Thread: Undetermined length fast, questions.... page

alexkharden is offline Junior Member

Undetermined length fast, questions....

Primal Fuel
    Well, I guess it's actually one question. I am 29 hours into, what has become, an undetermined length fast. Originally planned to be 24 hours, I decided when I got to that point I decided to keep going. I just feel too good to stop. My question concerns conventional wisdom. My whole life I've been told that starving yourself (fasting), will cause your body to go into emergency mode, quit burning fat, and start burning muscle. This really doesn't seem to jive with what I've been reading about fasting and ketosis.

So could someone please set me straight on what the real deal on this topic is?

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    PKLOPP has 3 threads about fasting here. Search for them, lots of good info.

alexkharden is offline Junior Member
    First, thank you for pointing me toward those postings by PKLOPP. That was a ton of excellent information!

So, I've never been much of a toe dipper - I'm more of a plunger. I like to dive right into things. That's how I began my fast wednesday morning. After reading PK's posts, I ended it this morning at the 48 hour mark. I had two eggs scrambled with onion and in ghee, with some coconut oil poured on them after they were done cooking, a yogurt, and a packet of sardines. I was literally stuffed after that - when only two months ago that would have been a snack for me! I actually had to force myself to eat, I just wasn't hungry! I dropped 6 pounds during the fast (with as much as I was peeing I assume mostly water weight) and i felt great actually almost the whole time. The last 12 hours or so I had an upset stomach, but i wasn't actually sick. I think (maybe) my body was just flushing some nastiness out of it. I actually had more energy during the fast than I did today eating food , it was really weird. I'm definitely going to make this a weekly part of my routine!

I'm not quite sure what people mean when they talk about 16/8 or 19/5 fasts, so if anyone wants to share info about that that would be awesome.

I don't know - no real questions I guess - I just wanted to share my experience with fasting.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkharden View Post
    I'm not quite sure what people mean when they talk about 16/8 or 19/5 fasts, so if anyone wants to share info about that that would be awesome.
    Oh wow, you did fantastic!!! the 16/8 and 19/5 represent hours fasted to hours of eating (window). Not eating straight for 8 hours but from your first meal to your last
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    PKLOPP has 3 threads about fasting here. Search for them, lots of good info.
    I agree. PK really knows his stuff. He also has a great blog Cogitoergoedo.com (I think, therefor I eat). There is a lot more info there.