Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What percentage of fat is in full fat yogurt? page

Matil is offline Junior Member

What percentage of fat is in full fat yogurt?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been having trouble finding full fat greek yogurt so I've been calling health food stores and a couple of them said they had the Liberte and Olympic brands with 10-11 percent fat. Is that full fat? Are these good brands?

I live in Canada so I cant get Fage and its hard to find a lot of things like this here.

Anyone know any good places in Vancouver Canada that sells full fat greek yogurt?

Any suggestiongs on types of stores or chains to try? I've already been to whole foods and the only full fat brand they have is Greek Godz.

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    IIRC, full fat milk has about 4% fat, so full fat yogurt should be about the same. Where I am located (Virginia), Cabot 10% fat Greek yogurt is available. As I understand it, they add milk fat (I guess the fat that is removed from milk to make skim milk?) to make the fat content higher than full milk.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    10% is good. But I can't share brands with you, as we don't live on the same side as the world.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    I've also had a hard time finding full-fat yogurt here in the US. Even Whole Foods didn't have any, but I did find Greek Gods at a local "normal" grocery store. *sigh* But no guarantee if the cows it came from were pastured.

The nutrition data for plain, full-fat yogurt, per 4 oz/113g is this:
    Calories 69
    Fat 4g
    Carbs 5g
    Protein 4g
    (per Nutrition Data, Yogurt, plain, whole milk)

The nutrition data on the back of the Greek Gods container for 4 oz/113g is this:
    Calories 130
    Fat 11g
    Carbs 5g
    Protein 4g
    --and one of the ingredients listed is "cream", so I imagine they added cream to the full-fat milk when they made it, to increase the fat content. Another ingredient is pectin, I'm not sure how much that would affect the nutrition data.

I've tried making my own yogurt in the past, but used low-fat milk and it came out nasty. It's no wonder they add sugar and fruit to low/non-fat yogurt. I may have to try making it again using organic whole milk.

I found this on the Greek Gods website: "Traditional Greek Yogurt is a strained yogurt typically made with cow's milk or goat's milk and usually contains between 9%-10% milk fat, whereas typical whole milk varieties of yogurt found in your local grocer generally don't exceed 3.5% milk fat. The higher milk fat and unique manufacturing process makes for a much smoother body, and creamier mouth appeal that you won't find in traditional yogurts."

Matil is offline Junior Member
    It seems most peoples gripe with greek gods is that it uses skim milk products. I read liberte's ingredients list and it listed skim milk on it, is this bad?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I make homemade from whole milk OR if your feeling frisky half/half. Excellent stuff and very easy to make for a fraction of the cost Homemade Yogurt | Paleo Diet Lifestyle. You will not be disappointed and you have the final say on fat content and/or sweeteners.

You can replace the starter in his instructions with a tablespoon or two of commercial live culture yogurt (i use fage...but any live culture sort should do).
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I
    I've tried making my own yogurt in the past, but used low-fat milk and it came out nasty. It's no wonder they add sugar and fruit to low/non-fat yogurt. I may have to try making it again using organic whole milk.
    Oh yeah, the low fat crud was definitely the problem. Definitely give it another go.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    10% in mine

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    11% Greek yogurt is the highest fat I've found (in canada). I buy anything from 6% and higher. Greek is thicker because some of the liquid (whey) is drained off, which also concentrates the fat and solids.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matil View Post
    I've been having trouble finding full fat greek yogurt so I've been calling health food stores and a couple of them said they had the Liberte and Olympic brands with 10-11 percent fat. Is that full fat? Are these good brands?

I live in Canada so I cant get Fage and its hard to find a lot of things like this here.

Anyone know any good places in Vancouver Canada that sells full fat greek yogurt?

Any suggestiongs on types of stores or chains to try? I've already been to whole foods and the only full fat brand they have is Greek Godz.
    I buy the Olympic Brand Krema yogurt. It's 11%. You can get it at Save on, Thrifty's, Natures Fair, and I think Safeway. Where are you in Vancouver? I'm in Langley. Cheers to the West Coast!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast