Thread: Eating fruits and fats together vs. separately page

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member

Eating fruits and fats together vs. separately

Shop Now
    I was just wondering the other day if there's any benefit to avoiding the combination of high-fat foods such as bacon, nut butters or cheese and fruit (esp. rich in sugar, e.g. bananas) in the same meal. I know that on one hand, eating foods with a higher sugar content on an empty stomach raises your blood sugar faster than if you combine them with something that's high in fat and/or protein, but on the other hand, it seems some of the unhealthiest foods out there combine a high fat and high sugar content - think milk chocolate, ice cream, etc. Anyone have a good resource to assuage my concerns (or confirm them - hopefully not)?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Eating quality should free you from the minutia of these sorts of details.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any specific advice, but I am looking at the same sort of question in terms of maximising both my fat metabolism as well as the glucose side.
    So my idea was to spend a 3-4 days/week low carb, focussed on fasting and ketosis, burning out the glycogen stores, then carb refeeds to max out the glycogen and start the process again.
    So the idea would be to cut fruit & starchy tubers in the 3-4 days low carb.
    Would be great to hear any opinions on this

FlyingPig is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I don't have any specific advice, but I am looking at the same sort of question in terms of maximising both my fat metabolism as well as the glucose side.
    So my idea was to spend a 3-4 days/week low carb, focussed on fasting and ketosis, burning out the glycogen stores, then carb refeeds to max out the glycogen and start the process again.
    So the idea would be to cut fruit & starchy tubers in the 3-4 days low carb.
    Would be great to hear any opinions on this
    I'm trying something similar: cyclical (carb refeed every 7-10 days) or targeted (refeed around work-out) ketogenic diet. From what I have read so far this seems to be the most efficient way to lose fat.

As far as the original question is concerned, I'd be interested in some references too. From my experience, fruit and fats don't tend to go well together. In the last few days I've been eating full fat Greek yoghurt with grapes added (made the mistake of buying 2 tubs of grapes, 2 for 1, and didn't feel like throwing out the second one), and I do look a bit fatter in the mirror. Previously, I kept losing weight/inches when eating the fatty yoghurt but then I was in or close to ketosis.

My observation is very superficial and limited of course, but in order to lose the last 15lbs (30 year old male, 200lbs now, was 230lbs 3 months ago) I am going to avoid fruit and only have it on the carb refeed day (and even then I will focus on good starch like sweet potato). Once I am at my target weight and body fat percentage, I will experiment to see how much my body can take as I love my fruit, but I find I have to be careful with it to see fat loss.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.

EyeOfRound, you look pretty ripped to me already, so why don't you just try it out? N=1 and all that jazz...

ryan54 is offline Member
    Fruit is in a pre-digested state and ideally should be eaten alone.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Eat em together to avoid using fruit for snacking. Same with nuts. Make em part of your meals.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Anyone have a good resource to assuage my concerns (or confirm them - hopefully not)?
    This is totally personal. I used to do a 22 mile fell race every year. My en route food was Mars bars followed by bananas. Mars bar for a quick sugar hit and banana to keep from having a quick sugar drop. I think that food is just that, food. I am sure our ancestors ate what they could get when they could get it and our bodies are likely adapted for that varied highly seasonal intake of meat, fish, insects, plants, roots, fruit and nuts.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.