Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Will Run For Bacon" - MissJecka's Journal page 3

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If it isn't the coconut, it might be the nightshades--looks like you like the eggplant and peppers. Some people (like my mom) don't tolerate them well, and there was a thread about them here someplace.

I was having some joint pain and had been having a lot of salsa and tomatoes (out of the garden!), and thought that might be it. In the end I think the joint pain was a symptom of a cold I was coming down with, not the nightshades (hope so, since I do love the salsa...). Anyway, good luck with your GI!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Whew! Long weekend is over, which is sad, but I had a blast camping and finishing my 21-Day Sugar Detox!

I don't want to go through what I ate for each meal, but with all of the activities we did camping for 2 nights, we earned every last hot dog, sausage, and marshmallow! Speaking of which...

Yes, I had marshmallows. For shame! Nah, not really. I bought locally-made marshmallows that have nothing but simple ingredients: cane sugar, gelatin, real vanilla. Booya. I had four the first night and seven the second night... roasted over an open fire... and I savored every ooey gooey second! To balance things out, I did roast eggplant and peppers, so nutrition was still on my mind!

The boy and I hiked for about 5 hilly, hilly miles, dodging mosquitos and spider webs through the deep woods and riverbed. We tried to go mountain biking, but it began to rain soonafter we left our camp and it was way too slick for us to tackle the rocky hills safely. Unfortunately, pushing our bikes back took about 35 minutes... in the pouring rain... and it was hilly, wet, rocky, and slippery. Our legs were KILLING us afterwards! As I already said, we definitely deserved our meals!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Oh hey, you did the 21DSD. Did you buy the book? I'm looking for any way to keep sugar out of my life at this point. I just keep going back to it, and it always messes me up.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Oh hey, you did the 21DSD. Did you buy the book? I'm looking for any way to keep sugar out of my life at this point. I just keep going back to it, and it always messes me up.
    Yep, and I did purchase the program/e-book. Check out my blog ([blank] this | eat, bake, knit, try, DO!) after 12pm Eastern for my final review of the program, chock full of my experiences. You can also find my first and second week updates there, too.

In a nutshell: I'll never do it again, as I saw more annoyances and pain than benefits. In fact, I saw no benefits from it at all. But, I may just have a squeaky clean system that can handle sugar more than those who have had life-altering improvements as a result of the detox. Hopefully you'll be one of them! Give it a try.

Yesterday...

B: Smoothie (coconut milk, 1/2 banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, ice, water)
    L: Thai (coconut chicken soup... which has some much cooler name in Thai... plus some kind of yummy beef/peppers/onions dish)
    D: Rice-less sushi + ice cream for a snack

Exercise: none, unless you consider winding down on the sofa watching Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen as "exercise".

Last night I saw a Naturopathic Doctor (ND) for the first time. She had me fill out a health history questionnarie thing last week and to keep a food diary for the past 6 days. After going through everything, she said that I am "basically a poster child for how to maintain weight-loss", regarding how in the past 2 years I've basically maintained my 35-ish pound weight-loss, give or take 5 pounds. She was really curious about the 21-Day Sugar Detox, so I told her more about it. She said based on the GI/bowel/etc. discomfort I had nearly throughout it, that I have something called dysbiosis.

She said that my health and physique are great (my jiggly thighs don't believe the latter at all, but thanks, doc!) but this dysbiosis is affecting my small intestine and is putting me borderline to IBS. She said that by cutting out the sugar during my detox, I was definitely starving the harmful bacteria... which is good... but what isn't good is that I wasn't feeding the good bacteria that should replace the bad. (And when I reintroduced fruit after the detox, my tummy/GI issues completely reversed back to normal. The ND said that this was because the dying/dead bacteria were like, "YES! YOU'RE FEEDING US AGAIN!" and stopped reeking havoc.)

She said that although my heritages are not prone to gluten/wheat intolerance or food allergies in general (yay for being Russan and Puerto Rican... I guess...!) there is one thing that has made me susceptible to dysbiosis: the fact that I had strep throat, sinusitis, tonsillitis, and ear infections multiple times a year for the first 18 years of my life or so. Apparently because I took steroidal medication nearly on a bi-monthly basis because of these ailments, I was pretty much destined to get dysbiosis.

It's funny because many folks in the forums were telling me to eat more fermented foods, take a couple of spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar in water before meals, and to eat more yogurt/kefir... and that's exactly what the doc told me to do! She also e-mailed me links on Amazon for a probiotic that she said has worked for the vast majority of her patients with dysbiosis; when it is shipped to me, I will take the probiotics in the evening. She also told me that what works even better than the apple cider vinegar before meals is a peppermint & oregano oil supplement, which should arrive at the same time as the probiotic supplement.

She seemed very confident that I would feel fantastic almost immediately upon taking these supplements. Looking at my food diary, she also commended me for not "eating junk" and that it was obvious that I enjoyed cooking, which is good (duh).

It was a very strange, new, and interesting appointment and I'm happy with the results. Next up: finding an MD so I can get a full physical including blood work. I'm excited to finally see what my cholesterol panel is for the first time since being primal[-ish].

Yesterday...

B: Smoothie (coconut milk, 1/2 banana, cocoa, almond butter, cinnamon)
    L: Greek deli take-out (grilled shrimp, grilled zucchini, feta/avocado/onion/tomato salad, marinated cauliflower)
    D: Grilled chicken and a sweet potato. Dried mango slices soonafter, along with seltzer for refreshment!

I'm noticing that I love love love seltzer now. I used to hate it as a kid, because I remember it was the only drink besides milk and orange juice that my late grandmother would have in her apartment. I hated drinking it, but she served it with lunch and dinner for me. Now I absolutely adore seltzer - flavored and plain. Sometimes I flavor it myself. I even created a paleo/primal-friendly "egg cream" in my blog. All Dressed Up | [blank] this

Okay, no more shameless plugs... for now...

I am reading aalllll about dysbiosis in Fiber Menace right now. Am I weird for finding it super interesting? It details how your digestive system works, to start, and common causes for digestive issues, and how fiber is super evil etc. It's great. I believe I am also struggling from dysbiosis, made worse recently from antibiotics. I am low-fiber and low-sugar, except I'm eating yogurt regularly, and supplementing Acidophilus twice a day. What's the probiotic she's having you take? I should get myself to a naturopathic doctor someday.

Following your blorg, btw, I'll try to comment occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I am reading aalllll about dysbiosis in Fiber Menace right now. Am I weird for finding it super interesting? It details how your digestive system works, to start, and common causes for digestive issues, and how fiber is super evil etc. It's great. I believe I am also struggling from dysbiosis, made worse recently from antibiotics. I am low-fiber and low-sugar, except I'm eating yogurt regularly, and supplementing Acidophilus twice a day. What's the probiotic she's having you take? I should get myself to a naturopathic doctor someday.

Following your blorg, btw, I'll try to comment occasionally.
    Thanks for following my blog!

The probiotic my ND recommended is 4 capsules of this to be taken in the evening: Amazon.com: HMF Forte: Health & Personal Care

For the dysbiosis (and getting rid of post-meal bloating) she recommended this to be taken 20 minutes before my main meals: Amazon.com: Natural Factors Peppermint and Oregano Oil Softgels, 60-Count: Health & Personal Care

I placed orders for 120 capsules of each because they're cheaper online than in my local natural foods and health stores.

I'm very interested in what antibiotics actually do to cause dysbiosis. My ND mentioned something about liver damage, as I took Accutane products for 3 years. Despite my weekly bloodwork coming back fine throughout those years, my ND said that there could still be issues with my liver because of it, especially since I was also on antibiotics so frequently as a kid. This, she said, would also be the cause of my bloating (rather than nuts, which is what I thought was causing it... despite it not disappearing since decreasing my nut intake). I wonder what exactly the antibiotics + other meds do to cause such havoc to our digestion?

Antibiotics destroy your intestinal flora. Not having any means you can't really process anything, so you get IBS and all other lovely digestive issues. Poop is mostly the result of bacteria, not fiber or water. At least, that's what Fiber Menace seems to be teaching me. I don't think I was on antibiotics THAT much, but I must just be a delicate flower. Or maybe the anti-depressants I was on and off of for 8 years did something.

Holy crap. Did you see Mark's post today? Is Candida a Real Health Problem? | Mark's Daily Apple

Couldn't be more appropriate regarding our discussion!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast