Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Will Run For Bacon" - MissJecka's Journal page 8

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    The problem for me with Enjoy Life chocolate chips is I can't portion them out. I eat 1/2 a bag at once if they're not baked into something!
    Uh, yes, me too! I buy a six-pack of the bags on Amazon. When it arrives, if I don't put them in the basement immediately, I will just chow down on them like there's no tomorrow. I was never a huge chocolate fan - in fact, I hated chocolate until I started read PB and changing my dietary ways - but for some reason, I do struggle with controlling myself around the Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

I do bake them into things, but whatever's leftover in the bag ends up disappearing... somehow... I still have four bags, but they're in the basement and I promised myself that I'm not touching them until I have a reason to bake with them.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

My health is slowly coming back; I'd say I was about 95% until my nephew's bar mitzvah on Saturday, at which point all of the talking and laughing made me turn into a coughing machine that night, haha. Now I'm probably about 90% back to health.

An amusing thing happened this morning at Starbucks. I'm out of eggs and bacon at the moment, so I went to Starbucks to get a chai tea latte. I ordered it to be made with full-fat cream, and the look on the barista's face was absolutely hilarious.

Her: "Uh, cream?"
    Me: "Yeah."
    Her: "Do you mean whole milk?"
    Me: "No... cream. Heavy cream, light cream, whatever cream you have."
    Her: *looks at the guy who makes the drinks*
    Guy: *shrugs*
    Her: "Okay."

I also grabbed an over-priced "bistro box" that had a hard boiled egg, cheese, apple slices, grapes, a biscuit thing (which I threw out), and a small packet of peanut butter (which I gave to a coworker). I'm totally stuffed and feel more awake on this post-daylight-savings-time Monday morning than I expected to feel!

Anyway, not much to report other than my improved health... which means that I will be back at the gym swimming tonight, I hope!

B - Chai tea latte w/cream, hard-boiled egg, cheese, apple.
    L - Leftover Indian food (saag paneer on basmati rice).
    Snack - If I really want one, it'll be pistachios.
    D - I plan on picking up eggs on the way home and making a frittata.
    Fitness - Hopefully a swim!

In one week, I'll be on a plane to China. As mentioned a few posts ago, I'm pretty anxious about what I will do food-wise there. Fitness is easy, as I'm on my feet a lot more than I am when in the US office; plus, the hotel gym is nice and I was always the only one in the pool in the mornings, so I'd have the whole place to myself to do laps!

The food, however, is awful; I've always hated Chinese take-out, but the food in China, although more authentic and fresh, is still gross to me. Really bad cuts of meat (very grissly and gummy... I'm almost gagging just thinking about it!), you know the animals probably lived off of garbage, the produce is questionable, and many things are soy-based. Luckily breakfast is something I can control, as we eat buffet in the hotel and the omelet chef knows how to cook a perfectly over-easy egg! They also have bacon, sausage, rice noodle dishes, cheese, tea, and fresh fruit, among other things. I just need to remember to eat like a king during breakfast and sneak out some fruit (and maybe cheese?) to nosh on at the office if they dare order KFC or Subway (I shit you not) for lunch... because apparently the stigma of "Americans only eat fast food" exists. I should probably pack some ziplock bags and/or tupperware this trip...

Swimming on Monday went okay, except I had eaten a bit too much Indian food for dinner and felt myself getting a bad stomach ache after only 300 or so meters. This being my first workout in two weeks made it even harder as well. So, we stopped after about 20 minutes and called it a night. Last night I meant to go for a run, but I had to work late and it was a downpour by the time I got home. Ugh. Tough Mudder in 2 and a half months? Crap.

Yesterday...

B - Chai tea latte (made with cream), Kind Bar
    L - 1/4 rotisserie chicken (dark meat only), butternut squash puree, 1/2 dark chocolate bar (whoops...)
    Snack - Almonds, double espresso w/almond milk
    D - Salmon/avocado/cucumber hand roll with wasabi and coconut aminos, dates stuffed with almond butter and cinnamon, whipped coconut cream
    Fitness - About 5 minutes of various planks before bed

The plan for today...

B - Chai tea latte (made with cream), Kind Bar (I really really need to buy some eggs!!)
    L - Thai food with a friend
    Snack - Espresso, almonds
    D - If all goes as planned... center-cut pork chops with steamed veggies, topped with horseradish-herb butter
    Fitness - Swim (maybe 1000m??)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aargh all that stuff you mentioned about Chinese food and where the meat must come from etc is just the kind of thing I've been trying not to think about!
    You must notice a bg difference in the variety and quality of food that's available when going between the US and China. I've been living in China ever since I found about about eating Primal so it's all I've got to work with, and I'm only just getting started so I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed with the details.
    I just searched for mentions of China and didn't come up with that much under the tags, there must be a good few people who are also here though, right?
    How long do you stay in China each time?

EDIT I've just gone back a bit and seen what you wrote about going to China this time... from my experience so far the hardest thing to deal with is the food being out of your control like you mention- the things that get put in front of you and forced on you are most likely not primal! So are you saying that last time you went to China you weren't fully Primal and this time you will be?
    Last edited by ChinaChocaholic; 06-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678