Thread: Gout page

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member

Gout

Primal Fuel
    I'm generally inclined to think that primal or paleo eating and exercising are the best and most healthy lifestyles. I mean, how can you go wrong cutting sugar and wheat products from your diet and cooling it on other starches? And it's a relief not to be running miles and miles every morning. I do think there are some potential pitfalls, though, for us moderns, perhaps gout being one of them for those who are inclined to suffer from it.

I know Mark has addressed gout a couple of times, I only mention it because I had a fairly severe gout attack about 6 months into adopting the primal blueprint way of eating. It so happens that the same thing had happened to me about 10 years before, while I was on the Eades protein power diet, which is similar in many ways. To my discredit, I ate SAD during the 10 intervening years. Anecdotal I know, but 2 incidents in 2 diet changes I can't ignore. I've also seen repeated questions on this forum from people having problems with their big toes.

My theory as to why I experienced gout, and why others may, while on PB, is that I increased protein intake to replace the carbs I was cutting out, while simultaneously increasing fruit intake to replace the sugars I was no longer eating (cutting out sugar is difficult IMO). So, too much protein as well as too much fructose are the generally accepted causes of gout and I was guilty of both sins. It so happens that rapid weigh loss can also cause gout and these diets can cause that and did with me.

I think with the PB you are supposed to replace starchy carbs more with vegetables than you are with proteins, so if I understand right, if I'd followed Mark's recommendations more carefully, I'd have been fine. I doubt if primitive man had access to fruits except during certain times of the year too, so going crazy on fruit is probably not the best idea.

Anyway, just throwing this out there, to see if anyone agrees or disagrees. If I'm right, maybe it will save someone from a lot of pain.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cree View Post
    I'm generally inclined to think that primal or paleo eating and exercising are the best and most healthy lifestyles. I mean, how can you go wrong cutting sugar and wheat products from your diet and cooling it on other starches? And it's a relief not to be running miles and miles every morning. I do think there are some potential pitfalls, though, for us moderns, perhaps gout being one of them for those who are inclined to suffer from it.

I know Mark has addressed gout a couple of times, I only mention it because I had a fairly severe gout attack about 6 months into adopting the primal blueprint way of eating. It so happens that the same thing had happened to me about 10 years before, while I was on the Eades protein power diet, which is similar in many ways. To my discredit, I ate SAD during the 10 intervening years. Anecdotal I know, but 2 incidents in 2 diet changes I can't ignore. I've also seen repeated questions on this forum from people having problems with their big toes.

My theory as to why I experienced gout, and why others may, while on PB, is that I increased protein intake to replace the carbs I was cutting out, while simultaneously increasing fruit intake to replace the sugars I was no longer eating (cutting out sugar is difficult IMO). So, too much protein as well as too much fructose are the generally accepted causes of gout and I was guilty of both sins. It so happens that rapid weigh loss can also cause gout and these diets can cause that and did with me.

I think with the PB you are supposed to replace starchy carbs more with vegetables than you are with proteins, so if I understand right, if I'd followed Mark's recommendations more carefully, I'd have been fine. I doubt if primitive man had access to fruits except during certain times of the year too, so going crazy on fruit is probably not the best idea.

Anyway, just throwing this out there, to see if anyone agrees or disagrees. If I'm right, maybe it will save someone from a lot of pain.
    Protein intake should be based on your needs (activity levels, body mass, blah blah). If you are replacing calories from carbohydrates, fats (from healthy ruminants/other healthy animals/tropical fruits) are the way to go.

Grass fed beef isn't all that high in fat, however.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cree View Post
    Grass fed beef isn't all that high in fat, however.
    I beg to differ. So does Kurt Harris.
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - Wild vs Grass vs Grain Fed*ruminants
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - "Lean" grass fed bison*images
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - More on Grass Fed*Bison

Ah, those links are very interesting, Rich.

As a cardiac patient, which I am also, I have to weigh all this very seriously...thanks for the post.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Gout is caused by excess sugar/fructose in the diet.
    Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My background: Everybody in my family gets gout at some point, It's been a given for as far back as we can trace it.

Eat fattier cuts!!! Short ribs, blade roasts, frigging bacon! These things will make you feel better. Also make sure you aren't dehydrating yourself as that can be it's own cause of gout if it's chronic.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi sam,
    I am a 46 yr old woman and i had gout a couple of months ago, no family history. Who knew toes could pain so much. The worse tingling pain ever.
    Anyway I put it down to not drinking enough water as I consume a lot of meat. Also the night befor it started I had a gin and tonic. My Dr asked me if I had had a drink. I felt like a right alcoholic, I wouldn't mind it had been the first drink I'd had in months. Also I drink a lot of Coke zero, addicted to the rubbish.
    I think drinking plenty of water flushes you out.