Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is mixing proteins a bad idea, and if so why? page

Sabre is offline Senior Member

Is mixing proteins a bad idea, and if so why?

Personal experience confirms for me that mixing, say, steak and chicken in one meal is not only just plain weird but causes digestive issues and tiredness. The body seems to have a hard time breaking down the food. What's the consensus on this? Is there science behind it? Maybe the different molecular structure of the proteins is "confusing" to the enzymes and harder to break down.

I ask because I suspect that mixing eggs and bacon might be more difficult for the body to break down than bacon or eggs alone. Robb Wolf says he has bacon for breakfast, often with eggs.

Final question: is mixing fats similarly problematic? Mixing olive oil with coconut oil, for example.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What problem? Eggs and bacon go together like pork and beef. Burgers and cheese. Trout with almonds. Turducken.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I say fry and egg and top that steak. It may make a difference but I think it is over thinking the situation.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna go with ....No to both your questions. No problems with mixing proteins or fats.

Interesting that I just had meatballs (made with pork, beef, beef liver, and eggs) swimming in its own fat with a tall glass of raw milk for lunch

One thing to understand is that there is very general enzymes that do the jobs first. For instance pepsin cleave all proteins that enter the stomach regardless of what animal it came from......bile is secreted in response of all fats in the small intestine to aid in emulsification.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, cheers.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    How could you guys forget surf and turf????

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite meals is a meat medley

George is offline Junior Member
    I've never seen anything other than recommendations (not scientifically based) to not eat more than one type of protein, and there isn't anything to back up the recommendation other than to have people eat less. Fats actually help to absorb fat-soluable vitamins. What is more important are the types of fats being used than the mixing of fats.

More of a problem is the mixing of unnatural things in what used to be good foods (like HFCS in just about everything packaged). When you eat whole foods you have to read a lot less labels.

ryan54 is offline Member
    You seem to have all the scientific evidence you need if your body does not react well to it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    You seem to have all the scientific evidence you need if your body does not react well to it.
    Yeah...if you react poorly to something obviously tweak it a bit to figure out the issue. Academically though, I can't think of any feasible reasons off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast