Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Will Run For Bacon" - MissJecka's Journal page 2

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Kefir is a bad idea. Whoa. I don't know why my stomach hates it, but it sure as shit does! (Even folks in this forum had no answers for me!)

B: Kefir
    L: Local cheddar, roast beef, veggies.
    D: Chicken tikka masala over steamed local broccoli (from my CSA box) and a few handfuls of coconut chips.

Exercise: Upper body using my pull-up bar.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

ezeflier is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Hmm, I'm bad at this journal thing. I'll just talk about yesterday (Tuesday). Monday is a blur.

B: A cup of plain kefir in the morning, as I want to give probiotics a chance.
    L: 1/2 chicken with mashed butternut squash and grilled zucchini.
    D: 1/2 chicken (I ate a whole chicken, apparently!) with sweet potato fries and grilled veggies.

The dinner gave me a crazy upset stomach. The meal was from a restaurant, so I'm thinking the fries were fried in some kind of canola/soybean/peanut oil or something. Regardless, my stomach is still feeling quite icky even the next day, and I already drank some kefir at hopes that it eases things.

Exercise: None. Took a rest day, happily.
    Many times fries are floured.. And then the fryer is often shared with things that are breaded in wheat flour. Maybe it's a gluten thing?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ezeflier View Post
    Many times fries are floured.. And then the fryer is often shared with things that are breaded in wheat flour. Maybe it's a gluten thing?

Cheers
    That's a possibility. Whatever it was, I should've known better than to get something like that at a restaurant. We don't eat out too often, and now I remember why!

It took about 18 hours for my stomach to start feeling decent...

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I agree on the fries...just avoid at restaurants. Hell...just avoid restaurants altogether!

Amazing body transformation MissJecka! I recently gave my mom Wheat Belly and it really resonated with her. I've always feared she was going to drop dead at any given moment. I have no idea her weight, but she has at least been off of wheat for nearly 2 months and dropped 22 pounds! I am so proud and hoping she stays with it!

I avoid kefir...and all things dairy. Kefir is made with grains too, right? A vegan girlfriend tried to get me into it, but I politely declined.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I avoid kefir...and all things dairy. Kefir is made with grains too, right? A vegan girlfriend tried to get me into it, but I politely declined.
    Kefir is diary, not made with grains. It contains a lot of probiotics and is commonly called "drinkable yogurt"... and tastes pretty much just like yogurt.

Anywho, I don't recall what I ate yesterday, but I did do Mark's Primal Movements Progression assessment and posted about it here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64950.html I'm hoping this is the tool I need to get stronger and do a pull-up for the first time in my life! Next step: do sprints... because I keep telling myself I'll try, but just haven't!

Today...

B: The "bread" mentioned in this thread with sausage scrambled with swiss chard and bell peppers, plus an apple and half an avocado on the side.
    Snack: A few handfuls of coconut flakes + 10 macadamia nuts.
    D: Eggs, bacon, swiss chard, grilled zucchini, and a faux-hummus I made out of sesame seeds and all sorts of other nutritious stuff. A few handfuls of coconut flakes soonafter.

Exercise: None! Rest day!

What a weekend!

Saturday...

B: Kick-ass 2-minute coconut bread (I added lemon juice and lemon zest to the base recipe) with a diced-up apple cooked in butter and cinnamon, all topped with home-made coconut cream.
    S: Sort- serve ice cream... in a cone.... whoops!
    D: Omelet, a ton of veggies, bacon, and avocado. On the side I had a chocolate shake made with 1/2 avocado, 1/3 frozen banana, home-made coconut milk, a couple of ice cubes, a bit of cinnamon, and a sprinkling of coconut powder. Lots of water throughout the rest of the night.
    Exercise: A long-ass 14-mile bike ride followed by lots of standing (at the Red Bull Cliff-Diving World Series!). I also had to carry my bike up and down 20+ steps. Twice.

Sunday...
    B: Irish Breakfast at our local greasy spoon diner. Iced coffee.
    S: Coconut chips, macadamia nuts.
    D: Another 2-minute coconut bread, this time with parsley and garlic powder in the batter, served with home-made faux hummus and half an avocado that was about a day away from being too brown for my liking. Some more macadamia nuts and tons of water afterwards.
    Exercise: A "Four Essential Movements" progression.

I'm thinking I may have screwed up my progress in the 21-Day Sugar Detox I'm doing, thanks to the ice cream. I felt like shit after the Saturday bike ride, as Sunday morning involved 3 potty trips in the span of 20 minutes. Ugh.

TMI? Whoopsie daisy!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Hey, just cruised through your journal, looks like good stuff. For tough-mudder-esque things, how essential is running? I'm not a runner, I HATE running, but I'd really like to do TM or Warrior Dash or something like that. Next year would be awesome, but at this rate of barely exercising (some kettlebell and body weight stuff at home, biking 2x weekly), I'm not sure how feasible that would be. Upper-body strength is also a really weak spot for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hey, just cruised through your journal, looks like good stuff. For tough-mudder-esque things, how essential is running? I'm not a runner, I HATE running, but I'd really like to do TM or Warrior Dash or something like that. Next year would be awesome, but at this rate of barely exercising (some kettlebell and body weight stuff at home, biking 2x weekly), I'm not sure how feasible that would be. Upper-body strength is also a really weak spot for me.
    With Warrior Dash, Mudathlon, Mud Run, and other shorter (5k-ish) mud runs, running skills aren't really necessary. If you can run a 5k straight, that's fine and dandy, but the obstacles break everything up to very, very short runs. I think the longest continuous time I ran during my Mudathlon last year was 2 minutes.

For the longer 10k-ish mud runs (Tough Mudder, etc.) running skills are somewhat needed. On the Tough Mudder site, they say they recommend folks be able to run at least a 5k distance without stopping. If you hate running, give the Couch-to-5k running plan a try, as it's a really easy way to build up running endurance. That's how I started running, even though I'm not one of those folks that lives to run. (I haven't gone running in over a week, except for one afternoon where I did sprints!)

I also have very little upper body strength, so I can totally sympathize with you on that! I used to never be able to do more than 2 or 3 knee/modified push-ups and now I can do about 20 or so (and almost do one full "real" push-up... go me!). So, although I'm leaps and bounds better than I was years ago, my upper body is definitely the weakest part of me. I'm working on that so I can have a fighting chance of pulling myself up some of the obstacles.

But, with all of the mud races, people help you out along the way. I ran the Mudathlon alone and there were plenty of people along the way helping me out: giving me a boost to get over a 10-foot high wall, pulling me over a huge haybale, shoving me up a muddy hill... you get the idea. So, it's definitely a goal to be able to maybe do the monkey bars (I basically hung for 3 seconds and fell when I tried those last year) but I'm not stressing out about the strength stuff. The point of these things is to raise money and have fun! So, don't be too scared of it. Give it a try!

Monday...

B: Coconut milk, handful of macadamia nuts.
    L: Sausage, eggplant, bell pepper, apple.
    D: Sausages, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, handful or two of coconut chips, a few macadamia nuts.
    Exercise: None.

Yesterday...

B: Sausage, eggplant, bell pepper, apple.
    S: Pistachios, coconut chips.
    D: 2-minute coconut bread, bacon, handful of coconut chips.
    Exercise: Primal Movements Progression -- looks like I can advance to knee push-ups and one-legged assisted pull-ups! Go me!

As a result of a lot of thought about how my body is feeling and inquiring on the forums, I've made an appointment next week to see a Naturopathic Doctor in my area. She's having me fill out a food log in the meantime, including bowel movements (how often, how it feels, and all sorts of gross stuff) and my mood/emotion. I'm excited!

I have been having some annoying GI/BM issues and I honestly think it's because of my sudden affection for coconut. I've been eating handfuls of coconut chips daily and I think it's shocking my body. I've read throughout the forums that too much coconut too quickly can cause diarrhea, nausea, etc. so I think I need to... unfortunately... restrict my coconut intake, for now. But, we'll see what the doc says!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've had that issue with coconut oil, it once made me sick to my stomach and get diarrhea...at the same time . Check out gutsense.org for more information than you ever thought you wanted to know on poop! It's my new favorite site. I hope the ND works out for you!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast