurt for the kids, and add in egg yolks, cultured cream, or nut butters for extra smooth/thick creamyness. It still freezes pretty hard though. I'll have to try the alcohol.... LOL don't call child services on me!

Oh! OP! Try adding coconut oil (melted, blending it SUPER WELL so you don't get chunks). I've made several raw dessert pies using lots of coconut oil, berries or banana to sweeten etc and the texture is always melt-in-your-mouth and you can eat it straight from the freezer. Actually I never thought of adding oil to ice cream til now. Hmmmm.... I bet it'd work

Now I'm hungry...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We use the Cuisinart, too!
    Two boxes Aroy-D coconut milk
    Three to four spoonfuls raw honey
    Cocao powder to taste
    Comes out perfectly creamy and fluffy every time. Nothing else needed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast