Thread: Squat questions page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Squat questions

There's this personal trainer walking around in my gym and it also paleo and starting strength and he's so happily surprised that I do SS as well that he sometimes give me free "lessons". Because he does SS I usually trust his advice and he usually does give good tips. However this time he gave me some squatting advice which didn't really make sense to me.

1. "Because you go so deep you have a very obvious hipdrive where you arch your back."

I thought bending was bad for your back, but arching wasn't right?

2. "stand with feet on shoulder width and point your toes forward"

Take or ignore?
    Thanks
    well then

Rippetoe tells you to point your feet 45 deg out, so this guy you're talking about is a moron, scumbag.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    Rippetoe tells you to point your feet 45 deg out, so this guy you're talking about is a moron, scumbag.
    Cool then, thanks
    well then

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. But with regards to SS: wide stance, toes angled out (mine are ~30 degrees from straight ahead, you want your toes pointed in the direction your knee moves so when you're at the bottom of your squat your knees are tracking over your toes).

Hipdrive is what you want from the bottom of a full squat, just don't bend forward to create it, that turns the movement from a squat to a good morning. You should be arching your back somewhat when you lock down your spine for the movement. The worst thing that could happen is for your back to bubble out.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

emerson is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    Hipdrive is what you want from the bottom of a full squat, just don't bend forward to create it, that turns the movement from a squat to a good morning. You should be arching your back somewhat when you lock down your spine for the movement.
    This is exactly what you want, the back angle shouldn't change much immediately going into or coming out of the hole so as to maintain the bar as close to the center of mass as possible. i.e. over mid-foot; focusing on hip drive acts to reduce induced moments that result from changing the back angle, like Federkeil says making a squat a GM is undesirable, therefore by maintaining the back angle immediately out of the hole by driving the hips and holding steady every body part above them so the bar stays over the middle of your foot makes the lift more efficient. Anyone that says otherwise might be out to hurt you.

On the other hand an argument could be made that by making the lift less efficient we are somehow working harder, but if you're working Starting Strength, Mad Caw, Stronglifts, 5/3/1, or whatever, i'm pretty sure that even entertaining any efficiency/inefficiency thoughts when you can't even lift 2XBW in the major lifts is probably grounds to say YNDTFP.