Thread: bacon fat mayo = GAMECHANGER page

amdws1234 is offline Member

bacon fat mayo = GAMECHANGER

Primal Fuel
    I've been making my own mayo since going primal 8 months ago, skeptically using expensive "light tasting olive oil" with my lovely pastured eggs. It's so much better than store bought so I tried to forget the skepticism and accept my mayo as a big win on my personal war with Omega 6's. When Mark's post on olive oil appeared the other day which echoed my skepticism on nasty olive oil posers, I struggled with what to do.

I ran across using bacon fat as the oil in the mayo recipe. Slightly perplexed, still slightly skeptical, I tried.

I could eat it plain! Absolutely the best thing I have ever made. Cole slaw, delish. Brocolli slaw, delish. Using the rest of it today for homemade ranch dressing... cannot wait. Here's the recipe, just substituted melted bacon fat for the oil.

Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo!! | Everyday Paleo

Best part... I was collecting more forested pork belly fat than I could possibly use in cooking. It's basically free with purchase of my pork belly. Delicious and cost conscious.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdws1234 View Post
    I've been making my own mayo since going primal 8 months ago, skeptically using expensive "light tasting olive oil" with my lovely pastured eggs. It's so much better than store bought so I tried to forget the skepticism and accept my mayo as a big win on my personal war with Omega 6's. When Mark's post on olive oil appeared the other day which echoed my skepticism on nasty olive oil posers, I struggled with what to do.

I ran across using bacon fat as the oil in the mayo recipe. Slightly perplexed, still slightly skeptical, I tried.

I could eat it plain! Absolutely the best thing I have ever made. Cole slaw, delish. Brocolli slaw, delish. Using the rest of it today for homemade ranch dressing... cannot wait. Here's the recipe, just substituted melted bacon fat for the oil.

Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo!! | Everyday Paleo

Best part... I was collecting more forested pork belly fat than I could possibly use in cooking. It's basically free with purchase of my pork belly. Delicious and cost conscious.
    OMG. This sound awesome. Thank you for the idea -- I'm trying it this weekend...

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Great idea!

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any tips? I've done the olive oil mayo and it tastes like butt on a butt. What seasonings do you use, or is the bacons natural deliciousness enough?
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Excellent idea!

I've also been making my mayo with a ratio of 1/4 coconut oil to 3/4 avocado oil (my recipe calls for 3/4 cup oil total, I just kind of eyeball the amounts). Perfect consistency from the fridge, but don't add any more coconut oil than that or it gets too firm when refrigerated.

What's the bacon fat version like, after you've refrigerated it?

Quote Originally Posted by katzilla View Post
    Do you have any tips? I've done the olive oil mayo and it tastes like butt on a butt. What seasonings do you use, or is the bacons natural deliciousness enough?
    I used her recipe exactly. I ran out of light olive oil one time and had to use 1/2 light and 1/2 regular olive oil. It was inedible.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    What's the bacon fat version like, after you've refrigerated it?
    It's firmer than mayo definitely, not as firm as bacon fat though. May have to let it sit out of the fridge a bit before I try the ranch dressing.

In the cole slaw and brocolli slaw, both are fine, probably because cut with white vinegar.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdws1234 View Post
    It's firmer than mayo definitely, not as firm as bacon fat though. May have to let it sit out of the fridge a bit before I try the ranch dressing.

In the cole slaw and brocolli slaw, both are fine, probably because cut with white vinegar.
    Oh, very good. Maybe the thing is to have two versions on hand, and use the bacon fat one for any recipe that has another liquid added to the mayo, and the avocado oil one for making egg salad, tuna salad, etc.

Thanks!

Here's my recipe:

1 egg yolk, at room temperature
    2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon cold water
    3/4 cup oil, depending on taste:
    --EVOO
    OR
    --approx. 1/4 cup coconut oil + 1/2 cup EVOO (not so olive oil tasting)
    OR
    --approx. 1/4 cup coconut oil 1/2 cup avocado oil
    OR
    --3/4 cup avocado oil

Whisk together the egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, salt and water by hand until frothy, about 1 minute. (It works best done in a narrow cup with an immersion blender instead of whisking.)

Continue whisking while drizzling the oil in very, very slowly. Once the mayonnaise starts to thicken, you can drizzle the rest of the oil in a bit faster, whisking the whole time. The mayonnaise is done when all the oil has been mixed in and the consistency is fairly thick.