Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Will Run For Bacon" - MissJecka's Journal page 4

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Dude, awesome! Pretty nice write-up too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    [existential rant]

I'm kind of in a rut lately.

As I take my probiotic capsules at night and my oregano/peppermint supplements during the day, I can't help but think the following to myself:

Before I began living a primal/paleo/whatever lifestyle, I never had to take supplements. I never had GI, poo, tummy, or digestion issues (except for a couple of weeks earlier this year). I never spent truck-loads of money buying a little bag of almond flour or vitamins. But now I am.

I've always believed "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", yet I haven't done that lately. Three months ago, I wasn't overweight. I wasn't unfit. I wasn't sick - no diabetes, allergies, flu, high blood pressure... nothing. I didn't feel sick after eating diary, sugar, or corn products. In fact, my only ailment (if you call it that) was bloating after meals (any meal, regardless of what was in it), which will supposedly be fixed as I continue with the peppermint/oregano supplement. My cholesterol is (was?) high my whole life, but my last 3 cholesterol panels show that my ratios are perfect, and my tri level is "ideal", as is my HDL; it's only my LDL that is "borderline" and from all of my reading on the subject, I feel that it isn't just about the amount of LDLs but the size of them.

I think the reason for me joining the primal/paleo community and lifestyle was to find answers to problems that I don't have. Sure, I want to get stronger, but I think my main problem is not lifting heavy things on a regular basis and doing too much endurance anaerobic cardio.

I do believe in the fundamentals of the PB, especially:
    - the existence of chronic cardio
    - the fact that modern wheat is garbage
    - the fact that pre-packaged "food" is garbage
    - the fact that modern society (not just Americans) are not eating as well or are being as mobile as we should be for optimum health
    - the fact that we don't need to be scared of eating fats or cholesterol regularly

I'm not denouncing primal living. Not at all. Again, the fundamentals are sound. I just have always, always hated the idea of a diet regime. Everybody is different and thus have different dietary needs. I consider myself lucky to not have celiac, food allergies, hypertension, or fibromyalgia; and, because I don't have these issues, I don't see the need for me to be so strict with what I eat.

I'm not broken. I don't need fixing.

I still plan on abstaining from wheat products, with the exception of fermented grains on very rare occasions. I don't want to freak out because the pre-marinated pork tenderloin I made last night had bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in the coating. I plan on eating a bite or two of challah with apples and honey on Rosh Hashanah. (Hell, I may even bake a loaf myself!) If I feel like it, I will eat french fries topped with cheese and bacon when I watch football with friends this season. I'm going to eat sushi with rice once in a while. I'm not going to bother worrying if there is some kind of wheat by-product in the barbecue sauce at our local bbq joint. If the occasion calls for it, I'm even going to eat ice cream - maybe the stuff made from cream, maybe the hippie coconut-milk stuff from the small vegan shop down the street... who knows!

You know why? Because my body doesn't rebel nor do I feel like shit after eating these things.

And guess what else I will do! I will still say "no" to the neon-pink-frosted cupcakes sitting on a table in my office's kitchen right now. I will snack on pistachios instead of cheetos. I will only eat when I'm hungry, instead of force-feeding myself at 7am just because some General Mills-funded researcher said I should. I will use wasabi instead of soy sauce on my sushi. I will eat fat and protein, tons of leafy greens, sweet potatoes, squashes, fruits and berries as my main source of carbohydrates, and naturally-sweetened desserts on occasion. I will re-subscribe to my CSA next year so I can continue to support local organic farming. I'll keep cooking new recipes and coming up with my own, made from real ingredients. I will go for short runs a couple of times a week, ride my bike with my boyfriend on the weekends, and do some strength-training so that someday I can do a freaking pull-up.

You know why? Because I enjoy these things, and always have (even before beginning this primal adventure).

I feel like I'm outing myself here, but am I really doing anything wrong? Some vegan friends of mine would condemn other vegans for eating white sugar, buying lip gloss that has honey in it, or for dating an omnivore... because they were not "vegan enough" or not "true vegans". What the hell does that mean? Labels are for clothes, not dietary choices.

If a non-primal person asks why I'm not getting a pasta dish at an Italian restaurant, I'll say I just prefer meat over wheat, not "I'm primal". If a primal person asks why I'm eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, I'll say it's because it makes me feel good, not "I'm not primal".

I should have to search for excuses for what I choose to eat, which is what I've been feeling I've been doing lately. I'm done with the labels. Done done done.

[/existential rant]

So, how are you guys doing?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a healthy decision for you. Glad Primal had a positive influence for you either way! As a two-year Grokker, it still astounds me when I hear people have trouble with it. But everybody is different. Hope to see you around!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    [existential rant]
    I feel like I'm outing myself here, but am I really doing anything wrong? Some vegan friends of mine would condemn other vegans for eating white sugar, buying lip gloss that has honey in it, or for dating an omnivore... because they were not "vegan enough" or not "true vegans". What the hell does that mean? Labels are for clothes, not dietary choices.

If a non-primal person asks why I'm not getting a pasta dish at an Italian restaurant, I'll say I just prefer meat over wheat, not "I'm primal". If a primal person asks why I'm eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, I'll say it's because it makes me feel good, not "I'm not primal".

I should have to search for excuses for what I choose to eat, which is what I've been feeling I've been doing lately. I'm done with the labels. Done done done.

[/existential rant]

So, how are you guys doing?
    Hear, hear! A good rant, IMO. In discussion, it's quicker to tell people "what diet" I follow, but in longer discussions, I take the time to explain what I eat and what I don't, and why. If "listen to your body" is what you take from your time calling yourself "Primal", that is a very good thing! Most of my issues (candida, mostly) did not arise until after I went Primal, or didn't really seem obvious, anyway. I just had some heartburn and a bit of fat/bloat I wanted to lose. I don't think it's "Primal's fault" that this happened to me, but changing how much fiber and starches I eat definitely messed with my gut. I think I moved too fast, in some ways, and my gut just could not handle it. Maybe it was already damaged, but didn't functionally seem that way until I changed things.

I like the "just eat real food" movement best out of all natural-food/primal/paleo off-shoots.

I'm relieved to see that the few folks who check out my journal aren't grabbing their pitchforks to chase me out of the MDA community!

Anyway...

Monday:
    B - leftover pork tenderloin, broccoli, baba ganoush, baby carrots
    D - beef stew, 2-minute coconut "bread", coconut butter/almond butter/soy-free dairy-free chocolate chips in which I dunked half an apple, primal "egg cream" (I'll explain below.)

Yesterday:
    B (I actually had breakfast because I was hungry!) - 2 eggs, corned beef hash, coffee
    L - leftover beef stew
    D - leftover pork tenderloin, 1/4 Florida avocado, baba ganoush, same coconut butter/almond butter/apple/etc. combo above, and the "egg cream" again.

So, this "egg cream". I featured it in my blog a while ago, but here's the abridged explanation:

I love egg creams, but being made with sugary syrup and half-and-half makes it not too great for you. So, I make my own!

1) Fill a pint glass halfway with ice.
    2) Add a couple of spoonfuls of canned coconut milk.
    3) Add a few drops of vanilla extract.
    4) Pour seltzer water over top.
    5) Gently stir with a spoon.
    6) Enjoy!

Tastes like a delicious creamy soda-like drink. I haven't been a soda fan in nearly 8 years, but I think this could be a great soda alternative for folks who have a hard time giving that crap up. Using different extracts like peppermint or orange (or adding your own home-made fruit syrups) will obviously change it up a bit.

When I finish it there is usually some ice leftover, so I just add more seltzer and keep drinking.

Cool recipe! I've never been a fan of "cream soda" kinds of drinks, way too sweet, but this sounds pretty tasty. In reading the wikipedia page, I see some drinks that include actual eggs. I found that using eggs in my smoothies make it pretty foamy, so you could probably make them with eggs for a protein drink, but you'd want good quality eggs for that (since they'd be raw).

Yesterday...

B: beef stew, avocado, baba ganoush, peach
    D: Indian!!! Chicken saag, basmati rice (uh, 20%, right?), beer (uh...)
    Some more 20%: Two scoops of awesome local ice cream.

Word on the street is that I'm going to be buying something this weekend I haven't purchased in nearly four months: flour. White flour, to boot! Rosh Hashanah is Sunday night and I plan to bake a loaf or two of real, yeasty, sweet challah for myself, my boyfriend, and my coworkers. Shock! But, I think I'll survive. The Jewish New Year only comes once a year!

And now I await the onslaught of hate...

Toasted challah with butter & jelly (or jam) on top was always a favorite breakfast of mine. Not sure how I survived on it now, since it would leave me pretty hungry. No hatin' here! Enjoy!

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Word on the street is that I'm going to be buying something this weekend I haven't purchased in nearly four months: flour. White flour, to boot!
    No hating here either.

I baked a wedding cake for friends over the summer. With the tasting/test cakes plus the full deal I think I bought upwards of 7-8 lbs of white cake flour, and about 10 lbs of white sugar. But, it was their wedding cake, how could I not? You just have to do these sorts of things sometimes. (in retrospect, that whole procedure probably had a lot to do with my weight loss stall over the summer)

Maybe it's my experience with my old diet habits (SAD, vegetarianism, veganism...) and the judgmental folks in those groups that makes me scared of hatred for making a non-"diet"-friendly choice. Thanks for not forcing me out of MDA!

Yesterday...

B: Leftover Indian food, peach, avocado, coffee.
    Snack: rolled up sliced turkey breast
    D: "Cream soda" recipe, chicken sausages, garlic kraut, avocado, coconut butter.

I decided yesterday, after reading a thread about someone's old eating habits, to go back in time and see how I used to eat in a couple of different points in my life. You can see them here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post952249

I created an account on Livestrong.com to do the one from 2008, but I also decided to plug in the food I've been eating in a normal day... and I'm eating way too little! Two days ago I only ate 1100 Calories and although my carbs were less than 100g and my protein was nice and high, my fat was crazy low! I swear I've been eating a crap-ton of coconut milk, coconut butter, and avocado lately! I'm surprised! Obviously I need to add some more "meat" to my diet... maybe in the form of meat! Or...

MOAR COCONUT!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast