Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "Will Run For Bacon" - MissJecka's Journal page 6

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I'm so glad Panera has that hidden menu. It has become a viable restaurant option for me and Hulky again.

Have fun swimming! I'm jealous. I can't stand being in indoors pools (way over-chlorinated).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Regarding the mousse, coconut cream works well but leaves it a little chunky. When you made it did you refrigerate the can over night?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal Betty View Post
    Regarding the mousse, coconut cream works well but leaves it a little chunky. When you made it did you refrigerate the can over night?
    Yup, I always keep at least one can in the fridge so the cream gets really separated from the water so I can make mousse or pudding as a quick snack. This can just didn't work out, unfortunately. There was maybe 1/2 inch of cream and the rest of the can was cloudy coconut water. In the past I've had cans that were like 2/3 cream and 1/3 water, which was awesome for making mousse!!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Swimming yesterday was interesting. Almost Twlight Zone interesting.

The past few times my boyfriend and I have gone to swim laps at our YMCA, it's been packed. (Come on, people! Give up on your New Years resolutions already! Geez!) We usually swim in rounds/circles because there will be at least 3 people per lane. For me, I struggle because I am much slower than most of the other folks in my lane. I'm competitive and hate being the worst at something, so I push myself so hard that I get nauseous or cramped up, and as a result I have to get out of the pool to let the other swimmers in my lane lap me once (or twice...). It's awful!

Well, yesterday there were two others in my lane, yet again, but this time they were both at my pace! It was great, and eerie, knowing I didn't have to push myself past my limit. Despite this, I only did 550m (I'd planned on doing 1000m). My boyfriend got out after only a few laps because he was frustrated at the other two in his lane going far slower than him. There were also some weirdos in the pool - a little kid who was just bobbing up and down the length of the pool, back and forth, kinda-sorta-maybe doing laps, I guess. Another guy in the same lane was yelping and grunting VERY loudly every time he turned at the end of the lane. It was just a mess, so the boyfriend and I cut our swim short, hung out the hot tub, then left in time to catch Modern Family.

This morning was interesting as well... not in a good way, though! I forgot to boil eggs last night for breakfast so I brought almond milk and one scoop of protein powder in a baggie with me to work to make a quick shake to go with my half an avocado and raw cheese. Well, I knocked over my shaker before I screwed the lid on, and all of the powder and most of the almond milk flew alllllll over the floor of my office's cafeteria. Luckily I was in early today and nobody was there when it happened or during the 10 minutes I spent cleaning up my mess. Ugh. I had to have half of an emergency snack I keep in my desk (a "Raw Pumpkin Seed Bar") along with my avocado (which wasn't completely ripe ) and cheese. Luckily the strangeness of my day ended after that.

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day, so tonight is any other night. Food, fitness, and TV!

B - Raw gouda cheese, avocado, pumpkin seed bar, coffee.
    L - Chai tea with some almond milk mixed in, leftover rotisserie chicken, baby carrots, two squares of dark chocolate.
    Snack 1 - Two more squares of dark chocolate (whoops!), more coffee (this happens on days I come to work early... yawn!), a couple of slices of pepperoni, a few slices of not-raw cheese.
    D - I plan on making a medium-rare burger and topping it with an over-easy fried egg and bacon, atop a bed of baby spinach.
    Snack 2 (if I'm hungry) - Home-made peach/plum sherbet topped with a drizzle of honey and some coconut chips.

My vegan friends told me last night's dinner (two 4-oz grass-fed burger patties topped with two eggs and two slices of bacon, atop 2 cups of baby spinach) was "a triple-killer" and "the unhealthiest diet ever". I call it delicious.

I had a really fantastic day at work and wanted to celebrate with a good dinner. Even though I overcooked my burgers by about a minute and a half, it was still so moist and delicious! I was so full that I didn't have the desire to eat dessert, which is very rare for me. I drank a 32oz bottle of seltzer, did yoga before bed, and slept well!

On Saturday I have my rescheduled Spin-A-Thon at the YMCA where I will be spinning (indoor cycling) for 3 hours for charity. Apparently I will be burning anywhere from 1800 to 2600 Calories during this time, depending on how intense the "ride" is. I will definitely need a carb refuel after that, so maybe some full-fat, local ice cream will be in store... we'll see!

Anyway, today...

B - Smoothie! 1/2 avocado, scoop of chocolate protein powder, coconut water leftover from a can of coconut milk, 1.5 cups of spinach, unsweetened almond milk, and 1/4 cup of frozen berries.
    L - Going out for Chinese with coworkers, and I plan on getting pork egg foo young.
    D - Home-made chicken stir-fry.

Fitness - 1000m swim (hopefully, if it's not too crowded this time!)

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    That looks AMAZING! Totally jealous.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That looks AMAZING! Totally jealous.
    Yeah, I just think my vegan friends were jealous that their seitan "burgers" and powdered egg substitute doesn't taste as good. (And, believe me, it doesn't! I'd always hated seitan even in my most hard-core vegan days!)

Hello!

This weekend I was a bad, bad girl. I started off well with completing my 3-hour Spin-A-Thon though. I felt pretty badass because the only folks who did the whole three hours besides me were three dudes! I hate the term "girl power", but I feel that it's appropriate due to my extreme badassery! I loved at every hour when the instructors would ask, "Who's doing the whole three hours!?" and I'd raise my hand, I'd hear other folks say, "Holy crap, I'd DIE if I had to ride for three hours!" I don't gloat much, but I feel the need to. I'm awesome! And, I wasn't sore the next day! We went to the movies that night and I was an angel, bringing beef jerky as my movie snack.

Sunday we went to Costco and I bought a crazy amount of Kerrygold butter because it was in abundance. I needed it to bake some Primal/Paleo cookies for a party. I also baked some non-Primal PB&J cupcakes which were requested by the host (to whom I owed a favor). I thought I was going to be a good girl, especially after tossing away the bun from my hot dog at Costco that morning (I guess it was a "brunch")...

...but I ate two black-and-white cookies, one oatmeal cookie, a few handfulls of x-brand cheese balls, lots and lots of buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips, and half a buffalo chicken strip. At least I didn't drink beer, right? Right? Please tell me I'm right.

Oh, well.

Monday I had off for President's Day but the boyfriend didn't, so I took the time home alone and was a good girl - I was productive! I had to take my car to get serviced so I had to take the subway home and walk the mile from the subway stop, so I got a nice walk through the freezing wind. I did lots of household chores and cooked delicious foods for myself throughout the day. Strangely enough, though, I decided I didn't want to cook dinner so we ordered some Indian delivery after I picked up my car from the shop.

The sodium-laden food, although delicious, may have been the cause for my slight weight-gain I discovered this morning during my weigh-in for the office "Biggest Loser" competition. It was a nice compliment when the scale-keeper said, "You don't need to lose weight anyway!" In my head I told myself, "I agree!"

I decided on Sunday to stop tracking my Calories and macronutrients because I was starting to get obsessed just like I did when I used to be a psychotic Calorie-counter back in my CW weight-loss days. Instead I'm just going to track my body fat percentage change over time (check out my updated signature) and do the basics: eat clean, wholesome foods that have ingredients I can pronounce...

...except for the once-in-a-blue-moon "treats", of course!

Anywho, here's how today has gone down so far:

B - Two primal banana pancakes, coffee.
    L - Green veggie juice, leftover Indian food, leftover Primal cookies, seltzer.
    Snack - Pistachios.
    D - I will be going out with friends, so I plan on having a bun-less cheeseburger and maybe a cider!

Fitness - Lower body bodyweight exercises, probably 20 minutes.

Yesterday, I ate something that I made using a non-recipe... and it was great! Banana bread with maple-cinnamon frosting. I tried to get a recipe down in my blog so I can replicate it in the future! Booya.

Fitness-wise, I've been sucking lately. All week, I haven't done anything besides 20 minutes of yoga and a half hour on my stationary bike while watching TV. This needs to change.

On the brighter side of things, I had my follow-up with my doctor yesterday afternoon to go over my blood panel results. Though he's a new doctor for me (as I just moved here about 9 months ago) and only has one old blood panel to go off of that's over two years old, he was impressed with how my results looked. My total cholesterol, though still "high" at 213, is the lowest it's ever been in my life; my doc told me that because of that, and because of how good my HDL and Trigycerides are, that there's really no need to be concerned. Even my LDLs are a tad high, but he said he's not worried at all.

All of my previous doctors have always instilled fear in myself and my family, which is why I was raised on fat-free milk, Slim-Fast shakes, Snackwells cookies, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!, and Egg Beaters egg substitute. I've always had high cholesterol and I was always a normal weight (until age 16 or so, that is) and doctors always told me that I'd have to end up on Lipitor when I'm older.

This doctor, on the other hand, told me that he believes firmly in the more updated "healthy" ranges for Cholesterol. He said that under 200 is what is recommended, but with my other numbers being so good, being at 213 is great. My LDL is at 42 and although most doctors will say that it must be under 40, he believes that under 60 is good and that if I do get it under 40, that's great but not to stress out about it. With my Triglycerides and HDL so fantastic, it offsets the "danger" that other doctors would say I'm putting myself in.

He also said, "Whatever you've changed in your diet, keep doing it."

So... MOAR BACON!

Anyway, here's yesterday and the plan for today:

Yesterday...
    B - Smoothie made with coconut milk, banana, avocado, spinach, protein powder and ice. Coffee, too, of course.
    L - Leftover saag paneer and basmati.
    Snack - Banana bread!
    D - Out with coworkers, I snacked on some shrimp cocktail and ahi tuna and one glass of red wine. When I got home I was still hungry, so I had a fried egg and 2 pieces of bacon atop a huge bed of wilted spinach, and some raw cheese on the side.
    Fitness - Stationary bike, 30 minutes.

Today...
    B - Paleo banana pancakes with almond butter, sliced banana, coconut chips and raw cheese on the side. Coffee.
    L - Can of tuna, baby carrots, and banana bread.
    Snack - If I want something, I'll probably have some pistachios. We'll see.
    D - I have some spicy italian sausages in the fridge, so I'll probably cook those up and have them with dirty rice and a spinach salad.
    Fitness - Yoga for a half hour!

The last time I went on a business trip to China was just over a month ago and I was still in my maybe-50%-Primal ways, after taking a step back from my formerly-90%-Primal days from July-November 2012. Now that I'm back on the bandwagon, I'm a bit... I don't know... concerned?... about my upcoming trip to China next month.

Last time I was there for 2 weeks; this time it will be nearly 3. Last time it was easy to eat whatever I wanted because I didn't care if there was soy, wheat, or other crap ingredients in my food. I do not like Chinese food in general, so most of the lunches we had ordered into the office were Papa John's pizza, KFC, or Subway - all of which were more disgusting than any of their US equivalents. Ugh.

I'm not a picky eater; in fact, as sad as this may sound, even if what's in front of me is gross, I will find a way to eat it. My parents say that it's in my father's genes that I will never go hungry regardless of the situation I'm in. It's funny, and a bit sad, but true.

However, this time around, I obviously have my work cut out for me. I'm pretty much around 90-95% Primal at the moment with my dietary choices, but I have a hunch that one of two things will need to happen on my China trip...

1) I will have to make my own shelf-stable meals and bring them with me to China. I only really have to worry about lunch, because we get really good, free breakfast in our hotel - they cook fresh eggs, there are lots of meats and fish, and abundant veggies and fruit to choose from. Dinner is good, too, as I can order whatever I want. Lunch is when the office orders stuff that they think us westerners will want... which, again, is usually disgusting fast food.

2) I will end up going back to about 50-60% Primal due to lack of options, and the fact that eating what I'm served means I get to eat for free. Doing option #1 means I have to pay for my meals. I know I sound like a mooch... but how do I say no to free food??!!

I still have a few weeks before I go, but any opinions would be great to hear.

Anywho, here's today...

B - Smoothie: chocolate whey protein powder, frozen berries, almond milk, water, spinach. Coffee.
    L - Mashed sweet potato with butter, GF italian sausage.
    Snack - Home-made chocolate-banana "lara bar". Maybe some seltzer.
    D - I'm going out with the boy and some friends of ours for a game night at a bar. I'll probably eat before we go and if I'm hungry there, I'll nosh on some wings... and wine... or cider...
    Fitness - Nothing formal, maybe push-ups. Tomorrow we swim laps.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast